Dean '79 Z vs. the classic.

Obviously, tradition and prices would suggest that the Gibson would be the superior guitar.

On the other hand, I hear that Gibson's quality control has turned into utter **** and that they put out a lot of crappy guitars nowadays.

I also hear that the finishes on the Explorers are really bad, and that they get damaged really easily. One dude even told me that the finish on the back of the neck would actually come off on his hand when he played his Explorer.

I don't know a whole lot about what kind of reputation the Deans have.

The guitar will be used for really low tunings and death metal. I'll be replacing the pickups either way.

Thoughts?
i personally would go with the dean just because i dont' like the gibson finish options, but if you're going to play metal, and want an explorer style guitar, look into the jackson kellys, athere 3 price ranges, teh $300 price range, about 700-1200, and then teh made in US one that comes with an OFR, and a plethora of finishes to chose from http://jacksonguitars.com/products/search.php?section=guitars&cat=kelly
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
A lot of people have been switching over to Dean. Leslie West from Mountain and Kerry Livgren from Kansas both play Dean, so I'm assuming they are very good guitars. And of course Dimebag played the ML's and Nile has been playing the Z's and V's for a while now, so Dean is a company to look into. That being said, Gibson has a very good reputation, but I haven't played any of their more recent guitars. Not sure if the rumors about their quality control are true or not, but I would be concerned about it.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
gibsons quality control has gone to **** in recent years, yeah thats true. gibson is still a far superior instrument though. just look around till you find one you love, should be about the 3rd or 4th one off the rack that gives you sparks.

gibson does great finishes, i dont know what that guy was talking about. and the pups kickass
Quote by ChaoticVengence
i personally would go with the dean just because i dont' like the gibson finish options

black.... black.... ok what else do you need? you cant metalize the sunburst, and at least you get the choice of white with gibson, be like james hetfield when he played gibsons
As far as the finishes go, I'd have to agree that the Gibson finishes are better looking; it's just the durability that I'm concerned about. Is it true that they have nitrocellulose?

And the other thing is that I'll be buying online, so I don't won't have the option of trying out several different guitars. I need whichever brand will give me the most chance of randomly getting a good guitar.
Quote by ChaoticVengence
i personally would go with the dean just because i dont' like the gibson finish options, but if you're going to play metal, and want an explorer style guitar, look into the jackson kellys, athere 3 price ranges, teh $300 price range, about 700-1200, and then teh made in US one that comes with an OFR, and a plethora of finishes to chose from http://jacksonguitars.com/products/search.php?section=guitars&cat=kelly

+100
i love these, they are so awesum!
personally, i cant stand dean...idky tho
They problem with the Jacksons is that I want a fixed bridge, and the only Kelly that has one is the cheap model.
There's no doubt that both Dean and Gibson makes some sweet guitars. Am i right? Yes. With that being said, I'd go for the Gibson because I REALLY love the Gibson '60 neck and the fact that Gibson guitars has a great tone. The QC has gone down, yes, but it's very easy to spot a bad product if you do the following:

Check the neck, is it straight with a slight curve?
Check the neck joint, the finish might have f*cked up, but that's (in 99/100 cases) only visual.
Check the overall finish. The nitro finish that Gibson uses can take A LOT of beatings, and I mean a lot. My Les Paul has taken some extreme hits and I've dropped it once. It has a lot of greasy fingers, but very few scratches and no chips, dings or what-so-ever.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?