I was noodling around on my spider, even though i cannot wait to get rid of it and get a supersonic combo for christmas

i had it on the cliffs of dover setting and was messing with the knobs to try and make it not have such a boost to the bass

i found an okay setting(now okay for a spider is still )

i connected my ds1 and super overdrive and put a light boost with the od and halfs on the ds1

it sounded almost yngwie-ish with more delay

i was surprised, it didnt sound like COMPLETE ****, but it was better than my friends valvetronix

then it went "poof" "arghhh crackjk" randomly and had uncontrollable feedback

Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Quote by Teh GIR
I was noodling around on my spider, even though i cannot wait to get rid of it and get a supersonic combo for christmas

i had it on the cliffs of dover setting and was messing with the knobs to try and make it not have such a boost to the bass

i found an okay setting(now okay for a spider is still )

i connected my ds1 and super overdrive and put a light boost with the od and halfs on the ds1

it sounded almost yngwie-ish with more delay

i was surprised, it didnt sound like COMPLETE ****, but it was better than my friends valvetronix

then it went "poof" "arghhh crackjk" randomly and had uncontrollable feedback

Well I know have both amps, so I win both ways.
ESP F-250
Tubescreamer TS7
Boss DS-1
Boss Metal Zone
Jackson JS30KV
Vox AD50VT-212
POD 2.0
Spiders really aren't as bad as the people on UG make them seem.

If you're into metal, I would much rather have a spider than the always mentioned valvetronix. Those things completely suck at metal, while the spider does a decent job.

The Roland cube is better in every way except price though.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer

If you're into metal, I would much rather have a spider than the always mentioned valvetronix. Those things completely suck at metal, while the spider does a decent job.

If people weren't so bent on trash talking the MG and the Spider in every possible thread where its relevent, probably a lot more board productivity would be going on...
"Don't panic, everything is falling neatly out of order"
- Douglas Adams
The reason why I hardly come back to this forum at all. They hate MGs, burn Spiders, and all swear by the brand which is absolutely unknown outside the four walls of this forum - Agile.
Don't ever listen to gear advice here.
Quote by Hemani Co
The reason why I hardly come back to this forum at all. They hate MGs, burn Spiders, and all swear by the brand which is absolutely unknown outside the four walls of this forum - Agile.

That's a little harsh...

I agree that the MG/Spider-bashing gets a little ridiculous at times, but they are not good amps. They are ok for practice amps, but overpriced, and more often than not there are better alternatives. I understand the appeal of modeling amps, I used to own one myself, but if someone asks "is the Line6 Spider an awesome amp?" it would be immoral of me to answer yes.

When it comes to the Agile thing, there are just as many Schecter/Jackson/Ibanez/Fender/Gibson/Epiphone fanboys.
Quote by MESAexplorer

My school has the Vox AD amps and they do metal really well.
Quote by Hemani Co

You forgot the legions of drooling "OMG IBANEZ" fanboys.
Basses
Ibanez Gio GSR100 w/ SDs

Amps
Acoustic B200
In ever "which guitar thread,someone will blurt out "ibanez xxx" or somethign like that,lol
Hehe, that's true. I absolutely despise Ibanez. I've only played one line 6, which was the spider head with a marshall cab. Average amp, not for gigs, that's for sure.

Vox gives me the sound I need, as does Randall, and as does a Marshall JCM. However, Vox is the most versatile out of Randall or Vox, and I can't afford a JCM.

You've got to make your own choices, not what someone else opines about.
Gear

Guitars -
ESP V-500 w/EMG 81/85
Jackson Mark Morton Signature Primer

Amps -
Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 60 Head
Marshall MS-2 Mini-Amp

Pedals -
Line 6 PodXT Live
Blackstart HT-Dual Valve Distortion
Quote by FenderStRaT RS
In ever "which guitar thread,someone will blurt out "ibanez xxx" or somethign like that,lol

Not to sound like an Ibanez fan boy but, you ever wondered why people suggest Ibanez?
They make quality guitars, they make hollow bodied guitars, metal type guitars, les paul-ish guitars, strat like guitars, they do have their fair share of **** thought.
But yeah don't say that it's a zebra when it's a horse it's a lot simpler to assume Ibanez are good than to assume that everyone obsessed over them.
I like the feel of Ibanez guitars, for sure. If they could make a V/Rhoads with a Floyd, I'd buy it, no doubt.
Gear

Guitars -
ESP V-500 w/EMG 81/85

Amps -
Marshall MS-2 Mini-Amp

Pedals -
Line 6 PodXT Live
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Not to sound like an Ibanez fan boy but, you ever wondered why people suggest Ibanez?
They make quality guitars, they make hollow bodied guitars, metal type guitars, les paul-ish guitars, strat like guitars, they do have their fair share of **** thought.
But yeah don't say that it's a zebra when it's a horse it's a lot simpler to assume Ibanez are good than to assume that everyone obsessed over them.

