I was talking to my cousin in the hospital. He had three of his toes removed from an accident at work. He said sometimes it feels like they're still there even though they aren't. He had a cloth on his foot, and he said they remove it 3 times a week to look at his foot, and when they do, it feels like he is having that part of his foot ripped off again, and he said that it's the most painful thing he has ever had to deal with. He also said if he moves the toes on his other uninjured foot, it still feels like the toes he used to have on the other foot are there and moving.

So my question is this; Do you think we sometimes what we percieve is an exaggeration, or underestimation of reality? Perhaps even a complete lie?
Well, color blindness, different tastes, even the whole height thing.
To a six year old everything is bigger than it is for a 12 year old
2 ducks and a rabbi walk into a bar.
The rabbi enjoys a nice drink and the ducks are shooed out so that health services aren't called in.
The day proceeds as normal.
Meh, sounds like trip talk to me.

Or PTSD.

Edit: But really, of course I've thought about these things. I'm an existentialist and a hippie, what do you expect?
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
No, it often happens with lost digits or limbs. So I apply the same to life, and call it all perfect reality.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
*cough*religion*cough*
i know the types of pains hes having are called phantom pains, or somethings like that, i've always been intrigued by them
I want to work in revelations, not just spin silly tales for money.I want to fish as deep down as possible into my own subconscious in the belief that once that far down, everyone will understand because they are the same that far down.
My father knew someone who had an entire phantom arm, nevermind a few toes On occasion he actually tried to pick stuff up and then got really angry and frustrated when he remembered he no longer had an arm.

It's just something that gets so deeply ingrained to your mind, it isn't let go of so easily.
His brain cells are still wired to the lost toes. Eventually from lack of use, they will lose their function, or be engulfed by another function in the brain.

Simple.
Real eyes realise real lies.
If I lost an arm, I think I would rather falsely beleive it was still there than feel the lack of an arm that I used to have. Might just be me though.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Quote by Magic Jim
Well, color blindness, different tastes, even the whole height thing.
To a six year old everything is bigger than it is for a 12 year old

Well I look back at my younger years and I was short so everyone seemed older than me. But then I see all these kids around those years and they seem pretty young for their generation. So I think all these people I grew up with havent really changed.

Im confused.
I think you get used too it and when it's not there anymore you feel like it still is. It's like when I got a hair cut (I have long hair and I cut it short) and if my nose itched I would try to move my hair because it was what I would've done with long hair. Your brain gets used to it.
It's called Phantom Limb Syndrome, and it's no perceptual phenomenon. It's simply just the brain thinking the limbs are still there, therefore giving the sensation of movement, not actually accomplishing anything.

In some cases, when people who have lost a hand or arm, and it starts to itch, they simply show a mirrored image of the arm they still have, and scratch that, then the sight of the arm in the mirror being scratched, relieves the itching.
High as tits
yeah, same thing happened to my aunt's big toe. before she died from meth, she would say that when they cut it off, it felt like she was moving it, and she could *feel* it when the doctor checked up on the amputation. I think it's just our brain trying to cope with the idea of losing the limb/appendage. personally, I think the idea of perceiving things that don't exist isn't as weird as why I dream the future (people who haven't had this happen to them, it's where you dream that something happens and it actually happens).

I can't wait until we figure out the whole human brain
If you can play music with enthusiasm and an honest effort, then no matter how flawed, noisy and unclean the music is, you are a musician. If you play just to be the best, you are not a musician, nor are you worthy of any musician's recognition. - me
Quote by huevomax
I think you get used too it and when it's not there anymore you feel like it still is. It's like when I got a hair cut (I have long hair and I cut it short) and if my nose itched I would try to move my hair because it was what I would've done with long hair. Your brain gets used to it.

I had the same thing happen to me. I had hair down to the middle of my chest at one point - and after I cut it, I was STILL 'brushing' my hair out of my face and trying to run my hands through it.
Quote by cm_richardson
personally, I think the idea of perceiving things that don't exist isn't as weird as why I dream the future (people who haven't had this happen to them, it's where you dream that something happens and it actually happens).

haha
High as tits
Somtimes I wonder if I am just some crazy person in a nut house living in my own little world. Reality is just an illusion, and my own cognative imagination is fueling the world that I percieve. How do we honstly know that what we take in with out five senses is real? What validity is there? Maybe Im all alone, and everybody is just a figment of my imagination that I have conjuered up myself.

...Or maybe not.
Quote by Meths

Obviously I'm biased towards the correct point of view. What kind of retard isn't?