could I have some examples of the Ionian mode in rock songs to get a good reference point? I have no idea =/
Gear-
Cherry Epiphone SG Special
Vox AD30
Boss DS-1
the ionian mode is just simply hte major scale. it shouldn't be tough to find some.
Quote by NickSK
Um. Every rock song ever created?

Phail.

Most are minor.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Phail.

Most are minor.

Which is relative to Major. But yes, I realize my error and they are different.
Last edited by NickSK at Nov 23, 2007,
Yet still isn't major.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Iron Maiden - The Number of The Beast
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Ænimus Prime
Iron Maiden - The Number of The Beast
Not Ionian.

At all.

I'm thinking some pop-punk, perhaps "The Rock Show" by Blink 182. That also shows how you can use the relative minor in the chorus and bridge!
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Not Ionian.

At all.

True. I remember reading somewhere that it was Ionian, but now that I look at it its more Mixolydian. Am I right?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Ænimus Prime
True. I remember reading somewhere that it was Ionian, but now that I look at it its more Mixolydian. Am I right?
It's all over the place. There's some Mixo, some Aeolian, some chromatic stuff...
I realize my earlier post didn't really help, so here are some songs

Melissa - Allman Brothers
Ramblin Man - Allman Brothers
Blue Sky - Allman Brothers
Knockin on Heaven's Door - Guns N Roses
China Grove - The Doobie Brothers
Take It Easy - The Eagles
Any Way You Want It - Journey
Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd skynyrd
You'll hear that major quality, which is kind of rare in rock, because everybody just uses relative pentatonic minor. :\
"The end result - the music - is all that counts"
Quote by felixdcat
You'll hear that major quality, which is kind of rare in rock, because everybody just uses relative pentatonic minor. :\
That's not completely true. Of course, plenty of hard rock is in a minor key and the bluesy stuff uses the parallel pentatonic minor (GASP!), but plenty of rock, especially the 50s and early 60s stuff, is pure major.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
That's not completely true. Of course, plenty of hard rock is in a minor key and the bluesy stuff uses the parallel pentatonic minor (GASP!), but plenty of rock, especially the 50s and early 60s stuff, is pure major.

I know. I appreciate it. I kinda don't like it when everyone just takes pentatonic always...
"The end result - the music - is all that counts"