Well,most ibanez fanboys have onli one brand to recommend..........Ibanez,i myself like the RGs but sometimes these fan boys make ibanez so overated,nothing but ibanez,a narrow scope of guitar,like common,the Jackson,Schecter,Dean,PRS,Godin,Fender,etc. are all trash? Their great guitars too,and every guitar has thier own unique touch

Sorry bout bashing ibanez though,where i am,all i hear is metal fanboys wanting ibanez and schecter........
Last edited by FenderStRaT RS at Nov 24, 2007,
I have a Spider II Half Stack....I really don't like. It's fine at low volumes. I can get the metal sounds I want at a low volume level, but it doesn't stay consistent at higher volumes. I am not a fan of the whole modeling thing. If Line 6 focused on a SINGLE ....heck... or a quadruple let's say Fender Super Reverb, Marshall DSL, Mesa Boogie Rectifier, and Vox Palomino... the amp would undoubtedly sound better! I think they spent too little time on too many different amps. The whole modeling thing wasn't all it was cut out to be, for me at least.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Classic Ebony with gold hardware
Fender American Stratocaster 3 color sunburst maple fretboard tortoise shell pickguard
Martin 000-M Auditorium
Mesa Boogie F-50
Maxon OD-9
Dunlop 535Q Wah pedal
I have a Spider II 150 watt head (2x75) and I love it. I use it all the time and I get great sound out of it. I can't figure out why people dump on them the way they do. My experiance with the amp has been all good. I found out you need to take the time to read the manual and play with the settings to get the sound you want. It can be done! I have lent it out to friends that gig, several of my friends have come here and player thru it and they all seem to like it and a lot of them can't figure out why they get such a bad rap. Of course some never even tried it because of the rumors.

I also have a Marshall MG 10 for a practice amp and it pretty good. The only amp I am not happy with is my Fender Rumble 15 watt practice amp for my bass. IMHO it's a peice of crap. No decent sound can be found no matter what I do.

My favorite amp in my old Laffeyett 2x12 combo tube amp it has that great vintage sound but IMHO it's under powered 18 watts. It could be that it needs a tune up and might sound better with new tubes etc.

John
Quote by johnro6659
I have a Spider II 150 watt head (2x75) and I love it. I use it all the time and I get great sound out of it. I can't figure out why people dump on them the way they do. My experiance with the amp has been all good. I found out you need to take the time to read the manual and play with the settings to get the sound you want. It can be done! I have lent it out to friends that gig, several of my friends have come here and player thru it and they all seem to like it and a lot of them can't figure out why they get such a bad rap. Of course some never even tried it because of the rumors.

I also have a Marshall MG 10 for a practice amp and it pretty good. The only amp I am not happy with is my Fender Rumble 15 watt practice amp for my bass. IMHO it's a peice of crap. No decent sound can be found no matter what I do.

My favorite amp in my old Laffeyett 2x12 combo tube amp it has that great vintage sound but IMHO it's under powered 18 watts. It could be that it needs a tune up and might sound better with new tubes etc.

John

+1
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
Quote by MESAexplorer

this is true about spiders really not being that bad for what they are - i mean, they are just bedroom practice amps. the valvetronix though is in a different league to the spider, because even though the chrome series ad50/100vt are oversized cheap practice amps, they are actually a lot better as gigging amps. at gigging volumes, the valvetronix just beats the spider hands down, metal or not. the metal settings aren't too bad if you know how to set them up to get the best results.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
my spider III does alternative quite nicely.. I don't really know why everybody hates them so much. It makes my crappy $150 ibanez sound like a guitar twice it's price.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
^Yup. As long as you don't dime the gain and scoop the mids obcessivly, there's solid, but not stellar, metal setting to be found on the Valvetronix.
The reason there are legions of Ibanez fanboys is because older MIJ Ibanez guitars are the best made guitars you can buy for 300 bucks. A 300 dollar RG770 is going to be a much better crafted (and IMO they just play easier and sound better) than any other guitar in that price range, or any other guitar within 1000 dollars of that price range. My family owns Fender Custom Shop Strats, many many many Gibsons, Carvins, and the like, all USA made and the one thing we can all agree on is that the RG550 is the best playing guitar of any we own and it was purchased for a small fraction of the cost of any of the others. Before you bash Ibanez, play an old one (or an RG550 Reissue, same thing but with better neck reinforcement and a better neck joint), and then try to come back and complain about how "OMG IBANEZ FAN BOYS DON'T KNOW ANYTHING"
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

