Page 1 of 2
Something has begun to anoy me of late. Whenever powerchord is mention people immediately start flamming. This is obvisoly because of punk rock bands. But power chords are also prevalent in metal and many other forms of quite complicated rock. So im jsut wondering what other people thoughs are on this.
its bad when a WHOLE SONG is based on powerchords alone

in metal and other genres, power chords are used not nearly as much
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Quote by GuitarGuitar
Something has begun to anoy me of late. Whenever powerchord is mention people immediately start flamming. This is obvisoly because of punk rock bands. But power chords are also prevalent in metal and many other forms of quite complicated rock. So im jsut wondering what other people thoughs are on this.

its at punk rock, and mostly towards punk rock. Not so much in metal, since more than three notes in a chord, you tend to muddy up everything.

And i've noticed an even more disturbing trend. Look at any MCR, Fallout Boy song, they take out the 5th in the powerchord (middle of the three notes). They're technically not even playing a chord, its just two root notes.
Quote by DaveGilmour1189
its at punk rock, and mostly towards punk rock. Not so much in metal, since more than three notes in a chord, you tend to muddy up everything.

And i've noticed an even more disturbing trend. Look at any MCR, Fallout Boy song, they take out the 5th in the powerchord (middle of the three notes). They're technically not even playing a chord, its just two root notes.

You mean octave chords? They use them to get an airy, fruity sort of sound.
It's like castrating a power chord. (when not used properly)
"He can dance if he wants too, he can leave his friends behind..."

Quote by Tsucchi
Because nothing is sexier than a man with a mouth full of crayons.
Quote by DaveGilmour1189

that's an octave actually. simple.
My main rig:
Schecter C-1 Classic
B.C. Rich Mockingbird NJ Neck-thru
LTD M-300
Peavey 5150 II
Randall RS412XL

Greatest thread ever.
who doesn't use octave chords at some point?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Power chords are awesome.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
Quote by GuitarGuitar
But power chords are also prevalent in metal and many other forms of quite complicated rock.

irony...

haha, he thinks rock and metal are complicated...
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Quote by hotdog_warmcat
that's an octave actually. simple.

yeah, i've never actually heard it as a chord in a rhythm guitar part. I mean, hendrix threw it into fills all the time, but they just strum it.
Quote by cashewchaching
irony...

i didnt say metal was complicated and are you saying that there are no types of rock that a complicated?
Quote by GuitarGuitar
i didnt say metal was complicated and are you saying that there are no types of rock that a complicated?

compared to the rest of music? rock really isn't that complicated.

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Quote by cashewchaching
irony...

Yes, because bands like Ion Dissonance, and Into The Moat don't play complicated guitar pieces.
Quote by Teh GIR
its bad when a WHOLE SONG s based on powerchords alone

in metal and other genres, power chords are used not nearly as much

Thats a little narrow minded. It should be, if ALL OF THIER SONGS (or say more than 50%) are all nothing but power chords alone.

IMO, music should not be souly based on how advanced the guitarists techniques are, (Or keyboardists, etc.) it should be how the music sounds OVERALL.
I like some of Green Day's stuff, I also like SRV, Steve Vai, Rush, etc.

If someone bases thier idea of a good song simply on the advanced techniques used by someone, is severly limiting themselves to many other types of music, bands, musicians, etc.
I have a dream where chords will be judged, not by the amount of notes in them or the by the poppy preteen bands that use them, by the content of their character. And the powerchords will be able to sit at the front of the bus if they want.
clarify what you mean by rest of music, do you mean jazz, rap or what?? Keep in mind i was using rock very broadly
The Who used a lot of power chords and they are ****ing awesome.

Can they work out? Yes
Can they be overused? Yes
"Imagine all the people, sharing all the world"
-John Lennon
Quote by Beakwithteeth
I have a dream where chords will be judged, not by the amount of notes in them or the by the poppy preteen bands that use them, by the content of their character. And the powerchords will be able to sit at the front of the bus if they want.

lol awesome
the point is parallel fifths sound horrible
Cmstar90: i have too lisen to a song for hours just to figure out of one part it sound and how to move my fingers tso that it sounds that way
Cmstar90: when u seem to figure it out in seconds
Quote by Mr.McAwesom2112
You mean octave chords? They use them to get an airy, fruity sort of sound.
It's like castrating a power chord. (when not used properly)

They literally do sound like someone being castrated when you use too much gain with them.

The Who used a lot of power chords and they are ****ing awesome.

True 'dat.
Quote by ReeseKillsHIV
Yes, because bands like Ion Dissonance, and Into The Moat don't play complicated guitar pieces.

Okay, so now you've named two bands that take one of the instruments in their band and give them a complicated part. Now take forty people in classical, or twenty in jazz, give them each intricate parts, and complicated chords never seen in modern rock and stuff today. And that is the norm for those types of music. Now don't get me wrong, i freaking love rock, the blues, ska, and all those other simpler styles of music, but for intricacy, they simply can't match the vast majority of classical or jazz music.

but imagine this: a three-piece where the guitarist sings and has an incredible voice that he uses to its full potential and has perfectly executed melodies. What's he going to do while he sings? Shred? Seriously. That's what power chords are for.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by stradivari310
but imagine this: a three-piece where the guitarist sings and has an incredible voice that he uses to its full potential and has perfectly executed melodies. What's he going to do while he sings? Shred? Seriously. That's what power chords are for.

