Well Christmas is around the corner and im going to be getting around $500 to start of my savings. Im looking into a new amp for mainly thrash but sometimes a little heavier.

I've been looking into a Marshal JCM2000 DSL but I've heard some negative things about it. I tried it out in the store and i liked what i heard but i didn't have many other amps to try from at the time.

My ultimate budget is around the price for the DSL. It retails for $1700 around here but il be getting it for $1400 from the store if i buy it there (Australian price people!)

Other amps im looking into are the Genz Benz El Diablo 60-c and the Randal RG50TC. I cant try them out though so i would like some opinions on other amps i could try and get a hold on.

Short Answer: I'm looking for a new amp for Thrash metal such as Megadeth and Anthrax around the $1000 - $2000 dollar mark (Australian Prices). Any recommendations?
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Last edited by .:Darkness:. at Nov 24, 2007,
Wattage doesnt matter at all and genz benz is a good amp i jstu havnt had the chance to test it personally.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
I'd recommend a used JCM800 with an OD. Thats pretty much THE thrash set up
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
I cant go used because im.. not welcome on ebay.. and i will never find a used jcm800 in a pawn shop.

Any other ideas?
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
mesa ? it depends on what kinda thrash cause there are many sounds are we talking early sound like megadeths mechanix's or later stuff
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

Early megadeth / anthrax up to about Metallica. Rarely any gainier than that. Plus i can not get a mesa for under 2000 anywhere unless its a f-30 used.

As for a new eBay acount, i need a new credit card to use as well, which i dont have.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
hmm if you go for the DSL get the combo apparently it sounds better but im not sure there are used amps in some guitar centers maybe peavy do you live near cherrybrook?
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

I have no idea where that is so im assuming no. As for Peavey the only one i would buy would probably be a classic30 w/ OD pedal. The others just don't seem to be right, i played some of the trans-tubes and wasn't impressed. The Windsor is just way to much power for my needs as well.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Depends if you want an old school or new school sound. Dont get the dsl ive got it and its crap. El Diablo is quite fuzzy and wooly but has Bawlz.

jcm900 or similar-80s classic thrash sound
5150-90's Death Metal/Machinehead sound
Mesa90s/00s Bands
Randall-Pantera used in the 90s

Crate, Randall are good bets. Again i have the 5150 and wasnt happy with it. I got a carvin v3 which is the best value amp around.
no to mesa - too pricey 'round here
no to randall - too heavy
no to 5150 / 6505 - to powerful for my needs (Attenuator is a possibility though)

believe me i would LOVE a JCM800 or JCM900 but they cost too much. When he time comes though i might be able to scrap some extra cash together and get one, if that happens i know what il get but if it doesn't i need some suggestions for te price range im in.

the El Diablo sounds good but i cant find one to try. RG50TC, same thing except it may be too much for my needs. Other way i could turn is get a Flextone. I know i could get the sound i want from it but i don't know about it (Solid state n' all).

Edit: How about ENGL? i can go for an Engl Thunder 50 combo, its only just out of my range by $50. or i can muster up some money for an Engl Screamer 50 combo if its a lot better.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Last edited by .:Darkness:. at Nov 25, 2007,
I really didnt like the EL Diablo.. so fuzzy. Never tried the Randall but i think its fairly low end.. DSL's and TSL's are actually alright imo. The 6550/5150 come in a 60 watt combo, if you like the sound they're a good amp. The problem i had with the engls were brightness, i prefer a punchy lower end sound. Though if its your thing they have some great tones.

I've seen the Kustom 36 2x12 combo go for around $2000 in aus somewhere, ill see if i can track it down for you. I really liked it for thrash metal.

You can get the Ibanez Thermion head for about $1500 which ive heard good things about, never played it though.

You could also look at the Laney GH or TT series, i've never played a GH but the TT i heard sounded pretty tight. The TT might be a stretch of your budget though.. i think they retail a 50 watt combo for like $2200.
Bump? lol, posted at the same time.

I'll have a look at some Laney's now and edit this post to see if i can find any with a decent price.

Edit: the TT is around $2700 and i couldn't find the other one.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Last edited by .:Darkness:. at Nov 25, 2007,
Everything you've described just screams JCM800.

Is there no way you could get on Ebay again? Do you have any local classifieds? Any pawn shops that might have one?
the only pawnshop nearby wants $500 dollars for a spider 2 15 watt... Everything there costs either just under retail price or more than retail.

I don't know if i can get on eBay again. i have outstanding fines on it (I tried to sell something that didn't get sold and i didn't pay the 4 dollar fee )

So hows the Engl Screamer 50? so far im liking what i hear but I'll be hard pressed finding one to try out.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
I personally havnt tried it, but I hear its a great amp, very versatile. It would prob do thrash very well
It is a versatile amp. And has very good tones, but beware.. it is bright.. You wont be able to get the THICK mid scooped metallica tone.. though not many amps will. If you dont mind it bright then i'd say get it.
Well my main influence is Megadeth and if that isn't bright i don't know what is :P. So far its sounding awesome. I still need to try it out for myself but now i know that its a deffinate possibility.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Definently try it out then. I dont know where Junee is but theres a few stores in Sydney that i know stock engls.. The two biggest would be music city.. its like 500 parramatta road and then theres billy hyde music out at parramatta, those are the two places i've played engls.
Shame though, i was in Sydney two weeks ago but i was in the CBD (I went to Gigantour ). the two guitar shops are a half hour drive away and they don't stock Engl's either.

Is there much of a difference in the Thunder 50 combo and the Screamer 50 combo?
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
I would go with a Peavey Valve King and BBE 482i. Will cost you around $1500 Total unless its on sale then might cost you about $1200. its the same setup I have right now and Iv'e been playing alot of BDM and Unearth and it sounds ****ing amazing with the BBE.
Honestly i cant remember a huge difference. I think the screamer had more knobs so you had more control.. i never ab'd them so i couldnt say if one sounded a whole lot better.
the screamer is pushing my budget so I'm wondering:

Would a Genz Benz ElDiablo60-c do thrash well? thats one of the other amps im looking at besides the JCM2000 DSL combo.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13