Well I'm playing with a drummer at this moment in time n we both love plaing progressive music. It's not playing it that is the problem for us as we are both talented enough its just the writing process that is getting to me. Can anyone help me with ideas(not parts of songs just techniques and things along those lines). Thanks in advance for any replies.
Guitar:Gibson Les Paul Standard

Amp:Vox AC30

Everyone listen to MGMT
When you're stumped in writing, detune your guitar randomly, and then try to write stuff. It forces you out of your comfort zone.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Quote by gwitersnamps
When you're stumped in writing, detune your guitar randomly, and then try to write stuff. It forces you out of your comfort zone.

^Don't do that.

Listen to some of your favorite Prog bands for inspiration. Or, just do 100% improvised jam and tape-record it. Listen back and if there's an idea that both of you really like, take that and develop it.
i personally like writing riffs based on the shapes of the modes. also i'd suggest writing riffs in different time signatures like 5/4 or 7/8
Use and abuse the modes, especially Mixolydian and Phyrgian. Also use polyrhytmics, if you're good enough
A polar bear came to talk to me the other day....
...But then I realized...
...I don't own a coat, let alone firecrackers

Visit my Soundcloud, OR SUFFER.
writing songs and riffs isnt a walk in the park
it will just come to you while you are playing and NOT THINKING ABOUT IT or while you laying in bed or driving to walmart it will just come to you
Either think of something in your head and try to play it. Or improvise/jam and see what comes out of that. Listen to bands you like that are progressive type bands. Dont rip them off, dont copy their riffs, but just listen, then fool around.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!