Shawn Lane is a great example of amazing phrasing,amazing shred when he wanted, and used his voice to create melodies.
Cmstar90: i have too lisen to a song for hours just to figure out of one part it sound and how to move my fingers tso that it sounds that way
Cmstar90: when u seem to figure it out in seconds
Quote by SG Man Forever
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbr89uDTr9Y

I beileve this should prove you wrong nicely.

oh, yay, one song. sure, there are exceptions, and some bands have given their guitar very hard pieces, but multiply that by twenty, or forty other musicians for jazz and classical, respectively, and that's how those music styles are. simplicity isn't bad, it can be very entertaining. But for complication, modern music simply doesn't consistently compare with jazz or classical music.

Quote by cashewchaching
Okay, so now you've named two bands that take one of the instruments in their band and give them a complicated part. Now take forty people in classical, or twenty in jazz, give them each intricate parts, and complicated chords never seen in modern rock and stuff today. And that is the norm for those types of music. Now don't get me wrong, i freaking love rock, the blues, ska, and all those other simpler styles of music, but for intricacy, they simply can't match the vast majority of classical or jazz music.

absolutely.. classical and jazz are hands-down the most complicated forms of music.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by oscar7557
Shawn Lane is a great example of amazing phrasing,amazing shred when he wanted, and used his voice to create melodies.

there you go. That's how music should be: simple, but complicated when you want it to be. Think Mozart.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

I don't even think it's the power chords that have ruined bands like Green Day. I like the older Green Day stuff (ex. "Brain Stew") even though it basically just used power chords, because it had a more "raw" sound. I can't stand the newer studio-polished rock like
P!ATD. They are a perfect example of what rock should never become.
Co-Founder of the Puttsecks Group

Listen to my Lux Aeterna remix and other random songs! Comments?

Quote by ShelbyLynn
vicd08, your avatar is suckin up my life, and stealing my thoughts...

Quote by HanPlaysBass
I just want to say that your avatar is simply the best thing in creation.
my teacher discriminates against powerchords lol. he's like any retard could do smoke on the water with power chords you do it with barre chords.
Quote by cashewchaching
oh, yay, one song. sure, there are exceptions, and some bands have given their guitar very hard pieces, but multiply that by twenty, or forty other musicians for jazz and classical, respectively, and that's how those music styles are. simplicity isn't bad, it can be very entertaining. But for complication, modern music simply doesn't consistently compare with jazz or classical music.

You are nothing but an elitist piece of ****. I came name a band that has some of the most technical playing for each and every one of the classical and jazz artists you listen to. Your judging a whole ****ing genre by some mainstream bands? You know nothing. Please ****ing leave.
Quote by vicd08
I don't even think it's the power chords that have ruined bands like Green Day. I like the older Green Day stuff (ex. "Brain Stew") even though it basically just used power chords, because it had a more "raw" sound. I can't stand the newer studio-polished rock like
P!ATD. They are a perfect example of what rock should never become.

Have you actually listened to every P!ATD song? I'm not saying that they're the best band ever, but they innovate in different ways. I mean, can you name another band that actually has a similar sound (and not FOB, just because their voices are similar doesn't mean they have the same sound)?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Because power chords are taking all of our jobs, damn it.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by stradivari310
Have you actually listened to every P!ATD song? I'm not saying that they're the best band ever, but they innovate in different ways. I mean, can you name another band that actually has a similar sound (and not FOB, just because their voices are similar doesn't mean they have the same sound)?

Just because no band sounds like them doesn't mean they are innovative. Don't be so naïve. How are they innovative in the slightest bit?
Quote by cashewchaching

Yay! Isn't being an elitist fun! If you want more than one song, then I could spam this thread, but I'd rather not get banned. Saying "All music of _____ genre is simple, and therefore, sucks!" is just a proving factor of how dumb you are. There is lots of astoundingly complicated metal and rock.

Listen to Megadeth, for petes sake!
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by cashewchaching
irony...

Wow you're ****ing dumb.
Basses
Ibanez Gio GSR100 w/ SDs

Amps
Acoustic B200
Quote by stradivari310

Musically, P!ATD is not a bad band. They just are a mix of sounds too great to be classified bluntly as "rock." I just don't like all these perfect souding "rock" songs with nothing but power chords and that have that "studio-polished" sound, where the talent is not in the band but in the producers. Put P!ATD in a studio with NO additional help. I doubt they could play anything sounding good.
Co-Founder of the Puttsecks Group

Listen to my Lux Aeterna remix and other random songs! Comments?

Quote by ShelbyLynn
vicd08, your avatar is suckin up my life, and stealing my thoughts...

Quote by HanPlaysBass
I just want to say that your avatar is simply the best thing in creation.
Last edited by vicd08 at Nov 24, 2007,
Page 1 of 2