Page 1 of 6
I could go on for ever about why metal has been so good lately, but i'll keep it short.

First of all, bands like Lamb of God...need I say more?

Machine Head's "The Blackening" is the greatest metal album ever imo.

Also Nile has put out some killer albums, their latest is ****ing awesome.

What else has made this decade so ****ing metal? I'll let you guys contribute.
Last edited by shibbyshaun at Nov 25, 2007,
Quote by shibbyshaun

Please dear god no.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Prepare to be flamed for mentioning LoG...

Also "this decade" is a strange period of time to choose, considering it's 2007 and not 2010. So from 1997-2007?

Anyways...

I'd rather mention bands such as Into Eternity, Biomechanical, To-Mera, Behemoth, Empyrean, etc
Quote by shibbyshaun

You'll be needing this.

EDIT: Your gunna have to steal it from that guy. Good luck!
NO ONE EVER READS MY POSTS.
Quote by duncang
Please dear god no.

lol, idiot.

why all the lamb of god hate? i'd like to hear some reasons.
Ehhhh. In Flames is good. Other that that, ehhhhh.
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
whats wrong with Lamb of God?

that machinehead album is pretty overrated imo

check out parkway drives new album. listening to it now. badass
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
Quote by shibbyshaun
lol, idiot.

Do go on.

However, the my favourite metal album was actually released in 2006, so I guess there's some truth to it.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Lamb of God is a great band.
deal with it.
Quote by kyrreca
You could get $1000 custom made pickups hand wired with Eric Johnsons pubic hair, and they'd still sound pretty bad through a ****ty solid state practice amp.

Quote by Geetar_Axel
Really? I thought Frontmans where highly respected around here?!
Nah, it started off pretty badly TBH. The start of this decade we were rapidly sliding down the Nu-Metal ****ter (Sadly I was a huge nu metal fan then too )

After about 2005 though everything seems to have picked up, and a lot of really incredible metal has come out this year alone.
Quote by danielrobbyshor
whats wrong with Lamb of God?

There allright, there just not tr00 enough to be mentioned in the mighty metal forum.
I'd like to hear some reasons why you think log suck, and also why you think the blackening is overrated.

It seems to me that everyone who criticizes the blackening has only heard Aesthetics of Hate, just sayin'...
killswitch
atreyu had a good song
a7x has a decent song out
five finger death punch
sevendust

not alot but hell metal is coming back slowly

and as much as i hate to say it guitar hero is making rock and metal popular again
Quote by Kensai
Girls don't have to do anything to be good in bed. If she's got a pulse she's automatically an 8.

now if we want to talk about horrible metal bands, then ill bring up Job For A Cowboy.
Quote by kyrreca
You could get $1000 custom made pickups hand wired with Eric Johnsons pubic hair, and they'd still sound pretty bad through a ****ty solid state practice amp.

Quote by Geetar_Axel
Quote by aeon20k
killswitch
atreyu had a good song
a7x has a decent song out
five finger death punch
sevendust

not alot but hell metal is coming back slowly

and as much as i hate to say it guitar hero is making rock and metal popular again

How many noobs are there in here? ****!
metal gods have died, metalcore and nu metal is taking over and ppl think Trivium is thrash, im afraid i have to disagree threadstarter, im more of an old school extreme metal guy, and i dont like what ive been seeing
Gear:
Hamer Californian
Ibanez RG470
Ibanez RG120
Ibanez V
Crate 15 watt
Marshall 50DFX
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone pedal
"Member of The Straight Edge Club. PM danzig-_- to join."
killswitch is pathetic wtf are you talking about?!? every damn song sounds exactly the same.
Quote by kyrreca

Quote by Geetar_Axel
Quote by IbanezxXx
metal gods have died, metalcore and nu metal is taking over and ppl think Trivium is thrash, im afraid i have to disagree threadstarter, im more of an old school extreme metal guy, and i dont like what ive been seeing

i can agree with this too you cant deny the 80s and even late 70s stuff

i wanna see that come back

true power in metal

EDIT: without the ****ing screaming of todays metal for **** sake i hate brutal screaming and no whiny emo either
Quote by Kensai
Girls don't have to do anything to be good in bed. If she's got a pulse she's automatically an 8.

