I play alternative rock like Biffy Clyro, Sucioperro, Muse and RHCP.

Which of these amps would best achieve these tones?
It must have great cleans and good distortion.

Would they both be loud enough to gig with by the way?

Cheers
Last edited by soundcheck1 at Nov 25, 2007,
Classic 30. Just as good cleans, much better overdrive. The overdrive on the Hot Rod is rubbish.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
The fender hot rod is a great amp its got alot more crunch than most people say - its very loud though so bedroom level cranking is pretty hard.
Id say the fender hot rod but i havent had much experience with the classic you would need a fuzz or some kind of pedal for muse though
simon neil of biffy clyro uses a hot rod deville
Quote by .arkness:.
I did it in the church confession booth. i jizzed all over the mesh in an attempt to hit the priest.
Yeah I forgot to add the pedals I have are a USA Big Muff and a Digitech Bad Monkey. I'll be playing an Ibanez ARX 300 and a Fender Standard Strat through it.
Quote by rhysm
simon neil of biffy clyro uses a hot rod deville

I know, he also uses a Classic 30 halfstack though. So I just want to know what is the better amp overall and if both 30 and 40 watt tube amps are giggable?
peavey classic is a very mid driven amp, so its great for blues or anything with fuzz. Not got alot of experience with the hot rod but i think its kinda more high end sound.
Classic.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by soundcheck1
I know, he also uses a Classic 30 halfstack though. So I just want to know what is the better amp overall and if both 30 and 40 watt tube amps are giggable?
30w valve is incredibly giggable. Infact it's the optimum volume IMO.

Anyway, the HRD dist, I still maintain, is rubbish compared to the Classic 30. It's unclear and fuzzy. The Classic 30 though, gets a brilliant Led Zep, Thin Lizzy and t. Rex vibe with equally good cleans.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I just bought the hot rod deluxe a few days ago and it is very loud it has a nice drive channel but i would run it with a decent distortion pedal i dont feel it has enough gain but still very nice
Quote by MrCarrot
Classic 30. Just as good cleans, much better overdrive. The overdrive on the Hot Rod is rubbish.

+1, though i'd say the cleans on the HRD are marginally better. But not enough better to justify totally sacrificing your overdrive, assuming you need overdrive.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?