So, my question is regarding hammer on/pull offs...

When i try this, i barely get any volume out of them. Even when I try to do it fairly firmly, I'm still missing something. When the "pros" do it, it seems like they are barely putting any effort into it. I mean, that could come from the decades of practice. It looks like some people were saying to pull down a little when you hammer on for more sound.

--martin
Quote by toshiro umezewa
malmsteen uses a scalloped fretboard.

Also i bet hes stronger that u =.=, also hes what we call "experienced" doing that and does it good...
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
when you pull off you actually need to "pull off" not just lift your finger off the string. With a hammer on just give it a bit of force and it should work.

Cheers!

Go Leafs Go!!

Next season anyway
With such wide-open techniques as hammer-on/pull-offs, everyone has a method of doing it. With guitar there are certain things that you just have to keep trying over time, and one day it will just work for you, and I think this is one of them. Keep trying, and before you know it, it will be second nature. You just have to find your groove.
Quote by The Pickle Man
With such wide-open techniques as hammer-on/pull-offs, everyone has a method of doing it. With guitar there are certain things that you just have to keep trying over time, and one day it will just work for you, and I think this is one of them. Keep trying, and before you know it, it will be second nature. You just have to find your groove.

You're right, you just gotta do it until you get good.
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
Quote by Line6
Also i bet hes stronger that u =.=, also hes what we call "experienced" doing that and does it good...

He's not strong, just fat...
Eat more donuts...

...also, how long have you been playing?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Lol the scalloped fretboards or lack of donuts have nothing to do with it.

Check your technique. Are you somehow muting the note? Are you even practiced up enough to play them fluently? Try switching fingers?

Maybe even try adjusting the gain on your amp. You could be doing them right, just not have enugh gain for the notes to ring out clearly and properly.
ಥ_ಥ
Pull off with a sideways flick.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
practice clean. if the volume of hammered on, pulled off notes is near the volume of a picked note, then you know you're doing it right and it'll sound amazing with overdrive/distortion
When in doubt, play pentatonics
Finger strength helps; practice hammer-ons/pull-offs and your fingers will get stronger and so will your technique.
FrenchFungus has it. It takes a small flick for pull-offs. To get the technique down, practice it VERY slowly then work up. Focus on making as small a motion as possible while still making the string ring out. After awhile, you'll be a pull-off maniac!
Quote by anenokoji
I'm going to say that I'm probably way stronger than yngwie is.

In terms of hand strength, not bench press score.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by steven seagull
Eat more donuts...

...also, how long have you been playing?

Eat more donuts? Haha. Right.

How long have I been playing? 1 day. But, I've been playing the piano for ~20 years.
Quote by anenokoji
Eat more donuts? Haha. Right.

How long have I been playing? 1 day. But, I've been playing the piano for ~20 years.

There's your problem then

You'll have plenty of music knowledge, just not the technical and physical pre-requisites for guitar playing. In terms of those kind of lead techniques you're a good few months away from being in a position to even start on them.

Just concentrate on building finger strength for now with some simple chord work.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by arsonite
Maybe even try adjusting the gain on your amp. You could be doing them right, just not have enugh gain for the notes to ring out clearly and properly.

The problem is lack of finger strength and nothing else, just practice.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
UNLEASH THE FOCKING FURY!!!!!

That will help you be more like Yngwie.

On a serious note: Just keep practicing. H-O/P-O are not the easiest things to get down good, they take some time to find your own technique.

One way to get better at them faster is the finger gym exercise on justinguitar.com
eh, your fingers are weak right now. with a couple months of playing, theyll get use to playing and be stronger to where youll be playing real hard when you hammer and pull. that, or you have the vol. on 1
Quote by Joey Walker
Quote by anaoshak
look at all those knobs, he must have a mean tone.

Bottle caps buddy, they are bottle caps

Quote by Shib
The internet: Men are men, women are men and little girls are FBI agents.
Quote by arsonite
Lol the scalloped fretboards or lack of donuts have nothing to do with it.

Check your technique. Are you somehow muting the note? Are you even practiced up enough to play them fluently? Try switching fingers?

Shame on you for promoting bad technique! You should be able to do pull offs/hammer ons in the clean setting and gain setting.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by FrenchyFungus
Pull off with a sideways flick.

i usually do it with a downward motion, takes some time to get it right though