Hey, I have a question about some technique. I'm not asking for any tabs, I'm asking for advice or just different input.

What I'm asking is, when theres a solo of 3 or more notes on a string going up a scale, do you hammer on for them or pick each note out? Again, I'm not looking exactly for a right answer, but just how you play or or what way is easier for you.
I named the thread "Rhoads solos" because the examples I'm gonna use are Randy Rhoads songs, but this question can apply to any song that has the similar technique.

For my 1st example, I'm going to use a run from the Mr Crowley solo:

|------------------------------------------------------5-6-8-6-5------5----------------5---------------I
|----------------------------------------------5-6-8----------------8-----8-6p5-6p5----8--8--6-5--I
|----------------------------2-3-5--3-5-7--------------------------------------------------------------I
|-------------------2-3-5--------------------------------------------------------------------------------I
|-----------1-3-5----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I
|---1-3-5------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I

My 2nd example is a run from the Believer solo:

|-------------------------------------------------------------7-8-10p8p7-8p7-----7------|
|---------------------------------------------------7-8-10-----------------------10---10--|
|----------------------------------4-5-7--5-7-9--------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------4-5-7-------------------------------------------------------------|
|---------2-3-5--3-5-7---------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-2-3-5--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

My question is, If you were playing this, would you pick out each individual note or would you hammer on the notes while going up the strings/fretboard? I'm learning both of these solos, and I'm trying to figure out whats easier, and what sounds more accurate.

When I play them, I pick out each individual note (except the pull-offs), and I can do it to the same speed as it is in the song, but I just dont think it sounds asaccurate to the song as it should. When he plays the solos, it sounds like it flows perfectly up the fretboard, and I'm wondering if that comes from being used to picking that fast, or if it comes from hammering on the frets?
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know what you meant
I Wanna know,
in a situation like that I'll almost always hammer them on, I feel it gives the solo a more fluid feel to it. In the case I want to be very agressive solo I'll palm mute the lower strings and pick everything.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
he picks them all. i do it however is most convinient at the time, due to hand positioning and other variables.

Left hand man of the fargoth fanclub! PM lamafunguy to join.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
lets watch this thread die like i should have on page 1
Quote by mohawkkidJohn
he picks them all. i do it however is most convinient at the time, due to hand positioning and other variables.

He really picks them all? I thought for sure that he would hammer on, if he picks them all it's amazing the way he can make it sound so smooth and not broken up. Dont get me wrong, I'm not putting him down in any way, he's definitly one of my favorite guitarists, but the way he makes it sound i definitly wouldve thought he'd hammer on through them.

Anyway, what you're saying is it doesnt really matter if you hammer on or pick through them? I know that there will obviously be some different in sound, but i wasnt sure if the flowing sound came from directly hammering on or if you could get the same sound from just being able to pick really fast and clearly.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know,
Rhoads would have played them legato for sure, I would do the same but purely because my 3 note-per-string picking is not up to standard.

If you're looking for some sort of indicator of what you should learn then you should you should learn to do both; you're technique should be developed to the point to which legato vs. picked becomes nothing more than a tonal choice.

For the record: I have never heard anyone get the same sort of legato sound by picking, they're just too different.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Rhoads would have played them legato for sure, I would do the same but purely because my 3 note-per-string picking is not up to standard.

If you're looking for some sort of indicator of what you should learn then you should you should learn to do both; you're technique should be developed to the point to which legato vs. picked becomes nothing more than a tonal choice.

For the record: I have never heard anyone get the same sort of legato sound by picking, they're just too different.

well i have a dvd that has an interview with him and he describes his soloing techniques and he says and shows that he picks them all particularly in those solos.

Left hand man of the fargoth fanclub! PM lamafunguy to join.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
lets watch this thread die like i should have on page 1
I might be judging it wrongly but in the run in the second solo in this video it sure as hell looks legato to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGdstwaxhcU
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.