Hey,
I am going to split the bill of a nice overdrive pedal with a family friend for christmas.
I have enough cash to get something like a Fulltone OCD or a TS9 or around that price range. Anyways, I'm confused which to get. I know that SRV (my hero, and I love his tone) used a Tubescreamer, but i don't know much about the OCD. I mainly play blues (once again, SRV), and some classic rock, I have other pedals to handle modern rock. I just want to know what OD would satisfy my needs more. Other recommendations are welcome too, just keep it in that price range!

Thanks!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
If you mainly want SRV tone, get a Fulltone Fulldrive 2. It can be a straight up tubescreamer (with true bypass) if you want it to be, or it has a flat mids option for less "humped" tones, and a comp cut option for more amp like tones.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
Home-Built Germanium Fuzz Face
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
2 Fender Blues Juniors
Well, I want mids. I should of stated that.
I currently have an OD for controlling treble clipping (DOD YJM), and bass (Dano FAB OD, don't laugh). All I need is a good mid boosting overdrive.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Well, Tubescreamer it is then. TS are famed for their mid-hump characteristic. What SRV did was plug his Strat into the TS and his Blackface Fenders - the BF fenders have a slight natural mid-scoop, as do single coils. He put his amp to the point of breakup - where you play hard, it distorts, softly it's clean, and then set his TS to: Max level, no Gain, and adjusted the tone to taste, and kicked it in. If you can try it sometime (50w is damn loud...) then by all means go for it, it'll sound awesome.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
All right.
That sounds good.
Also, is the TS808 worth spending all that extra cash for, or could I just mod the TS9?
And how hard would that be?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
TS9s are fairly easy to mod. Well, it's just two resistors and a chip to be changed to make it 808 spec.... I'd go with a Maxon OD9 though personally: Cheap, and already TS808 spec.
Eh... but the friend doesn't want to go paying that much.
me neither. It'd probably be a good thing that I mod it too, so I can get into that kind of stuff.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Okay then.

Go with the TS9, it's an easy mod. What you wanna do is change R13 from 100k to 10k and R15 from 470 to 100. I'd get some practice soldering first for definite though, if I were you. The chip may also need replacing - you want a TI RC4558P. The original TS808 chip was the JRC4558D but the TI RC4558P is smoother and better than the original.

(NB - the resistor numbers may be different, but you can identify where they are by their colour coding and location).
I'm good at soldering. I've done several pickup swaps and stuff like that.
How much would it cost to mod a ts9 to ts808 specs? And can I get everything at radioshack or whatever?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^ Well like I said, it's just changing those two resistors, and then the chip if you want to. that's all there is to it!
I mean, how much would it cost (like, cash) for the resistors and chip?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator