Hey guys I might be getting a Martin D12X1 soon, and I was wondering if you knew any good pickup systems that wouldnt require cutting holes in my guitar or driling holes in it. Maybe a system with just an internal microphone and a preamp connected to the output jack? Thanks, there's the Godin Quantum II system which i really like on the Seagull guitars, but I dont think you can get one separately, and you need to drill a hole in the guitar possible. Anyways, somethign like that but without an under addle piezo systm or a control you need on the side fo the guitar. does that make sense?

thanks agian.
some people just put a humbucker over the sound hole, i dont know how well this works, but it seems like it would work well, temporary solution though.
Quote by NGD1313
I cen lyk spel reel gud. I came n 2nd n da spelling b, sum dumb 4en kid beet meh.
Hmm. yeah, muso_chris, like one of these?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-Woody-HC-HumCanceling-Soundhole-Pickup?sku=300957 (which does kinda look like the wire woudl get in the way)

or these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lace-California-Acoustic-Soundhole-Pickup-w-Endpin-Jack?sku=305424
which actually seems quite perfect.

Simple and doesn't kill you guitar.
Actually, can't I just make one for like five bucks with a piezo transducer, and some wire to connect to an output jack, which i can then mount to the body as a sensor/pickup? i read somewhere that you could do that, but do any of you know if that sound decent enough?
1. errmmm..... well the only way to not have to cut holes in your guitar when fitting a pickup is to have a cable coming out, just like on the soundholes pickups like you linked to. Keep in mind that the one you said doesnt look to bad would still have the cord coming out, just its not shown in the photo. You can permanently install a soundhole pickup but your still going to have drill a hole in the side for an output jack so that you dont have the cord coming out the soudhole. Also im not sure how well a soundhole pup is going to work with a 12string. it may not pick up the octave strings as strongly detracting from the overall sound of the guitar. Not sure tho, could be worth confirming before you lay done any cash.

2. Yes you can make a pup from a piezo trandsucer (you can also buy them as well) but either way, if you buy one or make one, your going to have to drill a hole in the side of the body to fit an output jack OR your going to have to have a cable coming out from your soundhole.
Funnily enough im intending to make a piezo transducer pickup for my cheapo acoustic (cos i dont mind drilling into it and it looks like fun) so i guess your in luck cos i have some info on it. Here are a couple of links. THe first is specifically for making a pickup for an acoustic, the second one is just fro making a contact mic but theyre pretty much the same. Also remember, google is your friend, theres a fair bit of stuff around on this, so iy might also be worth having a bit of a search for additional info.

http://web.mit.edu/kumpf/www/guitarpickup.html
http://home.earthlink.net/~erinys/contactmic.html

Oh and i think you should be able to buy the Piezo element on its own without all the usual buzzer bits as well, could be a tad cheaper and would be easier to work with if so.
I'd suggest you get yourself a good condenser mic rather than a pickup. It'll give you more natural tone and because it's not connected to your guitar at all, you don't have to mod anything.

Even the soundhole pickups tend to want you to drill a hole in the end of your guitar for a strap jack. You can run wires down the front of the instrument but then they get in your way. Plus none of the acoustic pickups really work that well for 12 string guitars. Sure they function, but they don't sound that good.

Quote by nxtvanhalen
Actually, can't I just make one for like five bucks with a piezo transducer, and some wire to connect to an output jack, which i can then mount to the body as a sensor/pickup? i read somewhere that you could do that, but do any of you know if that sound decent enough?

You could do that. Basically you take any piezo buzzer, remove the piezo element. Solder a wire to the outside ring, solder another wire to the middle, and solder those to your output jack. If you do this, you will still need a preamp to make it work.

You can get what is basically the same thing for stewmac for about $20 and the stewmac is likely to be more rugged than one you build yourself. I think it'll be worth the little bit extra.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Nov 25, 2007,