Quote by PerpetualBurn
The reason there are legions of Ibanez fanboys is because older MIJ Ibanez guitars are the best made guitars you can buy for 300 bucks. A 300 dollar RG770 is going to be a much better crafted (and IMO they just play easier and sound better) than any other guitar in that price range, or any other guitar within 1000 dollars of that price range. My family owns Fender Custom Shop Strats, many many many Gibsons, Carvins, and the like, all USA made and the one thing we can all agree on is that the RG550 is the best playing guitar of any we own and it was purchased for a small fraction of the cost of any of the others. Before you bash Ibanez, play an old one (or an RG550 Reissue, same thing but with better neck reinforcement and a better neck joint), and then try to come back and complain about how "OMG IBANEZ FAN BOYS DON'T KNOW ANYTHING"

lol, fanboy. (sorry, had to be said )
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
I find that the mids on my spider arent that good, and when cranked they sound pritty bad. So i have them lower with higher trebal.

Ive used my spider live and its fine, could be better but its fine.
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
*Quotes everyone of those posts in the history of UG*

lol ignoramus.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

Quote by subliminaldelta

lolz, ibanez dont suck though, but yea, just as bad as the die hard strat and lp fans, all guitars have their merits....except for walmart first acts........

but yea i have to say, spider's dont suck. i mean they arent the best tonally, but for the price, and wat they do, they rly rock IMO. ive got some really awesome tones out of mine. you just have to play with the EQ because most of the settings they have arent that particularly wonderful
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Last edited by bored_maniac33 at Nov 24, 2007,
...very few people have i met that actually like the sound of the spiders, most just haven't tried enough other amps to get a grasp of what is good/bad...
Quote by subliminaldelta

i agree.

lYke Omg geT ThE IB@Ne=z RG3%50yhFGREHFHGX!!!11111111111
My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Custom ESP Explorer (in the making!)
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop Crybaby, Deltalab Md-1, rd 1, Morley optical Volume
Quote by stratele
I find that the mids on my spider arent that good, and when cranked they sound pritty bad. So i have them lower with higher trebal.

Ive used my spider live and its fine, could be better but its fine.

You REALLY need to learn how to spell
and let me guess, you listen to zakk wylde? lower the mids crank the treble huh?
And its not squire is squier
/rant

There are a lot of people who hate them for no reason though. I really hate the tone a MG gives though.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by MESAexplorer
If you're into metal, I would much rather have a spider than the always mentioned valvetronix. Those things completely suck at metal.

You've obviously not tried the Valvetronix XL, they pizz all over Spiders...
Quote by PerpetualBurn

++++1

As someone mentioned, everyguitar has its unique touch. Some people tend to use any guitar for just about any genre, some for a specific one, but PEOPLE DON'T YOU EVER THINK WHY GUITAR COMPANIES GIVE GUITARS CERTAIN QUALITIES, PROPERTIES AND SHAPES? they sure want us to use them for what genre they're targeted to,,,, but its definately our own god damn decision what to use it for. I like Ibanez, Fender, Gibson, and even BC Rich cuz then again buying and using guitars it's, in addition, a matter of taste. So for those who dont like them don't flame then... Ive heard great metal and other ***it made with Ibanez.....
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1 (moDE)

Ibanez Electro-Acustic

Zoom G2.1u

Roland Cube 60
Vox AD50VT 2x12

And A Great Passion!

Best Spanish Rock Band IS and WILL always be "Heroes Del Silencio"!!!!!
Quote by fergus74
You've obviously not tried the Valvetronix XL, they pizz all over Spiders...

I find those sound worse than the standard Valvetronix. They're fizzly, and quite artificial sounding. I still prefer the spider.

Trust me, I know what tones I like.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I sold my Vox Ad30 because the other guitarist in my band needed an amp because his overdrive channel was screwed up and I used the money towards my Legacy combo

I thought it was O.K, I like the onboard effects and stuff, but I'd constantly get this volume swell when playing through it, and my ear is able to detect the differences (which were hard to detect before getting one at first) between hybrids and tube amps.

