alright i know a fair amount about guitar, but not specifics when it comes to exactly what makes one better than another. im asking because i plan to get a new guitar in the near future and want to know what sets apart, lets say, an epi g400 sg from a gibson standard sg. thanks in advance for the advice
I can say that the g400's electronics suck...my friend has one that I played and I ****ing hate the way it sounds, muddy and weak. I've never played a gibson sg, not plugged in at least. I hear that the only difference between those guitars are the electronics, some may suggest buying a g400 and upgrading the electronics, I really can't say either way.
I think the finish feels completely different, and I can't stand the sticky gloss of the epiphones, and their thicker uncomfortable necks. There is a CLEAR difference if you sit down and play the two next to each other.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
I think the finish feels completely different, and I can't stand the sticky gloss of the epiphones, and their thicker uncomfortable necks. There is a CLEAR difference if you sit down and play the two next to each other.

I remember thinking that the gibson played like a dream, damn I really wish I could have plugged her in. I also remember thinking nothing special about the g400 in turms of playability. I guess I can say that...
Electronics, wood grade, build quality, qc, etc. Alot of things go into making guitars. Especially when it comes to differentiating between Gibson and Epi's. Gibson's use less pieces and higher grades of wood depending on the build, along with better electronics. The overall build quality "should" be better but Gibson is slipping up these days. Your bound to find a great playing one its not like everything is crap. Just more lemons then normal. I know people who would trade their Epi G-400 for the world and other who love their Gibson's to bits. Its really opinion based on what you specifically want.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
I had one for awhile, and it looked sweet in alpine white, but the problems lie not in looks with the cheap guitars of today.

problems with it:

As others have said, the electronics arent good -- but they work well enough IMO.

It'll need new pickups, the stock ones are muddy/microphonic, but the ones in the G400 are MUCH better than in the cheaper epis -- they are very low output.

The body doesnt have enough mass to it IMO, at least not as much as the gibson does.

I found that mine sounded hollow if I knocked on the body actually -- I got it at guitar center (right before they dropped the damn price too). I seriously think they ripped me off and sold me a hollow guitar, but thats only speculation -- the pickups were very microphonic and I couldve been hearing that.

Neck heavy -- but all sgs are to some extent, this one is pretty bad about it though

A major problem I find with cheap/entry level guitars is the fretwork (I'm going to learn to do my own fretwork soon). The frets are obviously fine, and in the right place, but there are high frets on most of the lower-priced guitars (my epi had like 2), and this prevents you from setting low action without completely disabling the use of those frets... High frets just destroy otherwise good guitars for me.

But I doubt you'll find a guitar with spot-on fretwork at that price range anyway, unless you find something nice used (I got my godin for $250 used). But seriously, if you upgrade electronics and pups, and fix whatever high frets you may have, you'd still have an absolutely great guitar.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q