Hi,

I'm definatly getting the EMG 81 for the bridge. I want to know the best neck pickup by EMG that can do great cleans and classic rock stuff. I would also use it for like Funk stuff (Red Hot Chili Peppers) I'm thinking the 85, but I don't really know about the 60 and stuff like that

Thx

Koi
Active pickups are not known for their ability to do classic rock.
EMGs have been known to a lot of heavy metal bands. so nope they are not for classic rock
They can with the volume rolled down on the guitar, you just have to find the exact spot for light distortion, and on cleans just put it on the clean channel and EQ...its all about EQing.
Emg's are capable of covering a lot of tones, trust me, so long as you have a good amp and you're confident with your eq.

If you want cleans and a classic rock tone go with a 60 in the neck or an 89 for the coil split.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
The 81 isn't so good for blues, but despite their rep, the 85 or 60 can do blues or classic rock no problem.

Main thing is the amp as already said - if your amp can't do it, then pickups won't make **** all difference!
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
For the price, there are better pickups for metal, which are much more versatile. I don't see why you should have to spend hours to bugger around with an eq to get a passable tone, when you can buy pickups that are capable in the first place.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

if you want some samples of the emg's clean i have some on my ug profile and my d music

http://tom01.dmusic.com/

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/tommyt/music/

the only tracks not done with the emg's are faux classical and in loving memory

Quote by jimbob78
For the price, there are better pickups for metal, which are much more versatile. I don't see why you should have to spend hours to bugger around with an eq to get a passable tone, when you can buy pickups that are capable in the first place.

the clue is in the title .... classic rock
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22

Quote by daeqwon10000
Quote by Steve The Plank
Try Seymour Duncans for Classic Rock mate.

Thats not my point, because I play everything from Metallica to the Beatles, and The Who to Rage Against the Machine, and The Clash to the Red Hot Chili Peppers also what about a DiMarzio Super Distortion and a PAF?
Quote by SgtKoi
Thats not my point, because I play everything from Metallica to the Beatles, and The Who to Rage Against the Machine, and The Clash to the Red Hot Chili Peppers also what about a DiMarzio Super Distortion and a PAF?

Yeah, I wouldn't use EMGs trying to emulate any of those bands, seriously, except MAYBE Metallica. It's a waste of money if you haven't got the amp for it too. And judging by those bands and styles you've listed, you're gonna get more use out of pickups that are suited for those genres.

I would recommend EMG's if you had a huge Marshall stack or a Mesa Boogie or something and intended to play music by bands like Children of Bodom, Lamb of God etc.
Quote by SgtKoi

Even though the Super Distortion is really high-output, it's still very much a classic rock-sounding pickup, mainly because it came out in the early '70s. I'd recommend a Tone Zone or a Steve's Special in the bridge, and something like a PAF Pro in the neck. That should be a pretty good set for someone who wants to play everything on his guitar.
why are you even getting EMGs if you're gonna be using it for classic rock and RHCP?

get some goddamn PAFs!
Quote by Steve The Plank
Yeah, I wouldn't use EMGs trying to emulate any of those bands, seriously, except MAYBE Metallica. It's a waste of money if you haven't got the amp for it too. And judging by those bands and styles you've listed, you're gonna get more use out of pickups that are suited for those genres.

I would recommend EMG's if you had a huge Marshall stack or a Mesa Boogie or something and intended to play music by bands like Children of Bodom, Lamb of God etc.

Metallica have used EMGs since the mid '80s, dude. I think they started using them for MoP. Anyway, EMGs are the best pickup to get if you want to sound like Metallica. I'm just saying.
Quote by Holy Katana
Metallica have used EMGs since the mid '80s, dude. I think they started using them for MoP. Anyway, EMGs are the best pickup to get if you want to sound like Metallica. I'm just saying.

