How many tremolo springs should I have for my guitar with 10's. What about for my other guitar with 11's? Also, how tight should I screw the springs in? Does it affect the tone a lot? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster Standard
Fender Blues Jr.
If you want the trem floating, 3 or 4 is ok; if you want the bridge flat against the body, 4 or 5 is good.
sorry to hijack the thread or anything but what are the advantages and disadvantages of having a floating bridge?
POST FINDER
Quote by mattreid222
sorry to hijack the thread or anything but what are the advantages and disadvantages of having a floating bridge?

With a floating trem, you can bend up, but with a fixed, you can only go down.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak
With a floating trem, you can bend up, but with a fixed, you can only go down.

With a Strat, a floating trem is one that can be used to bend down and a bit up. When it's fixed, you can't move it at all.
^Yup. Floating lets you go both ways, but fixed stays in tune better. Frankly, I stuff 5 springs and a block of wood in my strats, screw down the wammy bar so it's out of the way, and forget about it.
will it go out of tune when a string breaks though? because it relies on just the right force between the springs and the strings?
POST FINDER
i've got 5 springs but use the whammy. I've got 10's and that puppy refuses to go out of tune
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Quote by the.spine.surfs
^Yup. Floating lets you go both ways, but fixed stays in tune better. Frankly, I stuff 5 springs and a block of wood in my strats, screw down the wammy bar so it's out of the way, and forget about it.

If you block your trem, then what's the point in putting the bar on?

I set my bridge to float simply because I get a more musical vibrato sound when using the bar this way. Also, there are many tonal benefits to floating the bridge (more "zing" and color in the tone). If you're a dive bomb only kind of guy, then don't bother. If you have realized there's more to the tremolo system than dive bombs and squeals, then float away.
I never put it on, I just left it on. It's got the the hole for the bar set diagonally into the block, as opposed to perpendicular to the body. I would have to pull out most of the springs to get enough slack in the bar to lift the bridge high enough to unscrew the bar.

Not to mention I'd probably loose the bar if I took it off.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
I never put it on, I just left it on. It's got the the hole for the bar set diagonally into the block, as opposed to perpendicular to the body. I would have to pull out most of the springs to get enough slack in the bar to lift the bridge high enough to unscrew the bar.

Not to mention I'd probably loose the bar if I took it off.

Put it to use then!! Bend it up a little and use it to jab people in the front row