If other stuff entails "blues" and "classic rock" then yeah. Maybe some Iron Maiden or Black Sabbath.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue
If other stuff entails "blues" and "classic rock" then yeah. Maybe some Iron Maiden or Black Sabbath.

but black sabbath used a Gibson SG but im sure t hat iron maiden uses single coil
Your going to get a more tinny (trebley) sound with a single coil and lots of feedback.

Whatever you do, dont try to play something like LoG on a single coil guitar (hell, I wouldnt recommend playing Lamb Of God in general) - a few local bands where I live have done this and seem to have no idea it sounds terrible.
Quote by Slacker996
but black sabbath used a Gibson SG but im sure t hat iron maiden uses single coil

Iommi used a strat on I think it was one of the songs on their first album before it messed up (all songs were wirtten using this strat though) also after that he did get an SG but for ages it was used with P-90 pickups which are very similar to singles.

And single coils can do metal I think they sound awesome, give off a very harsh tone, maybe not a "creamy" tone, like all this new trivium, BFMV, avenged sevonfold etc lark won't sound right with a single coil most likely but I find in most cases a single coil sounds great for metal.

Also if you then roll of the guitars volume you can have that twangy crunch that is loved so much.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Iommi used a strat on I think it was one of the songs on their first album before it messed up (all songs were wirtten using this strat though) also after that he did get an SG but for ages it was used with P-90 pickups which are very similar to singles.

And single coils can do metal I think they sound awesome, give off a very harsh tone, maybe not a "creamy" tone, like all this new trivium, BFMV, avenged sevonfold etc lark won't sound right with a single coil most likely but I find in most cases a single coil sounds great for metal.

Also if you then roll of the guitars volume you can have that twangy crunch that is loved so much.

I tried the volume thing it sounds almost like you're using distortion
The volume knob is one of your best friends, the tone and volume knob with good work can change the sound of one amp and pickup setting so much.
Get used to it by having one tone setting and working the volume so low = clean middle = crunch and full = overdrive this is what I do when playing Rory Gallagher stuff, I have the tone about half/60% ish then work the volume knob most of the time it's on crunch but for stuff like Million Miles Away it's magic.
They make humbuckers that fit into single coil housing. They dont totally sound like humbuckers, but they are much thicker sounding than single coils. carvin makes them, they call them twinblade pickups. I think seymoure duncan makes a similar product, but I dont know much about them.
from personal experience. it wont be the tone you are looking for. i use texas specials (3 single coils) and ive tried plenty of times. i like a wide range of music but i love the sound of texas specials and its hard to get that type of tone. most metal tones come from humbuckers so i think that'd be a great start.
What are they tuning, a harp? - Kurt Cobain

1961 Black Strat (Fralin pickups)
///
Vintage Vox Wah V846
MJM London Fuzz
Sovtek Big Muff
Fulltone Deja Vibe
EH DDM
Boss TU-2 Tuner
///
Fender Super Reverb 4x10
Quote by Slacker996

Iron Maiden modded their Strats with Humbuckers. Adrian Smith (I think) lives by the DiMarzio Super Distortion.

I hate the sound of my single coils on distortion.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
*Iron Maiden BOUGHT their strats with humbuckers.

And I've seen them use singles, stacked singles and humbuckers.

ANd those "Humbuckers that fit into a single coils housing" CAN sound very bad, I assume you're talking about hot rails and stuff?

Either go single or not, easy.