After spending some time with the search bar, I have some ideas, but didn't quite get the exact answer. I'll summarize my situation as concisely as possible:

I have an almost vintage Carvin stereo bass head. It gets 300W per side at 4ohms, and 450W per side at 2ohms. Eventually, I'll run it in 2 ohms, with a 410 and a 212 for the treble, and a 115 and a 118 for the bass. That's the whole damn spectrum.

However, it'll be a while (maybe never) until I get 4 cabs. I'll look into 2 cabs within coming months. Basically, the question is, if I'm just buying 2 cabs, what cabs should I get?

I'm getting an 18 as the woofer (unless I find a $150 115). Now, I'm really thinking about getting a 212 for my treble cab (and a 410 later). I'm considering purchasing an Eden Nemesis 212 from a local shop. I've heard about Avatar, but I don't know how much cheaper it'll be once I get it across the border.

Basically, I'm asking, should I get a 410 or a 212 (or, why should I get a 410 INSTEAD of a 212)? Which ones should I look into?

I played a couple of gigs with a 212, and it sounded just great. Ditto for the 610 I played through a couple of times. However, I'm in a heavy trio, and I need to take up as much sonic space as I can - and I feel the 212 will provide me with the guitar-like-blanket with my distortion on when he's soloing.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Nov 25, 2007,
12s are very good for midrange, boosting your way through mix, which you know anyway.

10s are good for the highs. However, I play damn heavy music, and I'll looking at a 410 with an 118 or 115 later. It all depoends on what you want accentuating, your mid-high mids, or your high mids-highs
Yeah. Once I get all of the cabs, I'll "have it all", but for right now I'm wondering what I need more - high-mids mids, or high-mids highs. I'm still leaning towards the 212. When I played those gigs, they sounded surprisingly similar presence-wise, but then again, that was for from be A/Bing them. Maybe a visit to the shop over the break is in order.

However, doing some useless math calculations, the 212 is moving slightly less air than the 118. However, the 410 is moving considerably more air than a 118. I think the 212 would be a bit better balance, no?

EDIT: I found out that I can get Avatars in Canada, and with shipping, they cost a few dollars more than the Nemesis. What would be a better buy? The Nemesis, or the Avatar?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Nov 25, 2007,
personally, i would get a 4x10 first, along with the 1x18(or 1x15). the 4x10 will have a horn and i believe will get more of a broad spectrum of sound. then add the 2x12.
a 4x10 atop a 1x15 on one side, and a 2x12 atop a 1x18, on the other. can you say, Wall-O-Sound!! monsters of rock!
Yeah, I'll have to do some testing. However, I've read all over the place that the 212's sound much louder than 410's (or it's perceivably louder) and both cabs come with horns at specially crossed-over points, so I'll have to check it out.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
12's probably are louder, but i'm thinkin' 10's and 15's, cover more bass tone frequencies. a 12" has always been associated with guitar amps. i'm sure with the proper crossover a 12" could do bass, just fine. but i'm old school, lol. for bass, the only 2x?, is going to be 15's or 18's. as for 10's, for best results, use in multiples of 4.
Sounds like the question I was asking before and you(fitz) were the only person who seemed to give any positives about the 2x12s(avatar). I'll be ordering mine tommorrow and probably going with the 4x10s for now. However, id still like to eventually try out a 2x12 cab.

Since I'm in such a similar situation i'm going to refrain from giving much advice, except id stay away from the 18 until you get the 15(s) to accompany. I'd imagine it'd be an akward difference in frequency from hearing the 10s or 12s to almost only feeling the 18.
Well, I'd be running it in stereo - the crossover point at around 150Hz. The 18 will only play frequencies under 150Hz, while the 212 or 410 would only play frequencies above 150Hz. As I get more, a 15 and an 18 would be playing below 150, and a 212 and a 410 would be playing above.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Jeeze fitz, you're gonna need a personal army of roadies when your rig is complete.

I agree with dmntr about getting the 15 first, even though you seem pretty set. I'd get the 15 and 10s first to kinda make up for those missing twelves you want ( setting the x-over a little higher and letting the 15 hit above 150hz, something the 18 isn't going to do well), I understand having to fill extra sonic space in a three piece, but that extra space is really where the twelves are, not below everything else with the 18. I suggest this approach because, personally I'd need the 10s from the start to really keep my sparkle tight and controlled, if you don't feel the same, or find some 12s that can properly handle what your presence knob dishes out, disregard this entirely.

edit* I realized some of what I typed actually said the opposite of what I meant
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Nov 26, 2007,