Hey, I recently got a Peavey Classic 30 and play almost exclusively on the clean channel. I have to keep the volume setting low so that my ears don't explode, but I hear that tube amps get a much better tone when the volume is cranked a bit higher. Anyway, most people seem to use attenuators to make this possible. But as an alternative, I was wondering if lowering an EQ pedal's volume setting could keep the amp volume low enough without sucking tone out. I'm new to this stuff, so this EQ thought might just be a big stupid idea.
No, it wouldn't work if you want power tube distortion. The power amp starts to distort when it outputs enough, so you can't get it with low volume levels (unless you use an attenuator).

Edit: And yes, you are talking about power amp distortion.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Well, I'm not looking for distortion really, just a better overall tone. I guess what I'm looking for in the amp is to able to turn the volume high enough that I get a better tone, but not so much that it starts overdriving. I'm not sure if this "state" of the amp actually exists, but it was the impression that I had gotten reading through the forums.
power amp distortion is my fav. so i guess if youw want that get a clean booster to push it even farther. I have a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 and use the regular OD on it as a clean boost pretty much and then the boost as an actual overdrive. It doesnt make much since to overdrive the boost but oh well
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by ssguitar
power amp distortion is my fav. so i guess if youw want that get a clean booster to push it even farther. I have a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 and use the regular OD on it as a clean boost pretty much and then the boost as an actual overdrive. It doesnt make much since to overdrive the boost but oh well

Wouldn't an OD drive the preamp more than the power amp? Well, I guess it'd drive the power amp too, but to a pretty small extent?

Also, Threlyn: That great tone when louder is power amp distortion. It's that bluesy crunch you can get from amps like the Valve Junior, which are normally clean. On amps which have distortion even at low volumes, it makes the distortion sound better. Also, I think the tubes take some time to warm up completely, but I don't think that's what you mean.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
I'm still learning here, so sorry if I'm a bit slow on the uptake. My amp has two channels. The clean channel only has a master volume knob. The other channel has both pre and post knobs. Assume I just want a clean tone. If I want as good of a clean tone as possible, would I be able use the clean channel at low volumes and still get a the most out of the amp? Or would I need to turn the volume up a little to get a good clean tone?