Page 1 of 2
Where would you rather have lived? I say New York City because of The Heartbreakers, Television, Talking Heads, Ramones, Richard Hell, Blondie(even though X-Ray Spex are better), etc... It's a really hard choice but I'd go with NYC. What about all you other tr00 z0mbieez?
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
I'd go with New York too. On top of all those bands that you listed (and Blondie is better) you get a great venue in CBGB's
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by StreetLight3989
Where would you rather have lived? I say New York City because of The Heartbreakers, Television, Talking Heads, Ramones, Richard Hell, Blondie(even though X-Ray Spex are better), etc... It's a really hard choice but I'd go with NYC. What about all you other tr00 z0mbieez?

BOTH
I love all forms of Rock 'n' Roll, past and NOT present
Quote by element4433
I'd go with New York too. On top of all those bands that you listed (and Blondie is better) you get a great venue in CBGB's

My uncle went to CBGB's around 77' and said it was a complete crap hole. He loved the bands but he the said the place was disgusting. I would've probably liked it though.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
New York - English punk was contrived and overrated. Give me the Ramones, Television, Talking Heads and the Lou Reed / Velvet Underground any day. Sex Pistols were OK, but they were more a fasion statement and an exersise in obnoxiousness then a band.
Last edited by sus4th at Nov 24, 2007,
New York
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Quote by sus4th
New York - english punk was contrived and overrated. Give me the Ramones, Television, Talking Heads and the Lou Reed / Velvet Underground any day. Sex Pistols were OK, but they were more a fasion statement then a band.

I heard the Sex Pistols were the best live band ever
Sex pistol were terrible live. Sets were extrodinarly short and completely shotty - especially when Sid was in the band.
Quote by StreetLight3989
My uncle went to CBGB's around 77' and said it was a complete crap hole. He loved the bands but he the said the place was disgusting. I would've probably liked it though.
I believe that, but I still would have loved to see it.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by sus4th
Sex pistol were terrible live. Sets were extrodinarly short and completely shotty - especially when Sid was in the band.

I said were, as in, before that douche bag sid vicious came in.
The Clash in London is tempting, but I think I'd rather see Television live. The Clash were better a few years later anyway.
I would go with London, cuz then I could have The Damned, The Clash, Sex Pistols, X-Ray Spex, The Adicts, and The Buzzcocks, and then a bit later on I could see Joy Division, The Specials, Gang of Four, Madness, Crass, etc, etc.
New York

Dead Boys, The Cramps, The Ramones, Suicide, Lou Reed, Richard Hell.. it'd be awesome.

Unlike now, when it looks like CBGB's is going to be turned into a "high -end men's fashion outlet".

http://www.villagevoice.com/blogs/fashion/archives/2007/11/rip_cbgb_welcom.php

http://www.villagevoice.com/nyclife/0745,yaeger,78289,15.html
Last edited by Mind Riot at Nov 25, 2007,
'77 new york was crap.

'77 london was good but getting crap because of bands like the Clash, and not yet blessed with the existence of Sam 69.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
'77 new york was crap.

'77 london was good but getting crap because of bands like the Clash, and not yet blessed with the existence of Sam 69.

I hate Sham 69
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Hmm...it's a tough choice. NYC punk was more artistic and melodic, but 77' Uk punk had more of an edge musically and lyrically.

The Clash
Wire
The Damned
The Adverts
ATV
Eater
The Stranglers
Menace
The Boys
Sex Pistols
X-Ray Spex

vs.

Television
Richard Hell
Johnny T & The Heartbreakers
Ramones
Suicide
Dead Boys
Blondie
Talking Heads
Patti Smith

That's not a nice decision to make. So I'm gonna leave it as that, they both were good but different.

P.s. as much as I adore Television I fail to see how they are punk both musically and lyrically
Although I'm not a tr00 z0mb1ee like all you kewl guise, New York. Television, Patti Smith, Talking Heads and Richard Hell were all great. The London scene was, like someone said, a lot more contrieved than the NYC scene, which just kind of happened, and more spontanousely so.
Quote by radio_schizo
P.s. as much as I adore Television I fail to see how they are punk both musically and lyrically

They're not really classed as Punk because of their music I believe, but more because they played at CBGB's. And their music was a lot more garage-y during the Richard Hell era, I suppose. So no, they aren't really punk musicially, but they were a part of the arty avant-garde punk scene in New York.
I'd rather live in New York than London anyday. USA! USA! USA!
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
Quote by DanRev
Morocco

North Africa FTW!

I've always wanted to drift around that area of the world...

On a camel...
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
North Africa FTW!

On a camel...

That'd be tr00 z0mbieez.
I would have rather lived in magical fairyland. Where all bands are infinitely badass and the carefully ripped and torn t-shirts could fill an aircraft carrier.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
North Africa FTW!

On a camel...

Do you know that the mauretanian national sport is camel **** boule? They´re playing with their excrements.....that´s really crust

@ topic: It´s hard....but I think London
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
North Africa FTW!

On a camel...

Morrocco produced some great bands like The Hash, Stiff little monkeys paw and some great songs came out of the place. Anarchy in the Al-Mamlaka al-Maghribiya for one.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
'77 new york was crap.

i remember you saying once... "the east coasters did it better, god save the dead boys" or something like that...

plus the dead boys rule...

but then UK had the uk subs....sex pistols...the adicts...sham 69

but richard hell is the best....

I'll go with NYC....
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rancid are the best punk band ever.

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.
I was under the impression the dead boys were '76.

If not, then I apologise, because I f*cking love the dead boys. They're pretty much the best band bar none.

Except for the dolls, ramones and VU.

And the dead boys, did I mention I f*ckin' love the dead boys?

EDIT: and for the record, I think that Richard Hell and the Voidoids, hell, anything with Richard Hell, except for the Heartbreakers, was too conceptual. I see punk as being based around action, as opposed to armchair philosophy.

Also, the heartbreakers were from New York, but existed in England. Where do they fit in to all of this?
Last edited by BrianApocalypse at Nov 27, 2007,
**** your '77 punk. What about the 80's people?
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
The 80's had The Minutemen. That alone gives the 80's an A+

But the 80's also was when most good bands turned ****e, and most ****e bands got even ****ier. So I still say 70's punk -> 80's punk.
Page 1 of 2