Page 1 of 2
Its nothing official but we seem to be lacking one...

So. Van Halen.

They are one of my all time favourite bands, and although I swing towards the Hagar era of their work, I don't have that much of a preference.

I know a lot of people hate Hagar, or even maybe Roth, but I'm not biased when it comes to any of the singers they've had.

I have to say though..."modern" Halen isn't up to par with their older performances (I'm talking especially about the 04 and 07 tours).

What do you guys think of them?
Now and Zen.
Eddie is a great guitarist, don`t like the rest of the band as much as Eddie thought.But there all good.
My cancer spot is much bigger than yours

Quote by HumBucker666
I get carrot skinned regularly by a electrified carrot skinning device

Quote by GrEgUms1991
I have a small penis if that counts?

^ some pretty awesome sh!t ( click )

Europeans Unite!
Worst band ever.
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Get, Get, Get, Get, Get Out And Push.
Quote by johnny_tapia

Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Quote by Derigiberble

lulz. Surely you could think of a worse band though?
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
The most influential guitarist EVER.

EVER.

He did more for guitar-playing, and the advancement of it, than anyone ever.
Quote by johnny_tapia
lulz. Surely you could think of a worse band though?

lulz check my avatar biatch.

Quote by WFMedia

EVER.

This was really funny.
Quote by CornLord

Quote by Derigiberble
lulz check my avatar biatch.

This was really funny.

Phail on my part..................

Quote by atomkat
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Quote by WFMedia

EVER.

What about the person who invented the guitar? Or if you want to be that pedantic, the person who first ever played any sort of music? Surely they were more important?

I have always thought that DLR had much more charisma than Hagar...
Originally posted by becbo
i've got a question.. who's lemmy?

Cvnt.
Quote by imback_inblack
What about the person who invented the guitar? Or if you want to be that pedantic, the person who first ever played any sort of music? Surely they were more important?

I have always thought that DLR had much more charisma than Hagar...

How could you ever come up with a justification for praising the man who invented the guitar? It's a useless contraption... And for that matter, who is Hagar? You talkin' bout that comic strip viking guy? DLR is WAY better than him!
I prefer Sammy...he just seems a lot more "lets have some fun, we're here for everyone"

Whereas Dave seems like "I'd take my pants off if you didn't have that restraining order" kinda guy.

They stuck with Hagar for about 10 or more years...must've done something right.

I think I just prefer their later sounds - songs like Poundcake and Cabo Wabo sound better to me than some of their older DLR stuff.

Still, their debut is immense....
Now and Zen.
I generally prefer the DLR era, but one of my favourite songs by VH is "Black and Blue" (Sammy Hagar era)
Quote by atomkat
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Quote by lounge act
I'm painting my room with Eddie's red, white, and black pattern on his guitar. So far, we have the red and white, but the black stripes will arrive soon. It will surely be kick-ass.

Pics when its done
Quote by atomkat
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Quote by johnny_tapia
I generally prefer the DLR era, but one of my favourite songs by VH is "Black and Blue" (Sammy Hagar era)

OU812 is a brilliant album.

What do people think of their comeback(s)?

I've always liked Micheal Anthony, but it seems like hes out having fun with Sammy, carrying on doing what he does best. Apparently Wolfgang isn't that bad, and filled the spot well.

Took the piss that they airbrushed Anthony out of some of those photos though!
Seems like since post-Sammy, Micheal hasn't been too accepted into the band. He only played bass on 3 songs on Van Halen III, and didn't play anything on their 3 new songs in 2004.
Additionally, he had to reduce his royalties to be able to tour with them in 04 as well.

Seems kind of...unnecessary.
Now and Zen.
Quote by Badmotorfever
OU812 is a brilliant album.

Yes it is. I got the cd and tab book off of my guitar teacher. For free
Quote by atomkat
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Roth was a better front man, but Hagar is more talented.... there enough said.
Sitting on the edge of nowhere.
Watch Out or Ill Steal Your Girlfriend... or Wife.
Roll Tide
Quote by C4M3R0N
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/5937559/the_100_greatest_guitarists_of_all_time/

Thoughts on EVH's placement on the list? I think it may be the worst list of all time. Joan Jett ahead of Angus Young? Kurt Cobain in the top 15?

