Page 1 of 2
this guy i work with is constantly trying to get one up on me about how good he is at guitar, even though i've never heard him play
he came out with some ABSOLUTE GEMS today!

firstly after i told him i was studying for grade 5 i asked what grade he is and he said he's been told he's grade 8, then i said yeah but its easy enough to say that but actually DOING a grade is different as it requires alot of work and development so then he said he was actually grade 6-7ish so i just ignored him lol

then i asked what teqhniques he could do and he asked me to name some (he said the only technique he COULDN'T do was a divebomb because he didn't have a whammy bar lol - even joe satriani can't do EVERY technique in the world lol)
so i asked if he could sweep and he said "kind of but i'm not very good at it" before proceeding intop a rant about just because you can play fast it doesn't make you a good player, then i said economy picking and he didn't have a clue what it was but when i tried to explain he said he does that naturally (highly doubful since its not a natural technique to use really and requires practice)

THEN i asked what amp he has and he said a Marshall MG30
but here's the great thing! he goes "its a really good amp, the practice studios we use in my band have loads of 70's marshalls and the distortion is rubbish compared to the MG
needless to say i just LOL'd my head off and suggested he should try boosting the 70's marshall and he'll see the difference
after i verbally ripped his marshall MG to shreds he went on to say he's gonan upgrade to a Line 6 - i explained that they were equally as **** and he comes out with this gem: "wtf are you on about??? line 6 got voted in like the top 10 guitar amps in the world"
hahahahahahahahaha i think a little but of wee came out at this point

other gems included

"i can play XXX song by Architects nearly all the way through!" - what, without being able to sweep well???

"My marshall MG isn't solid state"

after i abused his MG he goes:
"i bet you use one of those dirty mosher amps like Randalls"

"my college has those behringer V amps, they're amazing"

"the country songs at grade 8 are easy"

"i can airtap"
this came because he saw my myspace profile song which is a song called airtap where the artist places his guitar facing up on his knee and taps and drums, put it this way if he can do that i'd be AMAZED

can't remember any more but he just came a cross as the ultimate UG noob haha

EDIT: lol i knew i'd get flamed for this
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

www.myspace.com/samtewari
Last edited by samtewari at Nov 24, 2007,
What if he really can do all that?

How do you know he can't? He might just be a little.. shaky in the head.

How would you feel then?
i am NOT reading all of that
Quote by darkstar2466

I love you.

Quote by rabidguitarist

Can I be your adopted parent? I'd love you like a real son.

"Arguing over the internet is like the special olympics. No matter who wins, your both still retards." - A man of many muffins
oh yeah i should have explained he's a 16 year old scene wannabe kid

and just trust me he can't lol

i told him to stick videos on youtube when he gets home, if he does i'll post them
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

I'm a fairly decent guitarist, maybe not in professional terms but better than most and I"m generally told I have decent phrasing etc and don't have a CLUE what economy picking is, heh.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
You're annoyed because he's always trying to get one up on you, so you bait him and then proceed with great delight to post about it all over the Pit to increase your netcred? Smooooth....

Admittedly I can't stand people who have ideas above their station, but I just didn't like the way you wrote about it...
Quote by Nightmare_xxx
to be honest, I thought they were awful. I mean some of the songs our drummer's written was better than their stuff.
I economy pick naturally.

I had to work on my strictly alt picking to get it anywhere near decent.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
That's why guitar grades mean nothing. I know a girl that can play grade 8 piano but can't do a simple jazz vamp to save her life!
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I economy pick naturally.

I had to work on my strictly alt picking to get it anywhere near decent.

ah right, everyone i know has to work on economy picking

i assumed usually people started off doing downstrokes, then developed alternate picking, then did economy picking
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

Quote by Metalology
That's why guitar grades mean nothing. I know a girl that can play grade 8 piano but can't do a simple jazz vamp to save her life!

Uh...maybe because jazz is a completely different style of music from classical?
I can economy pick better than I can alt pick. Of course, I'm self taught, so it's all unorthodox, and usually not correct.
Both of you sound a little stuck up.

Music is a community not a competition.
Smile alot today... okay?
Quote by Xiaoxi
Uh...maybe because jazz is a completely different style of music from classical?

Yes, but people use the whole grade argument to make themselves look great. Playing one great 8 piano piece doesn't make a player proficient, you need to be versatile.

Besides, if she doesn't want to play jazz why did she join our school's jazz band? Oi.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
So what? Any point to this thread? Or should I start making threads about all the people who im better than and all the stupid shit they say? Remember that you too were once at a stage where you knew basically nothing about stuff like this, so whats the point of degrading someone?
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by Metalology
Yes, but people use the whole grade argument to make themselves look great. Playing one great 8 piano piece doesn't make a player proficient, you need to be versatile.

Besides, if she doesn't want to play jazz why did she join our school's jazz band? Oi.

Because she wants to LEARN to play it, Mr judgemental :p
Quote by Metalology

thats the point though, you have to do several different pieces to get a grade

i find the metal piece at grade 5 pretty easy but when it comes to the blues/surf piece i reckon i'm gonna have to up my game
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

Pointless thread. Stop bitching, let him bull**** and fall flat on his arse.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by dann_blood
So what? Any point to this thread? Or should I start making threads about all the people who im better than and all the stupid shit they say? Remember that you too were once at a stage where you knew basically nothing about stuff like this, so whats the point of degrading someone?

yeah but i didn't go around trying to say other people are **** and saying i could play all this stuff i blatantly couldn't

at least i'm honest about my abilities
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

Quote by samtewari
thats the point though, you have to do several different pieces to get a grade

i find the metal piece at grade 5 pretty easy but when it comes to the blues/surf piece i reckon i'm gonna have to up my game

lol you talking about Rock Steady?
I found this really, really funny. It's like, 'Hey, I'm akid who can play guitar! I am really good DOHOHOHOHO' but the joke is that he's NOT!!! and just exaggerates a lot!!
But I am a bit drunk so that's understandable really.
derp
lol u have faggot in ur username

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Everything I say is to be taken as serious fucking business.
Quote by meh!
lol you talking about Rock Steady?

lo no idea, i've only just started and i'm on the prog metal piece called sidewinder

i'm pretty crap at syncopated stuff atm though so i might have problems with all the blues stuff
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

Quote by samtewari
yeah but i didn't go around trying to say other people are **** and saying i could play all this stuff i blatantly couldn't

at least i'm honest about my abilities

That doesnt justify what you did. And apparantly, from what I gathered from the whole first post, you ARE saying this other kid is ****.
You should just delete this thread.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
You shoud challenge him to a fight and then don't turn up.
THen you can kick his ass on the dodgeball court when he least expcets it!! lol!!!
derp

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Quote by samtewari
lo no idea, i've only just started and i'm on the prog metal piece called sidewinder

i'm pretty crap at syncopated stuff atm though so i might have problems with all the blues stuff

Is this the Rockschool books yeah?

I just remembered they released a new set of them didn't they. I played on the old series. Don't use them anymore, finished grade 8 for my last exam in school. By finished I mean I learnt 3 of the pieces and couldn't be ****ed with the others, cause the metal one was so **** and this "jazz" thing was awful.
Quote by meh!
Is this the Rockschool books yeah?

I just remembered they released a new set of them didn't they. I played on the old series. Don't use them anymore, finished grade 8 for my last exam in school. By finished I mean I learnt 3 of the pieces and couldn't be ****ed with the others, cause the metal one was so **** and this "jazz" thing was awful.

ah right it might be
in fact i think it is, i ahven't got the book he's just printed off some music for me to learn and he's getting me the backing track next week
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

Quote by samtewari
ah right it might be
in fact i think it is, i ahven't got the book he's just printed off some music for me to learn and he's getting me the backing track next week

Assuming you're British, it probably is. Very popular series. The exams count as much as the Trinity college exams.
Quote by meh!
The exams count as much as the Trinity college exams.

WOOOOOOSH straight over my head lol

what does that mean?
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

It means you are a faggot!
derp

Quote by Jack Off Jill

Quote by rorythefaggot
It means you are a faggot!

Sober up, you filthy drunk!
Quote by samtewari
WOOOOOOSH straight over my head lol

what does that mean?

Trinity college exams are the ones people will sit if they play an classical instrument (There is another large type , but I forget what it's called) and they are what universities and such look at in an official way to determine your level.

Rockschool exams are treated the same way. (You have to pay to take them too )
TS, I use economy picking. I have done since I started playing, it came naturally to me. It doesn't require hours of practise if it feels easiest to do to begin with. n00b.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Quote by meh!
Trinity college exams are the ones people will sit if they play an classical instrument (There is another large type , but I forget what it's called) and they are what universities and such look at in an official way to determine your level.

Rockschool exams are treated the same way. (You have to pay to take them too )

ah right cool

i understand the rockschool exams are better for popular music

they come with tabs which is useful since i haven't been able to read music well since i was about 10 (i used to play classical guitar)
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

Quote by Metalology

Maybe in your book, proficiency requires being versatile. But that is not a fact.
let him play what he wants, mmk?
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
w8...did he say that he was going to upgrade to a line6 from a marshall...
line 6 suck. i dont like the effekts on line 6
Page 1 of 2