Well, I might get a distortion or overdrive pedal this Christmas to go along with my new amp, but I'm clueless when it comes to distortion pedals. What I'm looking for is a pedal that will give me Eddie Van Halen-type distortion along with other classic rock sounds. I'm not sure if I would use a distortion or overdrive pedal for that, so suggest some pedals for me.
Agile AL-3000 Cherry Sunburst
Fender American Strat HSS
1981 Yamaha FG-335II
Crate V1512 (USA made)
Fender Frontman 15R
Dunlop Crybaby Slash Wah
MXR EVH Phase 90
Ibanez TS9 w/ Keeley Baked Mod
Boss SD-1
Boss DD-3
Quote by Bpags868
Well, I might get a distortion or overdrive pedal this Christmas to go along with my new amp, but I'm clueless when it comes to distortion pedals. What I'm looking for is a pedal that will give me Eddie Van Halen-type distortion along with other classic rock sounds. I'm not sure if I would use a distortion or overdrive pedal for that, so suggest some pedals for me.

honestly, it depends.

for a classic brittish invasion sound, try the electro harmonix Big muff Pi

for a van halen ish tone, check out the yellow Boss distortion pedal. i forgot the name.
Epiphone Les paul
bcrich Warlock platinum
Gibson Gss50 amp
Peavey special 212
Digitech RP80 effects pedal

first metal chubby
---------------------------
-----------5---------------
---------7-------------7---
------0--------6---5-------
Quote by HorrorFiend
honestly, it depends.

for a classic brittish invasion sound, try the electro harmonix Big muff Pi

for a van halen ish tone, check out the yellow Boss distortion pedal. i forgot the name.

The Super Overdrive is what I believe its called. It gets very good VH tones, along with the MXR Distortion+ and DOD 250 Preamp Overdrive.
Quote by lefthandman9876
the metal muff is so much better

and cheaper

+ infinity.
Quote by lefthandman9876
the metal muff is so much better

and cheaper

Number one, one is not better then the other, as its preference; that said I find them very similar, and number two, it won't work for Van halen tones very well.
if you are looking to get several different tones check out the MXR double shot and the Boss OD-20
If its not fender than whatever]
the boss super overdrive sd- 1 is what evh used along with a bunch of other pedals and the sd-1 runs about 50$ usd
What amp are you getting?
How big is your budget?

A Fulltone OCD would give your amp a kick in the backside without colouring the tone too much.
Quote by Nolly
What amp are you getting?
How big is your budget?

A Fulltone OCD would give your amp a kick in the backside without colouring the tone too much.

Getting a Crate Palomino V16. I could go slightly over $100 for the distortion pedal.
Agile AL-3000 Cherry Sunburst
Fender American Strat HSS
1981 Yamaha FG-335II
Crate V1512 (USA made)
Fender Frontman 15R
Dunlop Crybaby Slash Wah
MXR EVH Phase 90
Ibanez TS9 w/ Keeley Baked Mod
Boss SD-1
Boss DD-3
Quote by CJRocker
It gets very good VH tones, along with the MXR Distortion+ and DOD 250 Preamp Overdrive.

Aren't the two almost identical?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
Aren't the two almost identical?

I always felt the D+ was a bit bassier and had a little mroe drive on hand, but otherwise yes, they are very similar.
I love the distortion +, very wide range

The electro-harmonix double muff is really cool as well
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Then why does MXR charge double the price of the DOD? O_o
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
Then why does MXR charge double the price of the DOD? O_o

MXR has better case, which is built to withstand nuclear warfare. Its also got an LED, and I'm pretty sure its true bypass (I know I used to always leave mine plugged in and it never drained the battery), as well as the Germanium clipping diodes. Just an all around more solid pedal I think sounds better and is built better.
Oh... works better than the DOD for boosting?
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by aznrockerdude
Oh... works better than the DOD for boosting?

DOD makes a better boost imo, as its EQ is a bit flatter, and the descent into distortion less abrupt and aggressive. For boosting though I use a TS9, which I feel does the job a lot better then the DOD, as it is extremely smooth.