Lots of hammer on's and pull offs, lots of practicing, and lots of ego.
Thats Billy Sheehan in a sentence.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
ive never seen bass wanking like that before, wow. but wanking or not, that is some mad skillz.
"Blues is what you got when everything else is
gone." - J.Lansdowne
Quote by BassistGal
Lots of hammer on's and pull offs, lots of practicing, and lots of ego.
Thats Billy Sheehan in a sentence.

Add "repetitiveness and lack of creativity" and you're set.
sometimes he uses 3 fingers

man that is some wanking, it is wanking, but it takes some skill to do that
Quote by Lendorav

I usaully don't like taking the piss out of artists, but this is just too much.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Quote by Lendorav

I would disagree, while he does tend to wank occasionally, you can't seriously take that solo as an example of his work. I think he's a great player who's definitely complimented vai over the years.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Lendorav

I really hate it when people get all pissy when a wanker takes 10 minutes out of a 3 hour show to wank - the fact that the bass solo is an extended intro to a song that Billy Sheehan wrote (Addicted To That Rush), a song that has plenty of pocket, says it all. He's a fantastic player who can fit his "mad skillz" into "normal" songs without making them sound busy - and he's not a guy who plays like "OK, now I'm going to play 8th note roots, and when the guitar stops, I'll solo" either. The man can do it all. And, for what it's worth, I think that solo showed plenty of variety for a shred solo - shredding, tapping, pinch harmonics - almost sounding like a piano player at some points.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I wish I had half the skill that guy has at soloing. He's incredible. However, I must say that I'm not envying his shirt.
Quote by thefitz
I really hate it when people get all pissy when a wanker takes 10 minutes out of a 3 hour show to wank - the fact that the bass solo is an extended intro to a song that Billy Sheehan wrote (Addicted To That Rush), a song that has plenty of pocket, says it all. He's a fantastic player who can fit his "mad skillz" into "normal" songs without making them sound busy - and he's not a guy who plays like "OK, now I'm going to play 8th note roots, and when the guitar stops, I'll solo" either. The man can do it all. And, for what it's worth, I think that solo showed plenty of variety for a shred solo - shredding, tapping, pinch harmonics - almost sounding like a piano player at some points.

Despite the fact that I somewhat dislike wanking, I'll have to agree with you.

Also, just because Sheehan wanks like this, doesn't mean he plays entire songs like this