I've got a band project going and we're going to try and create some sort of Coheed and Cambria/ Blind Guardian mash up, and (assuming progressive would be the right title for that) what scales should I use for assembly of the leads?
any scales can be used in a progressive manner, it just depends on how u apply it, for example, a simple A Major Scale can be played in a hammer-on/tapping fashion to achieve ur goal. But then u can use any scale in conjunction, MAKE SURE U STICK TO THE SAME KEY tho, cuz that keeps ur song balanced. Any down/up tone in a scale, such as to a mixolydian, then u would have to shift everything along with it. Progressive is more like playing around a scale in a fast manner at a given beat, so just finding an algorithm of scalar ascend or descend can give u the progressive effect, the important thing is to remember to stick to a key, even when improvising/shredding.
Quote by Hell_Metalist
any scales can be used in a progressive manner, it just depends on how u apply it, for example, a simple A Major Scale can be played in a hammer-on/tapping fashion to achieve ur goal. But then u can use any scale in conjunction, MAKE SURE U STICK TO THE SAME KEY tho, cuz that keeps ur song balanced. Any down/up tone in a scale, such as to a mixolydian, then u would have to shift everything along with it. Progressive is more like playing around a scale in a fast manner at a given beat, so just finding an algorithm of scalar ascend or descend can give u the progressive effect, the important thing is to remember to stick to a key, even when improvising/shredding.

I wouldn't say that staying in one key for the whole song is very progressive. The point of prog is to experiment with music.

TS, I havent really listened to those bands. But if you want to be progressive, you could use any scale you want. Seriously.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
um, find a scale you like (most any would probobly do, i personally love the harmonic minor scale) and i would employ lots of stuff like half cadences (for tension) and moreover just dance along the tonality of the scale, without explicitly stating, maybe ending on a full cadence maybe on a half. sorry if that was too vague