Ok I am planning on doing alot of mods to my wah like switching the resistor to a 2.2k and I wanted to know some things
1.I only have desoldering braid do I have to have a pump to do this or can I just use the braid to remove the solder from the board.
2.Removing soldering the new resistor in should the iron be on the board on the leads at the same time.
3.I have a 15 watt iron is that not hot enough to heat the lead up before damging the resitor itself.
4.Do I need to use heat sinks when soldering the resistors and if I do How would I got about doing this.
Sorry for the newbish questions
Last edited by ClassicRock1169 at Nov 24, 2007,
Quote by ClassicRock1169
Ok I am planning on doing alot of mods to my wah like switching the resistor to a 2.2k and I wanted to know some things
1.I only have desoldering braid do I have to have a pump to do this or can I just use the braid to remove the solder from the board.
2.Removing soldering the new resistor in should the iron be on the board on the leads at the same time.
3.I have a 15 watt iron is that not hot enough to heat the lead up before damging the resitor itself.
4.Do I need to use heat sinks when soldering the resistors and if I do How would I got about doing this.
Sorry for the newbish questions

Don't EVER bump your thread like that again. After a day or two, if it falls back a page or two, fine. But an hour and a half after your OP? No way. Next time, you'll be reported.

1 - Braid works fine for me. Experiment on some junk you find in a trash bin before working on anything of value.

2 - I prefer to put the braid against the joint, folded at a right angle, touching both the foil and the lead. Then press the iron against the braid. That makes the braid the hottest point, and the solder will flow there more easily.

3 - 15w is wimpy for soldering. For de-soldering - no way. Don't even try. It will take so long to get enough heat into the joint that you will probably delaminate the foil from the board. You'll end up with the foil flopping around at the end where the lead from the component goes through. Or it will tear away. A real mess.

4 - Heatsinking during soldering/desoldering of resistors is unnecessary. Resistors can withstand enormous heat. Heatsinking is only necessary for electrolytic capacitors and semiconductors. (transistors, diodes, ICs, etc.) Hemostats work well for that.

Quote by ClassicRock1169
Last edited by ClassicRock1169 : Today at 03:12 AM. Reason: Cause I wanted to thats why
Put and appropriate reason if you want to, or just leave it blank.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Nov 24, 2007,
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Don't EVER bump your thread like that again. After a day or two, if it falls back a page or two, fine. But an hour and a half after your OP? No way. Next time, you'll be reported.

1 - Braid works fine for me. Experiment on some junk you find in a trash bin before working on anything of value.

2 - I prefer to put the braid against the joint, folded at a right angle, touching both the foil and the lead. Then press the iron against the braid. That makes the braid the hottest point, and the solder will flow there more easily.

3 - 15w is wimpy for soldering. For de-soldering - no way. Don't even try. It will take so long to get enough heat into the joint that you will probably delaminate the foil from the board. You'll end up with the foil flopping around at the end where the lead from the component goes through. Or it will tear away. A real mess.

4 - Heatsinking during soldering/desoldering of resistors is unnecessary. Resistors can withstand enormous heat. Heatsinking is only necessary for electrolytic capacitors and semiconductors. (transistors, diodes, ICs, etc.) Hemostats work well for that.

Put and appropriate reason if you want to, or just leave it blank.

So what kind of iron do you recomend and what do you mean by the foil the pcb
I like using a 30 watt soldering pencil.

The foil is what the pc board "pads and traces" are made of. It's what the lead gets soldered to. The foil is basically glued onto the board, and if you heat it too much, it can come loose.