This thread is officially homoerotic. If any of you think that metal is coming back strong because of bands like LoG and Machine Head, you are sorely mistaken. Metal actually is going fairly strong as I see it. Plenty of good albums have come out and bands are generally getting more experimental. But not LoG, dear god no. If you think LoG is original, be my guest and tell me why, but there are too many bands to list that have made a great impact on this decade.
I've found Jesus
i will say there are bands that are making it worthwhile nowadays like toxic holocaust,municipal waste, 3inches of blood,hammerfall, but as u can see its a hell of a short list
Gear:
Hamer Californian
Ibanez RG470
Ibanez RG120
Ibanez V
Crate 15 watt
Marshall 50DFX
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone pedal
"Member of The Straight Edge Club. PM danzig-_- to join."
Quote by IbanezxXx

I partly agree with you there. 80's were obviously a better decade in metal.

But I don't agree with nu metal. I wouldn't class it as metal. When I talk about metal I mean real metal from thrash, groove, death, plain heavy metal, and yes...metalcore.

There are some decent metalcore bands out there (I personally think Trivium get critized way too much) And some death metal bands such as Nile have been amazing.

But albums like the blackening and ashes of the wake have really done it for me.
Quote by Contraband
This thread is officially homoerotic. If any of you think that metal is coming back strong because of bands like LoG and Machine Head, you are sorely mistaken. Metal actually is going fairly strong as I see it. Plenty of good albums have come out and bands are generally getting more experimental. But not LoG, dear god no. If you think LoG is original, be my guest and tell me why, but there are too many bands to list that have made a great impact on this decade.

lol...ok yeah i'd like to hear what makes LoG NOT original. No other band sounds like them. For starters Chris Adler is a beast on drums, and mark morton and willie addlers riffs are ****ing godlike. VOMIT RIFF ON HOURGLASS **** YES.
Quote by shibbyshaun
lol...ok yeah i'd like to hear what makes LoG NOT original. No other band sounds like them. For starters Chris Adler is a beast on drums, and mark morton and willie addlers riffs are ****ing godlike. VOMIT RIFF ON HOURGLASS **** YES.

Listen to Testament's Into the Pit.
Listen to Lamb of God's Laid to Rest.

You have just been pwned, sir.
My main rig:
Schecter C-1 Classic
B.C. Rich Mockingbird NJ Neck-thru
LTD M-300
Peavey 5150 II
Randall RS412XL

Greatest thread ever.
Quote by IbanezxXx

amen to that, especially the trivium bit

There are still some good bands around now, but almost all of the new (not nu) 'metal' bands that are coming out are... well.. bollocks. I mean i know a guy who thought that lost prophets were metal! what the hell is that! tbh i dont mind a bit of LoG, but bands like bullet for my valentine, bring me the horizon etc who say they are metal, look like queers and are crap too! and what makes it worse is they are from the UK! they are giving the UK a bad name! bring back old metal i say!

and thats why so far the 2000's have been s**t for metal.
Quote by hotdog_warmcat

ouch

but log is still good metal

i only like ashes of the wake album
and no one can match blythes "vocal" range
i still hate screaming but i can deal with that

EDIT: 2 things

testament Pwns
trivium is trying to sound like metallica and failing horribly i might add
Quote by Kensai

Last edited by aeon20k at Nov 24, 2007,
Quote by hotdog_warmcat

I never noticed that befor.
Hmmm....bad decade for metal?

Let's see who had good releases in the last 7 years...

