wood has a good sonic character, which is why it's used with guitars, right ?
so why do almost ALL electric guitars have a plastic pickguard then instead of a wooden pickguard ?
it's just something i was wondering for quite a bit of time, and i couldn't find an explantion. so UG, explain me
Last edited by The red Strat. at Nov 24, 2007,
so you dont scratch up the wood?
Quote by seokorn
your awesome stoner

Quote by Frobot!
Tapeman is my hero.
Yeah, and plastic is cheap.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Quote by Stoner stone

+1 the pickguard doesnt affect your tone that much. well i assume it doesnt, cause if it did, eric johnson would have taken his off or something

...why dont they make a guitar out of metal?? doesnt it resonate quite well?...im sure tis been done before but yea
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by Stoner stone

erm, and scratching plastic is impossible ?

with a finish on a wooden pickguard, you'll have to try pretty hard to scratch it
Last edited by The red Strat. at Nov 24, 2007,
The bridge doesn't go into the plastic.

This is a pretty good question though. I wonder if a strat with the pickups on the body instead of on a pickguard on the body would sound a lot different.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by bored_maniac33
+1 the pickguard doesnt affect your tone that much. well i assume it doesnt, cause if it did, eric johnson would have taken his off or something

...why dont they make a guitar out of metal?? doesnt it resonate quite well?...im sure tis been done before but yea

because holding a metal guitar would be heavy as hell and very uncomfortable
PSN id: SeniorSausage
Quote by Horlicks
^ obviously, carbon fibre would be more badass though

Agreed, but it's way more expensive.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
alot of guitars dont. mine doesnt.
Gear
ESP Vintage Plus
LTD M-II
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Line 6 Flextone IIIXL
Quote by bored_maniac33
Freaking expensive, its a lot tougher then wood, so machines and tooling would be more expensive and harder, plus you can grow more trees to make more guitars, you can't grow metal as and when you want it.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
alot of guitars dont even have pickguards, its not going to effect the tone even a minscule mount. if you want to see a metal guitar, check out the splat-o-caster. metal guitars have such a ****ty, piercing, twang to them.
Quote by MESAexplorer
The bridge doesn't go into the plastic.

This is a pretty good question though. I wonder if a strat with the pickups on the body instead of on a pickguard on the body would sound a lot different.

what do you mean by that ? i don't get what you're saying...

and i'm guessing that would. but i wouldn't have a clue about how to do that so it looks decent
Quote by bored_maniac33

They did make guitars out of granite-stone
And basses...
With awsome substain!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=45hYDhyJ5_0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=My_chJj2ph4

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MCIYS1WDI_Y
It's an interesting idea - maybe there would be a deeper resonance conducted to the pickup if it wasn't mounted on a thin sheet of plastic ...
Quote by The red Strat.
what do you mean by that ? i don't get what you're saying...

and i'm guessing that would. but i wouldn't have a clue about how to do that so it looks decent

The bridge of the guitar goes straight to the wood, not into the pickguard.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
The bridge of the guitar goes straight to the wood, not into the pickguard.

ok... and what was your point then lol ? i know that. i think everyone does haha.
i think i'm seriously missing the point here
Quote by The red Strat.
ok... and what was your point then lol ? i know that. i think everyone does haha.
i think i'm seriously missing the point here

The pickguard shouldn't affect the sustain or tone that much. I don't think the plastic part has any affect whatsoever, it's just the fact that the strats are hollowed out behind the pickguard.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
and what about the fact they're hollowed out behind the pickguard ?

i have a feeling i'm having a lazy-brain day lol.
Quote by ripewithdecay
because holding a metal guitar would be heavy as hell and very uncomfortable

who said it ahd to be solid?? besides, there are some pretty light alloys out there
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by bored_maniac33

By the way... as an addition to my stone-guitars...
This one is defo made out of METAL: