Okay, I am totally baffled by this, Im looking at some tabs, and I see Chords that tell you to play like 4-5 chords at a time, and when listening to that song, it sounds like the guitarist is only playing one note, for example

|-3--3--3--3-|-3--3--3--3-|-3--3--3--3-|-1--1--1--1-|-3--3--3--3-|
|-3--3--3--3-|-3--3--3--3-|-3--3--3--3-|-3--3--3--3-|-3--3--3--3-|
|-3--3--3--3-|-3--3--3--3-|-3--3--3--3-|-2--2--2--2-|-3--3--3--3-|
|-5--5--5--5-|-5--5--5--5-|-5--5--5--5-|-3--3--3--3-|-1--1--1--1-|
|--------------|---------------|--------------|--------------|---------------|
|--------------|---------------|--------------|--------------|---------------|

(Roxanne, Police)

It sounds like when im listening to this song that the guitarist is playing one note, and I have absolutely no clue how to play those notes so fast, are you supposed to use multiple fingers to hit the notes at once (I play with my thumb, can't stand using picks.) or are you supposed to "sweep" the strings?? sweep as in starting at the top of the strings and playing down (or up)

Some help on how to do these would be appreciated.
It's a chord, so you have to play all the strings pretty much at once, either with a swift pick stroke or with multiple fingers all at once...i doubt it's do-able with just your thumb.

The intro to Roxanne is definitely chords, a chord by definition is multiple notes played simultaneously.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Notes that are on top of each other in a tab are played at the same time. So for the first chord in Roxanne, you would play the 3rd frets on the high E, B, and G, and the 5th fret on the D. And strum the chord so all the strings you are using sound at once.
Agile AL-3000 Cherry Sunburst
Fender American Strat HSS
1981 Yamaha FG-335II
Crate V1512 (USA made)
Fender Frontman 15R
Dunlop Crybaby Slash Wah
MXR EVH Phase 90
Ibanez TS9 w/ Keeley Baked Mod
Boss SD-1
Boss DD-3
Thanks for the reply, I guess the guys just playing the notes really fast or in unison or something
You should seriously consider learning to use a pick, certain techniques are a lot easier and they certainly help with chords. I'm also surprised that you've never encountered chords before...they're an integral component of pretty much every song ever written and an essential skill for any player.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If you're not using a pick, you'll at least have to learn to use all your right-hand fingers (except your pinky, no one uses that anyways). You can either strike all the strings with your index finger's nail, or pluck all strings at the same time with your thumb, index, middle and ring finger. And as said, you really should try forcing yourself into learning to use the pick - it opens up a whole new world.
I'm a communist. Really.