Agalloch, Ahab, Alcest, Amon Amarth, Arcturus, Arsis, Asmegin, Augury, Ayreon, Behemoth, Blind Guardian, Cannibal Corpse, Circus Maximus, Dark Tranquillity, Decapitated, Deicide, Devin Townsend, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Dummy Burger, Dream Theater, Einherjer, Ensiferum, Enslaved, Ephel Duath, Epica, Exodus, Falkenbach, Falls of Rauros, Fantomas, Finntroll, Gordian Knot, Hate Eternal, Hypocrisy, Iced Earth, Immolation, Immortal, Insomnium, Iron Maiden, Isis, Kataklysm, Limbonic Art, Lord Belial, Lumsk, Lykathea Aflame, Meshuggah, Mithotyn, Morbid Angel, Necrophagist, Nevermore, Nile, Opeth, Pain of Salvation, Quo Vadis, Rhapsody, Sigh, Stratovarius, Suffocation, Symphony X, Turisas, Unexpect, Vader, Vintersorg, Watain, Winterhorde, Wintersun, Woods of Ypres, etc.
I've found Jesus
killswitch- are killing metal.
atreyu had a good song- aren't even metal aqnd wear mascara, which is NOT metal
a7x has a decent song out- i don't even have to go there
five finger death punch- cool name, terrible songs
sevendust- first album was pretty good, but that was '90's.

Good metal bands of the new millenium... well, most of 'em got their start before '00... but lets see... in no particular order:

Scar Symmetry, SYL, BLS, Down, Arch Enemy, Bloodbath, Opeth, Devildriver, Daath, Lamb of God, Gojira, High On Fire, Demons & Wizards, Dragonlord, Isis, The Haunted, Amon Amarth, Soilwork, Machine Head, Nevermore, Nile, Pelican, Soulfly... maybe a few more...

EDIT: oh ****... I forgot In Fwames! The band that all the newbies try to copy!

IMO, these are the metal stars of the new millenium. I realize a few of those guys had their 1st one or two albums out before '00, but it's bands that either they started touring a lot around then, started getting more recognition, had a major reformation in sound, or were the ones who started gettin' heavier before everyone jumped on the bandwagon... I think these are the main ones that just do their own things and have persistence. A lot of the newest bands kinda suck, IMO.
Last edited by guitgrinder at Nov 24, 2007,
Quote by hotdog_warmcat

LMAO that song sounds nothing like laid to rest.

only the intro sounds VAGUELY similar.
Quote by shibbyshaun

Chris Adler is not bad on drums, but nowhere near godlike status. Mark Morton on the other hand just recycles riffs. Honestly, how many times do you hear *chugga* *chugga* *weedly* *chugga* chugga* in LoG? Yeah, real original...

They don't enrich the genre with anything new. Everything they are trying to do has been done before. They are trying to be aggressive? Done before. Trying to have complex parts? Done before. Chugga? Done. Raspy screams? Done before.
I've found Jesus
Quote by shibbyshaun
LMAO that song sounds nothing like laid to rest.

only the intro sounds VAGUELY similar.

GTFO off my internets!
They're almost exactly alike. You're just afraid to admit it, YOU FAIL!
Lamb of God has ripped off so many of Testament's riffs... along with the 7000000 bands that sound exactly like them.

Lamb of God is meant to be discussed in the hardcore thread for a reason. They are not as good as a lot of stuff that actually is.

Let's take for example, Necrophagist. They don't go out and complain about how hard their riffs are, whereas Lamb of God does. Let's think about the fact that Necrophagist's main guitarist is also their vocalist as well. Lamb of God's guitarists just play guitar. That's it. And yet, when I read interviews about their new album, they said they made it easier to play, instead of the impossible string skipping riffs. Gay.

Don't get me wrong, I like them... a bit. I just really don't appreciate them. They're not meant to be spoken of here.

To keep on topic, my favorite bands of the past 10 years have been Necrophagist, Hate Eternal, Odious Mortem, Decrepit Birth, Opeth, Bloodbath, Agalloch, AEON!, 3 Inches of Blood, Capharnaum (despite ****ty vocals, look up the vocalist, you'll see why ), Behemoth, Abysmal Torment, Nile, Krisiun, Quo Vadis, and Darkane.

This decade has seen some cool comebacks, Carcass and At the Gates both are going to be at Wacken 2008. I'm pawning my soul off to afford it.
My main rig:
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD M-300
Peavey 5150 II
Randall RS412XL

Greatest thread ever.
Quote by hotdog_warmcat

This decade has seen some cool comebacks, Carcass and At the Gates both are going to be at Wacken 2008. I'm pawning my soul off to afford it.

