'allo, ive been having tinnitus and bad hearing since i were born.
I wonder if there's anybody else on UG that have the same problems and struggles that i have, and on the same time i'd like to inform what it is to have hearing aids almost 24/7.i also have tinnitus, a damage that make your ears beep like I-don't-know-what.
You can get tinnitus and damaged hearing by listening to (or playing) music too loud or be in areas with lots of noise.
Noice is per definition when the soundwaves comes too irregularly (sp?) and make the membrane that "pushes" the sound in to the inner ear (don't know the english term of it, i'm finnish) go mad.
when the mebrane goes mad the rest of your ear also goes mad, and says "hey, turn down that stereo, eh! "

What's happening is, that inside your ear there is a part called the shell (i knew that at least) that contains minimalistic(ish) tiny "straws" that "absorbs" the sound and pass it to the brain (I don't know exactly how they absorb it, but lets say they suck the sound in, just for simplicitys sake). if there's too much sound these straws can't suck it all and in, and thereby, drown in the sound. And die, sooner or later.
approx. 15-20% of my straws are dead - and that until somebody invents a medicine that'll make'em alive again.
"high" volume is defined as >115 db (Decibels, sound mesure). any more than 115 db is dangerous for your ears. if you have to be in areas with 115 db's or more in more than ten minutes a day, be sure you got some kind of ear protection (earplugs, muffs etc.)
if you're enjoying your music and suddenly feel that the volume has been turned down, although you're sure nobody has touched the knob, turn off the music immediately (sp?) and do something that doesn't involve much sound (have a sandwich, a walk, etc, etc). the reason to that is that when the sound appears to be lowered, the straws mentioned earlier is getting tired and it's very impportant to let them rest when they do so.

Thanks to that, i must use hearing aids frankly all the time i'm awake, which sometimes can be a real nightmare. if somebody accidentally, say, kick s football onto your head (happened to once) the part in your ear ( pic: my hearing aid ) can make a scratch, or worse; break the membrane. which hurt like hell. so you're very vulnerable (sp?) to accidents in head-hight.
and those aids are quite fragile (not to say expensive, nearly 500€ for my), now like one week ago i sat in the corridor int school and played guitar with my friends, and suddenly some freako
throws a garbage can on my head. Great. a huge crack in the hearing aid
( pic again : my hearing aid )
as you can see a crack quite a problem, plus it itches, and this guy even broke the amplifier in it too, so now, i'll be hearing like an ass for a month,while they are repairing it in Denmark.
without my aids, i hear frankly nothing, and I don't hear like a normal person with them either. I need to see the lips of the person i'm talking to, or I have to be Very (Very) focused to hear what they say.

well, with this written i hope UG learns how to take care of your hearing and avoiding getting empaired for the rest of their lives.
Feel free to ask anything you wonder and i'll gladly try to answer it.
now, off to bed for me

Thanks for reading // Linus
You like it
Yeah this is real stuff, that is why I always wear earplugs at the shows I go to. (metal, which is usually the loudest). Also might want to invest in earplugs if you are trying to crank tube amps like I do sometimes. Go ahead and buy some if you care for your hearing.
very important for us to know the risks of not hearing.

thats why steve vai uses ear protectors. i remember once reading somewhere that its more important to protect your ears than your dick.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Sorry to hear about your AIDS man
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

I've always tried to be careful with music. Unfortunately, metal tends to be loud, so I've taken to wearing earplugs at concerts and practice. What I've found is that a good pair of custom fitted earplugs actually makes a concert sound more clear, and your ears aren't ringing the next morning. Heed this advice folks; it may seem kinda lame now, but you'll thank yourself when you're the only one in the old folks home that can hear their grandkids talking.
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
i have tinnitus, but my hearing is pretty good, which is wierd. but i know i have some kind of inner ear problem because my balance sometimes goes wacky for days and everything feels tilted one way. I do protect my ears alot when playing music with my band, because i know going deaf isnt worth not wearing earplugs.

i gotta say it sucks for you to have to wear hearing aids, and im glad i dont have to, but i could end up that way if im not careful, so i am.
Member #19 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club."

Quote by chaoticmayhem
Toads are cool; it's those frog bastards that I don't like.

Whats your philosophy on life?
its so good to be back!
Quote by The*Music*Man
i have tinnitus, but my hearing is pretty good, which is wierd. but i know i have some kind of inner ear problem because my balance sometimes goes wacky for days and everything feels tilted one way. I do protect my ears alot when playing music with my band, because i know going deaf isnt worth not wearing earplugs.

i gotta say it sucks for you to have to wear hearing aids, and im glad i dont have to, but i could end up that way if im not careful, so i am.

Tinnitus and bad hearing doesn't necessarily have to go hand-in-hand.
it isn't really defined what's causes tinnitus, but scientists belive it's somewhere on the wire between the ear and brain
You like it
I don't go to many gigs. Been to 2 so far, and I don't play guitar too loudly either, so I don't think I have to worry about it as much as some of the other people on UG.
ive had a pain in my ears and ive solved it. Just put my head over a bowl of steaming water with olbas oil in, clears your sinuses- the pipes ect that connect your ears to your mouth nd stuff.

wel it works...
I've had tinnitus for a few years now, which I believe was caused by lack of ear protection during a few band practices... All it takes is one loud situation and you are stuck with this constant ringing in your ears. I've been to an ENT since and my hearing is great he says. It really gets me down sometimes though. I'm waiting for a cure, but until then I will be happy to learn ways to "tune it out" through cognitive therapy, meditation, however it may happen.
whe you said "high" volume is defined as >115 db, i dont know how loud that is...
sup?
There is one way to dampen the tinnitus. It won't cure it, but it'll dampen the worst sounds. I don't have it though, so this has only been told to me...

You go to the doctor, who gives you a sound accordingly to how 'loud' your tinnitus is, and you listen to that alot. After a while your brain will dampen the original tinnitus sound, and you can get a new sound from the doctor.

I'm not sure about this though, so don't trust me too much!
And I'm trying to get better at using earplugs, but sometimes I just can't remember them or I can't use them because they mess up the sound and make me turn up some instruments far too much...
I'm completely deaf in my right ear; not because of some bad experience, just born like it.

It definitely has it's ups and down's, but overall I like it.
MAN CITY

De Montfort Uni