That list is a load of ****e
Quote by atomkat
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Rolling Stone is about about as legit as another Hagar , Roth tour. haha. Its not like 9 out of 10 users on ultimate-guitar dont read Guitar World instead of Rolling Stone.
Van halen is one of my favorite bands and there is no doubt that Eddie is one of the most influential guitarists of the last thirty years. However, it is always a buzzkill when one of your "heros" turns out to be a complete drunken asshole.
Quote by WFMedia

EVER.

Yeah, he invented tapping and sweep picking, at Genesis concert in early 70's.
"That was it, a nick. Now happily paid for. [...] It was decided that it was so far away in time and influence that...well, you only get caught when you're successful. That's the game". Robert Plant
Quote by Derigiberble
Worst band ever.

I can understand that Van Halen might not be your particular cup of tea but...worst band ever? Come on. That seems just a little extreme.

Surely there have been worse bands. Journey. Styx. Gary Lewis and the Playboys. The Bay City Rollers. The Del Vikings. These bands are all better than Van Halen?

^He was kidding, look at his avatar...
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
Dude, I know what you mean. Van Halen is one of the best bands ever next to Led Zeppelin, The Who, and Aerosmith. Rock On!

eVAN HALEN
Dude Van Halen is awesome

How dare you insult Journey and Styx, to hell with you.

Anyway im seeing them in January!!
Quote by powerhead
Mentallica, i think you just made my drive shank crank

Quote by beadhangingOne

You sir, are a true hero.

Quote by silversoulcage
Dude, seriously, you're an ass hole. That place where **** comes out, yea that's you man.
VH baby! That new book of theirs looks killer.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by C4M3R0N
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/5937559/the_100_greatest_guitarists_of_all_time/

Thoughts on EVH's placement on the list? I think it may be the worst list of all time. Joan Jett ahead of Angus Young? Kurt Cobain in the top 15?

Is that list according to the magazine themselves, or did the readers write in? It's a complete joke that list.

Where's Vai, Satriani, Gilbert...? They must be in the Top 100! EVH number 70?

Jack White And Johnny Ramone? It must surely be a piss take?
A Beginner's Guide To Home Recording Guitar
Visit Me At : http//www.uncleslinky.co.uk
Why the **** is little wolfgang playing with them? I understand he's eddie's son, he's good, and it must be awesome for him. Don't you think that fans deserve Michael Anthony and the real Van Halen? If they took back Roth, then Anthony should be there too!
P.S. Hagar is not real VAN HALEN!
^Wow, an 08'er. Welcome

Well, Eddie and Anthony are obviously not on good terms. Possibly even worse off than Roth and Eddie were.
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
ya VH is my favorite band of all time, im goin to see them at the IZOD on March 13, but i hav one question, why does everyone hate Gary Cherone so much? i like him granted not as much as Sammy of David, but still he really wasnt bad.
Gear:
Epiphone Viola Bass
Gibson SG Standard
Fender Strat
Fender Acoustic
Line 6 Spider 2 150 watt
Line 6 POD Xt Live
Ibanez Ts-9 Tubescreamer
Quote by Shaggy92
Roth was a better front man, but Hagar is more talented.... there enough said.

ya i agree i loved roths solo career but i enjoyed sammys music better with VH
Gear:
Epiphone Viola Bass
Gibson SG Standard
Fender Strat
Fender Acoustic
Line 6 Spider 2 150 watt
Line 6 POD Xt Live
Ibanez Ts-9 Tubescreamer
Quote by ClarkeInTheDark
Why the **** is little wolfgang playing with them? I understand he's eddie's son, he's good, and it must be awesome for him. Don't you think that fans deserve Michael Anthony and the real Van Halen? If they took back Roth, then Anthony should be there too!
P.S. Hagar is not real VAN HALEN!

Mike Anthony isny with them because he parted VH with sammy, and sammy is just as real for VH as david is deal with it
Gear:
Epiphone Viola Bass
Gibson SG Standard
Fender Strat
Fender Acoustic
Line 6 Spider 2 150 watt
Line 6 POD Xt Live
Ibanez Ts-9 Tubescreamer
Hey does anyone know how eddie van halen makes that siren type noise with his guitar? i always hear it during eruption when its live.
Page 1 of 2