Cynic this year....win.
I've found Jesus
Quote by Contraband
Cynic this year....win.

I knew they were back, didn't know they were doing Wacken. Damn. I hear they're making a new album too.
My main rig:
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD M-300
Peavey 5150 II
Randall RS412XL

Greatest thread ever.
Quote by mr freezy

I never noticed that befor.

Neither had I, I was so surprised. But I do love Laid to Rest as well. But Into The Pit is a classic thrash anthem.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by hotdog_warmcat
I knew they were back, didn't know they were doing Wacken. Damn. I hear they're making a new album too.

They're not doing Wacken as I know it. I'm just saying it's great that they're back.
I've found Jesus
im gonna get raped for this

and im aware there euro metal but

i like some CoB

also in flames

i ****ing hate dragonforce there ruining metal yeah there fast who cares

i like b4mv for thier guitar but hate the vocals

devil driver pwns

is breaking benjamin metal? or heavy rock?

soad

but nothing can compare to

kill em all
master of puppets
reighn in blood
ect.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Contraband
Chris Adler is not bad on drums, but nowhere near godlike status. Mark Morton on the other hand just recycles riffs. Honestly, how many times do you hear *chugga* *chugga* *weedly* *chugga* chugga* in LoG? Yeah, real original...

They don't enrich the genre with anything new. Everything they are trying to do has been done before. They are trying to be aggressive? Done before. Trying to have complex parts? Done before. Chugga? Done. Raspy screams? Done before.

Dumbest post I've ever read.

OK I agree with you to a certain extent about their riffs. Some of them do sound to alike, and repetitive. But how awesome they are make up for that.

Your 2nd point though, wow.

What metal band doesn't try to be aggressive? YOU IDIOT.
What super underground melodic death metal swedish band doesn't have complex parts?
And how many metal bands have "Raspy" vocals?

DONE BEFORE.

I wouldn't be surprised if you replied to this saying: Omfg, Lamb of God are so unoriginal because they use distortion. At least this (unknown scandanavian extreme metal band with 1 album) Play like they're trying to be beethoven. **** you, kids like you are always hating on popular bands simply because they are popular.
Last edited by shibbyshaun at Nov 24, 2007,
^Turn your fucking CAPS lock off.

Quote by Contraband
They're not doing Wacken as I know it. I'm just saying it's great that they're back.

I'm praying Bloodstock... as impossible as it may seem.
Opeth - Tool - Ephel Duath - Cynic
Last edited by Slayer_Guy at Nov 24, 2007,
Carcass + At the Gates + Cynic = Metalgasm

If only Chuck came back through a ZOMBIE RITUAL then it would be even better
Quote by Contraband
Hmmm....bad decade for metal?

Let's see who had good releases in the last 7 years...

Agalloch, Ahab, Alcest, Amon Amarth, Arcturus, Arsis, Asmegin, Augury, Ayreon, Behemoth, Blind Guardian, Cannibal Corpse, Circus Maximus, Dark Tranquillity, Decapitated, Deicide, Devin Townsend, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Dummy Burger, Dream Theater, Einherjer, Ensiferum, Enslaved, Ephel Duath, Epica, Exodus, Falkenbach, Falls of Rauros, Fantomas, Finntroll, Gordian Knot, Hate Eternal, Hypocrisy, Iced Earth, Immolation, Immortal, Insomnium, Iron Maiden, Isis, Kataklysm, Limbonic Art, Lord Belial, Lumsk, Lykathea Aflame, Meshuggah, Mithotyn, Morbid Angel, Necrophagist, Nevermore, Nile, Opeth, Pain of Salvation, Quo Vadis, Rhapsody, Sigh, Stratovarius, Suffocation, Symphony X, Turisas, Unexpect, Vader, Vintersorg, Watain, Winterhorde, Wintersun, Woods of Ypres, etc.

lol at alphabetical order.
Quote by DUP3R
I like my women like I like my Pop-tarts : dipped in blood and covered in a gay man's feces.

This sig was too fucking big. Make it smaller next time, chief.