I'm about to buy a slide, but I was interested can I play it on ordinary acoustic guitar, because I dont have a resonator?
"The end result - the music - is all that counts"
You sure could.
Quote by yawn
My work here is done.

Destroying the lives of innocent people, one post at a time.

Member of the 'Muse > any other band' club
yup
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
I had a crack at learning slide (on my acoustic) it was hard and i never really tried that much.
But some of my favourite guitarests use slides on acoustic.
try open g tunining...slide on your pinky and let it flow.......relax and don't press down too hard...let it float on the strings
i find that it's easier to teach people slide using their middle finger first. You have better control. It's good to have it on your pinky later to combine with normal playing, but who's gonna do that right off the bat?
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
^I did. It was clumsy at first, but I got used to it after a short enough time.
Yeah mate. They sound hot. Look for some early John Butler stuff like Pickapart.

Also buy a glass slide for acoustic. They have a much warmer tone.
I play guitar. So I joined a club about it.

Quote by copet
Why has Kirk Hammett not been in G3? Figure Joe has invited him but he is too busy with Metallica?

Almost all of the best blues slide guitar players use either just a regular electric, sometimes with a raised action, or just a regular acoustic guitar.