OK so I've been playing for 11 months. I can play solos by other bands but i want to know how they come up with it. I only made one good solo without randomness. So would I need to learn scales for tsoloing? I'm sorry for the noob question but, What is a scale?
Quote by nasstyman
i busted a g-string while fingering a minor...
Quote by 18zzz18
REPLY DUDE! YOU COULD BE THE SAVIOUR OF THE EARTH AND ALL OF MANKIND! (:
0h @nd U M@Y H@V3 2 T@LK L1K3 TH1S..... 1TZ TH3 L@NGU@G3 0F TH3 FUTUR3
Quote by RMC06
My old band teacher once called me a penis wrinkle.
Im no pro at definitions nor guitar, but I guess a guitar is a sequence of notes that played together fit and sound nice ?¿

And yeah, I suggest learning scales mate. At least the minor pentatonic one, it's basic stuff and will widen your range of possibilties.
Theory helps immensely when learning to improvise...a little knowledge goes a long way. To start out on that road you need to first learn two things - the notes on the fretboard and the major scale, everything else you'll encounter in theory refers to them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
if you're sent home to write asolo for a song, then imagine a melody in your head, and then work it out on guitar. Scales help, but steve vai says its not soloing when people play notes in a scale up and down the guitar, and i finally get what that means
Quote by Deagle-Eyes
Im no pro at definitions nor guitar, but I guess a guitar is a sequence of notes that played together fit and sound nice ?¿

And yeah, I suggest learning scales mate. At least the minor pentatonic one, it's basic stuff and will widen your range of possibilties.
yeah I really want to learn them. I want to expand my knowledge of playing. They have scales here right?
Quote by nasstyman
Quote by 18zzz18
Quote by RMC06
Quote by steven seagull
Theory helps immensely when learning to improvise...a little knowledge goes a long way. To start out on that road you need to first learn two things - the notes on the fretboard and the major scale, everything else you'll encounter in theory refers to them.
I have never used scales before. What does "#C" or "G" mean?
Quote by nasstyman
Quote by 18zzz18
Quote by RMC06
Those are notes - there's 12 notes on the fretboard in total. It seems really daunting to attempt to learn them all but it's not that bad as they appear in a constant pattern that keeps repeating. The full fretboard looks like this...

http://www.allmusicmethods.info/chordguide/guitarnecknotes.gif

but if you start by learning the open notes and simply counting along and narrow down the distance you need to count along it gets easier...like this.

Quote by me!
1 - learn the open strings...E, A, D, G, B, A
2 - familiarise yourself with the pattern of intervals along the open string, you don't even need to learn it by heart yet, just have it for reference.

3 - realise that the 12 fret is the octave of the open string, and therefore the same note.
4 - realise that the pattern of intervals is constant, so 12 th fret onwards is identical to open string onwards.

... as far as working out notes goes you are currently never more than 6 frets away from a reference note. However, counting along 6 frets is kind of clunky and not particularly easy, but it's a start.

5 - learn the notes that correspond to the next open string, so 5th fret on the E, A, D and B strings, 4th fret on the G

...all of a sudden you're never more than 3 frets way from a known reference note. All of a sudden working out the notes you don't know became a lot easier...almost twice as easy, in fact.

6 - locate the other octaves of the open notes, first the ones on the next string... 7th fret on the A, D, G and high E strings, 8th fret on the B string. Then the octaves two strings away so 2nd fret on the D and G strings, 3rd fret on the B and top E.

7 - in the same way, locate the octaves of the notes you learned in step 5

...all of a sudden you're now never more than 1 fret away from a known reference note!

Trying to learn them all at once is incredibly daunting, but if you can break it down and at spend a little time working out the notes an gradually building on your previous knowledge you'll have it down in no time.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Those are notes - there's 12 notes on the fretboard in total. It seems really daunting to attempt to learn them all but it's not that bad as they appear in a constant pattern that keeps repeating. The full fretboard looks like this...

http://www.allmusicmethods.info/chordguide/guitarnecknotes.gif

but if you start by learning the open notes and simply counting along and narrow down the distance you need to count along it gets easier...like this.
Thats alot. But its worth it. I'm going to pring out that diagram. Thank you. So If im learning scales and it says something like (this is out of randomness because i dont know) C G# F etc. will i have to use the chart?
Quote by nasstyman
Quote by 18zzz18
Quote by RMC06
#C means the C is played one semitone higher. In guitar, that means that instead of playing C chord, you'll move the same chord (Supposed you are playing it with the root on the 6th string) one fret to the right, so it gets higher.