It also didn't really handle pedals like my Metal Muff well

Edit: The XL series. Opps xD. Oh well, theres my opinion on the standard series...
- Douglas Adams
Quote by buzzcut
i agree.

lYke Omg geT ThE IB@Ne=z RG3%50yhFGREHFHGX!!!11111111111

Actually, I don't hate Ibanez, I just hate RGs. It's just sad when I go into almost every topic around here and all I see is "LOL GET A RG153836T383Y6XX".
Basses
Ibanez Gio GSR100 w/ SDs

Amps
Acoustic B200
Like I've said before, the models in the upper range of the Spider III line(the 75W combo and above) actually have some decent sounds if you know how to use them. They have a really nice twang sound that the low end spider IIIs dont have.

I still wouldn't record with a spider because IMO they add a bit too much reverb naturally, but you can get some nice sounds from them
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by MESAexplorer
I find those sound worse than the standard Valvetronix. They're fizzly, and quite artificial sounding. I still prefer the spider.

Trust me, I know what tones I like.

That mirrors my experience (Spider 3 paired with Metal Master pedal > Vox XL for metal). Though I would like to try a Roland 30 watt Cube.
I've found the VOX AD-100 suits Black Labellish metal perfectly when configured the right way.

However I'm still torn between a VOX AD-100 Half Stack and a Randall RH-150 with a standard 4X12 Randall Cab.
Gear

Guitars -
ESP V-500 w/EMG 81/85

Amps -
Marshall MS-2 Mini-Amp

Pedals -
Line 6 PodXT Live
Last edited by BadgerX at Nov 26, 2007,
Quote by Blompcube
this is true about spiders really not being that bad for what they are - i mean, they are just bedroom practice amps. the valvetronix though is in a different league to the spider, because even though the chrome series ad50/100vt are oversized cheap practice amps, they are actually a lot better as gigging amps. at gigging volumes, the valvetronix just beats the spider hands down, metal or not. the metal settings aren't too bad if you know how to set them up to get the best results.

+1

Spiders are not great amps, and I personally would not use themfor a gig, ever, but for practice amps, they do all right. The Vox, however really is all round a very good amp. I gig with mine, and it gets the job done, and sounds good while doing it. I have the 50 watt version, and if I turn it up all the way, I can overpower the PA system, and it woun't sound all shrill.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Personally...(god i am gonna get flamed for this) I love Higher end MG's (the half stack) and Spiders, I have gigged with them and while I definitely prefer a nice ampeg or high end Marshall over them I have managed to get some really nice tones out of them, and I love Ibanezs.
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
Quote by PunkRocker33133
Personally...(god i am gonna get flamed for this) I love Higher end MG's (the half stack) and Spiders, I have gigged with them and while I definitely prefer a nice ampeg or high end Marshall over them I have managed to get some really nice tones out of them, and I love Ibanezs.

OMG what is wrong...!

Haha, I'm kidding. Just decide for yourself. Spend a day listening to amps in the same price range and compare them back to the Spider and MG.
- Douglas Adams
IMO my Spider 3 75w half stack sounds brilliant ...
I'M PROBABLY GONNA GET FLAME GRILLED IN THE DEPTHS OF HELL FOR THIS...
but here i go on my rant ...
for some reason i think some of the ppl who say spiders are **** have probably played one for 10 mins and just decided to go with all the others that think the only amp worth havin is tube/valve ...
i dont see why they have to flame anyone for MAKING A SUGGESTION to buy a Spider ...

/Rant
Washburn MG-42
Shine Telecaster copy
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Line 6 Spider III 75

Wanna buy:
Ibanez IC400
Last edited by Luke12 at Nov 26, 2007,
Quote by Luke12
IMO my Spider 3 75w half stack sounds brilliant ...
I'M PROBABLY GONNA GET FLAMED BIG TIME FOR THIS ...
but here i go on my rant ...
for some reason i think some of the ppl who say spiders are **** have probably played one for 10 mins and just decided to go with all the others that think the only amp worth havin is tube/valve ...

Oh, is that so?

turn volume on at least 5 with distortion. Tell me it doesn't squeal.

Also, they are pretty loud. My 15 watt was heard over drums at my jam session.

After I get my vox opened, they're gona need to play louder
ESP F-250
Tubescreamer TS7
Boss DS-1
Boss Metal Zone
Jackson JS30KV
Vox AD50VT-212
POD 2.0