Oh, I know Metallica use EMGs man, I mean, in comparison to all the other bands he's listed, and how he specifically said he wants to play funk in his original post.
there are better choices for pickups considering what you want to play. If you wanted to play mainly metal, and some classic rock, i'd say maybe, just roll back on the tone and volume.
But no. There are better pickups out there for classic rock.
EMGs are rather versatile if you go with na 85 on the bridge and a 60 or 89 in the neck. However, I feel the Seymour Duncan JB and '59 combo is even better for covering a little bit of everything.
Quote by CJRocker
EMGs are rather versatile if you go with na 85 on the bridge and a 60 or 89 in the neck. However, I feel the Seymour Duncan JB and '59 combo is even better for covering a little bit of everything.

A Custom and a '59 is a little better, so I've heard. Either way, that's probably the best combo for anyone who really wants to play a little bit of everything.
Quote by tommyt

the clue is in the title .... classic rock

I got that. I just assumed he wanted them as an all round pickup, as they're a somewhat strange choice for classic rock. Sure they can do it.... there are just better options.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Well another thing you could do, if your budget allows are to get these:
www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk

The Miracle Man is an 81, but passive. Then you put a Mule in the neck, possibly the GREATEST classic rock/ blues pickup around IMO.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Gabe

You know I respect your opinion mate, and that I love Bareknuckle pickups but the guy wanted to know 1 thing and 1 thing only.

He wanted to know which EMG to put in the neck of his guitar so he could get the tones he wanted, and trust me, getting those tones with an EMG 60 isn’t hard at all.

You know I’ve been on UG for a while, and more and more i see threads where people posting just fail to answer the question being asked, instead they just push whatever product they like as much as they can. I love EMG's and I’m happy to admit that but i don’t go into threads about Duncans or Dimarzio and say "GET EMG'S THEY'RE BETTER" ...... ill try and give them advice about their choice of pickups and if i don't know about it, ill stay the hell out of the thread.

Now here's an example of someone who should stay out of threads when they have no idea

"EMG =/= Clean"

Twevo here has just made the mistake of talking straight out of his rectum and by doing so has shown that he is pretty damn ignorant when it comes to EMG's and the range of tones available from them and as such, should probably avoid thread where he has no useful information to give .... or maybe just go post in the pit where it doesn't matter and (insert meme here) passes for wit.

Holy Katana

I've seen you post before and even in this thread your quite sensible, your helpful, but the point is your not helping this kid at all

he didn't ask about duncans or any passive pickups .... he already wants an 81 in the bridge, he's decided that ... he wants an EMG pickup to cover his range of tone.

I play in a trio and have to go from Queen to Bon Jovi to Billy Joel and I use my Les Paul for all of them, and I can get the tone's I need without much trouble at all so please don’t try and tell me Emg's cant do cleans or play blues or jazz.

EMG's are excellent metal pickups, that’s true but that doesn't change the fact i can go from playing Killswitch or COB to playing along to some BB King or Pat Metheny while using them.

All you guys had to do was answer a rather simple question and pretty much all of you failed to do that and I have to say that’s one of the main reasons I’m getting so sick with the current state of UG.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22

Quote by daeqwon10000
Last edited by tommyt at Nov 26, 2007,
^No problem.

The thought came to my mind since the Miracle Mans are EMG copies, only passive. The thing is that I recommended them because I think they might have been in his pricerange.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
^No problem.

The thought came to my mind since the Miracle Mans are EMG copies, only passive. The thing is that I recommended them because I think they might have been in his pricerange.

Yeah dude, I see what you're saying, but I really don't understand it.

They might be in his price range, but if they are then an actual EMG definitely is and with some change left over.

If the guy likes the tone of the 81 in the bridge .... has no problem with it being an active pickup (as some seem to) then why get a more expensive passive version?

like I said Gabe I honestly do respect your opinion on most things but i think this thread has taken a wrong turn when a guy asks for options on an active pickup in the neck and someone recommends him a more expensive passive pickup in the bridge ... don't you?
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22

Quote by daeqwon10000