I'm doing a speech highlighting some of the "bad things" the U.S military/CIA has been used for, like say, setting up dictatorships, assassinations etc... (nothing against the soldiers, this is a bash against the politicians)...

Any reccommendations?
From the top of my head: Installing Pinochet in Chile (Tens of Thousands killed), The Shah of Iran in Iran (at the time he had the worst Human Rights record in the world), and Suharto in Indonesia (500,000-1,000,000 killed); Operation MK Ultra; funding The Angolan Civil War (an estimated 500,000 killed).

You're looking at a 7 figure death toll there.
Last edited by burningcowsrule at Nov 25, 2007,
the cia used to run the country. look at the bay of pigs invasion

think outside the box brah
Dude Blackwater. I'm not sure if that is what you are looking for but we hire them and they do crazy ****.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Fair warning though, anything on that topic will be heavily biased. That said I can't name nay books, but going looking on Wiki for some of the things mentioned and then go to sources. IT should reference at leats one book on the topic for most of those.
Quote by WNxScythe
I'm doing a speech highlighting some of the "bad things" the U.S military/CIA has been used for, like say, setting up dictatorships, assassinations etc... (nothing against the soldiers, this is a bash against the politicians)...

Any reccommendations?
Oh god.

Quote by burningcowsrule
From the top of my head: Pinochet, The Shah of Iran, Operation MK Ultra, General Suharto and The Angolan Civil War.

You're looking at a 7 figure death toll there.
Pre'y much.

Look, pretty much however bad you think American history is, whatever you think of it, whatever atrocities you have in mind - it's worse. Apparently, the "popular estimate" of Vietnamese deaths in Vietnam are in the tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands - the actual number is minimum 2 million, it's probably closer to 4 million, and maybe as high as 6 million, depending on your sources and definitions, and whether or not you decide to include actions in Cambodia and surrounding.

Add this to the aforementioned "7 figure" and it's more than 10 million easy.

Obviously it's less direct than Nazi atrocities, but you are getting up on having the worst foreign record since Nazi Germany - and it's ongoing. Iraq is another difficult one to determine casualties for, and you have to distinguish between civilians killed by the military, and total excess deaths - however, in both cases America is responsible (if you accept the legal opinion of Robert Jackson, an American judge at the Nuremberg tribunals), though in different ways and to different degrees.

A good number of countries in Latin America and Africa have atrocious histories of American involvement, through all sorts of mechanisms - Haiti, Cuba, Nicaragua, Cuba, Venezuela, Cuba, Brazil, etc.

Also, keep in mind the effect of American military aid - Indonesia, as mentioned (Suharto), but Turkey's a huge one, and Israel, and I have a suspicion Ethiopia but I'm not too sure about that, and all kinds of other countries.

Apartheid South Africa, formally and informally.

Hell, Nazi Germany informally for awhile, almost until Japan bombed that now-famous military base on a colony (so really, it's a lot like bombing Guantánamo).

... and none of that even begins to mention its treatment of its domestic population, indigenous, black, and sometimes even white.

Really, if I was an American, I'd just give up trying to fix the country, trying to save its many, many very important artistic and intellectual contributions to the world, just go somewhere else and start over. Hell, I'm tempted to do the same with Canada, and Canada doesn't have an 8 figure death toll so directly on its hands.
Quote by Meths
Really, it's quite gutting that we'll all be dead by the time the earth is entirely underwater because I really want to stick your head underwater while standing on Everest and say "if sea levels aren't rising, HOW COME YOU'RE DYING?!"
Quote by WNxScythe
Thanks but I need BOOK TITLES!
I see what you're looking for and the truth is it doesn't exist. There are massive, steaming, writhing piles of sh/t you could dig up on the last couple centuries or so of American foreign policy, or even postwar, but it's going to take work, especially if you want to really well source things. If you're looking to be honest, and not deny all sorts of genocide, then you're going to have to get nipple-deep in books and old newspapers and things. Start with some Chomsky, Howard Zinn, those sorts of people.

Otherwise you're either going to be poorly-sourced or again, you're going to be denying all sorts of large-scale destructions of populations.
Quote by Meths
Really, it's quite gutting that we'll all be dead by the time the earth is entirely underwater because I really want to stick your head underwater while standing on Everest and say "if sea levels aren't rising, HOW COME YOU'RE DYING?!"
A Rip in Heaven is a book I read recently. It's more on the cops being complete assholes and goes through the interviews of the detectives of a rape/murder case. It's really interesting, but it's mostly about the police and how they go about investigations being extremely violent to the victims of the case. It's really horrible and a quick read. But it doesn't really deal with the CIA or government--moreso just media and police.
███████████████
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams.
████████████
Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee.....Tens of thousands of friendly Indians were massacred for no reason whatsoever.....Some even were approaching with a white and American flag to make peace and were shot down and mutilated...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls