I know these are probably newbie questions, but I used the search function and I couldn't find the answers I was looking for. So:
1. What are Push-Pull Pots and are they difficult to install?
2. What is a F-Space on a pickup and how does that affect the qualities (tone, output, etc.) of the pickup?
Quote by fallout5959
I know these are probably newbie questions, but I used the search function and I couldn't find the answers I was looking for. So:
2. What is a F-Space on a pickup and how does that affect the qualities (tone, output, etc.) of the pickup?

1.A push pull pot is what it is. It is a pot that You can Pull Up and down used for coil tapping and other things.
2.I think you mean F Holes. Those are the guitars that have the Big holes in the shapes of F's. Just go the guitar and ask to look at a hollowbody guitar with f holes.
Ok, let me give you correct answers.

1) A push-pull pot is essentially a potentiometer with an on-on switch built into it. As stated, it can be used for coil splitting and other functions without installing a mini-switch. They're not any more difficult to install than a regular pot, as long as you have enough space in the cavity to compensate for the added length of the body.

2) F-spacing means that the pole pieces on a humbucker are spaced slightly wider so that the pole pieces sit directly under the strings at the bridge, since a Fender or Floyd Rose trem has wider string spacing than a fixed bridge. The effect is minimal in my opinion. I have never used F-spaced pickups or felt the need to. Aesthetically, I suppose they look better. In theory, they cause less tonal drop-off on the low E and high E strings, but the magnetic field from a humbucker is so wide and powerful that in practice there's not much (if any) difference.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Nov 24, 2007,
No, it's an F-Space on a pickup. In the decriptions for some of the bridge pickups that Dimarzio makes, it says its available with or without a F-Space. Thanks for the info on the push-pull pot though.
Quote by fallout5959
1 - Push pull pots look like a mini pot with a DPDTswitch on the back of it. They aren't any harder to install than a regular pot. Some of the wiring to the switch might get complicated. It all depends on what you are wiring the switch to accomplish.

2 - F-spacing refers to having the pole pieces of the bridge pickup slightly farther apart.

Fender bridges are a little wider than Gibson and others. Having the pole-pieces directly under the strings gives a slight improvement in having the outer E and e strings having the same volume as the others. I wouldn't lose any sleep over having a normally spaced pickup in a Fender, but if you can have the spacing correct, why not?

EDIT:
Quote by Dirk Gently
Ok, let me give you correct answers.
You type way faster than I do.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Nov 24, 2007,