And yes, have a look at the webpage, you'll find things around.
Quote by MetallicGod07
Thats alot. But its worth it. I'm going to pring out that diagram. Thank you. So If im learning scales and it says something like (this is out of randomness because i dont know) C G# F etc. will i have to use the chart?

If you are talking about C G# and F chords, then you'd better learn their shapes on the 6th and 5th strings (very similar to the 5ths, but with additional notes).
So how do i read scales? I'm sorry for the stuipid questions. I just need to learn.
Quote by nasstyman
Quote by 18zzz18
Quote by RMC06
There are 100-odd frets, but only 12 different notes and the pattern is always the same...starting from the low open E you have.

E F F# G Ab A Bb B C C# D Eb

...after Eb you simply start back from E again at the 12th fret. Don't worry about the colours yet....

lthe notes appear in the same pattern on every string, so for example the A string is...

A Bb B C C# D Eb E F F# G Ab

See how the pattern is exactly the same, it just starts from a different note - the colours are just there so it's easier for you to see where the pattern started on the E string.

Once you learn the pattern - even just on the low E, it becomes easier to locate notes, and the more you do it the better you get.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by Deagle-Eyes
You read scales as they appear on diagrams. You'll just play them one after the other to see what it really sounds like.
errrr....I just went on the lessons sections here and i saw this.

e|R-|--|--|X-|--|X-|X-|X-|--|--|X-|--|R-|--|
B|X-|--|--|X-|--|R-|--|--|X-|--|X-|X-|X-|--|
G|X-|--|X-|X-|X-|--|--|X-|--|R-|--|--|X-|--|
D|X-|--|R-|--|--|X-|--|X-|X-|X-|--|--|X-|--|
A|X-|X-|X-|--|--|X-|--|R-|--|--|X-|--|X-|X-|
E|R-|--|--|X-|--|X-|X-|X-|--|--|X-|--|R-|--|

I dont understand....
Quote by nasstyman
Quote by 18zzz18
Quote by RMC06
k...that's a basic scale diagram for the blues scale in E, however don't go down that route yet. A diagram like that is designed as a quick reference for that particular scale, however what it won't do is actually teach you about the scale, how to use it, what the notes are, how it works etc.

Wikipedia isn't always the most reliable source of info, but the music stuff is pretty good and also a good starting point...just ignore all the overly complicated bits and skim out the basics.

This tells you about the general concept of scales...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_scale
and this details the first and most important scale you should learn, the major scale.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_scale
as far as how this all relates to the guitar...
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/scales/major_scales_explained.html
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/the_basics/the_basics_part_4.html
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/scales/scales_for_beginners.html

The most important thing with learning about scales is to try not to get hung up on patterns, boxes and where your fingers go. The key thing with scales is the notes themselves and how they sound together...if you remind youself to never learn a scale without learning which notes it contains and finding all the instances of those notes on the guitar then you'll get the absolute maximum benefit from learning a scale.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
k...that's a basic scale diagram for the blues scale in E, however don't go down that route yet. A diagram like that is designed as a quick reference for that particular scale, however what it won't do is actually teach you about the scale, how to use it, what the notes are, how it works etc.

Wikipedia isn't always the most reliable source of info, but the music stuff is pretty good and also a good starting point...just ignore all the overly complicated bits and skim out the basics.

This tells you about the general concept of scales...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_scale
and this details the first and most important scale you should learn, the major scale.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_scale
as far as how this all relates to the guitar...
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/scales/major_scales_explained.html
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/the_basics/the_basics_part_4.html
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/scales/scales_for_beginners.html

The most important thing with learning about scales is to try not to get hung up on patterns, boxes and where your fingers go. The key thing with scales is the notes themselves and how they sound together...if you remind youself to never learn a scale without learning which notes it contains and finding all the instances of those notes on the guitar then you'll get the absolute maximum benefit from learning a scale.
O.O Thank you for all your help!!!
Quote by nasstyman
Quote by 18zzz18
Quote by RMC06
Just don't panic and take it slow - bear in mind that people can spend a lifetime studying theory, don't worry if it doesn't go in straight away
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc