I know people are probably sick of this same thread popping up but i need some advice. CHRISTMAS IS COMING!!! I'm looking into a new amp but have no clue what would suit my playing for me to try out so here you go, i play stuff such as :
RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS
METALLICA
AVENGED SEVENFOLD
JIMI HENDRIX
MUSE
ALICE IN CHAINS
GUNS N ROSES
MACHINE HEAD
RADIOHEAD
RATM
RISE AGAINST
SOUNDGARDEN
LINKIN PARK
PUNK AND HARDCORE BANDS YOU MIGHT NOT KNOW.

So basically i need something that can provide good cleans ie RHCP/Radiohead, good crunch ie Metallica/A7X/Machine Head, and get good lead and rhythm tones from ie Jimi/GnR/Metallica/Alice in Chains

Thanks for any suggestions

EDIT: Forgot to say i'm looking at spending £250 - £350, thanks
look into line6 and vox amps
My stuff:
ESP LTD KH 202 w/ emg 81's
PEAVEY 5150 II Head
4x12 MESA BOOGIE RECTIFIER CAB

A recent study shows that 92% of all teens have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music.
Asking for amp suggestions is what GG&A is for. Anyways, are you looking to go solid state or tube? Because if you increased your budget by a little you could get yourself a nice smaller tube combo.
Agile AL-3000 Cherry Sunburst
Fender American Strat HSS
1981 Yamaha FG-335II
Crate V1512 (USA made)
Fender Frontman 15R
Dunlop Crybaby Slash Wah
MXR EVH Phase 90
Ibanez TS9 w/ Keeley Baked Mod
Boss SD-1
Boss DD-3
Crate Palominos are good amps. But u would definately need an overdrive pedal. to get Machine Head, idk if any amp in that range could pull it off alone. Maybe an Epi blues deluxe, altho idk about price in Pounds. but w/e u get, i guarantee u u will need some sort of overdrive pedal.
no. go for tubes. maybe a b-52 at60 or randall rg50gt.

what is your fund?
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Ive never tried a tube amp but have heard they are a lot better than a SS, what would be the best tube combo or tube amp i could get within my budget, or at least close in case i have more money?
damn, i hadnt read the budget. well, get a palomino 5 or crate v5. but you need a distortion pedal (those amps are made for clean and mellow od, not head killing dist), like a metal zone.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Nov 25, 2007,
Quote by qotsa1998
Crate Palominos are good amps. But u would definately need an overdrive pedal. to get Machine Head, idk if any amp in that range could pull it off alone. Maybe an Epi blues deluxe, altho idk about price in Pounds. but w/e u get, i guarantee u u will need some sort of overdrive pedal.

I agree, looking at his list of bands, an overdrive pedal is a must. No matter what amp you get, I guarantee you'll probably need an OD.
1981 Yamaha FG-335II
Crate V1512 (USA made)
Fender Frontman 15R
Dunlop Crybaby Slash Wah
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss SD-1
Boss DD-3
Quote by Bpags868
I agree, looking at his list of bands, an overdrive pedal is a must. No matter what amp you get, I guarantee you'll probably need an OD.

So i should look at amps with good cleans and leave the OD and distortion to pedals?
^ disagree.

problem is, your budget. For example, a randall rg50tc would be good for your higher gain stuff, and has decent cleans, but its mid-gain crunch isn't amazing. Similarly, a laney vc30 has nice cleans and very nice mid-gain, but you'll struggle to get high gain out of it.

I guess, which do you need more? possibly that randall + an overdrive pedal to boost its crunch channel might be a decent idea.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
OD Pedal and Crate Palomino.
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

Quote by mydogpoops
OD Pedal and Crate Palomino.

Exactly what I'm getting for Christmas. Palomino V16 and a Boss SD-1. I think it'll work great.

Quote by RHCP-NIRVANA
So i should look at amps with good cleans and leave the OD and distortion to pedals?

Well, yes and no. You should find an amp with great cleans that you like, but you don't want your drive channel to be complete crap. Find an amp with a drive channel that you like somewhat, and then use the OD to give your amp that extra boost you need for the heavier stuff.
1981 Yamaha FG-335II
Crate V1512 (USA made)
Fender Frontman 15R
Dunlop Crybaby Slash Wah
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss SD-1
Boss DD-3
Last edited by Bpags868 at Nov 25, 2007,
I will try the palmomino but it seems more of a bluesyish amp for my taste but still i may like its sound! Any decent Vox or marshall tubes i could get?