im in a group now and i'm going to have to start writing songs very soon, what do you suggest that i learn? im learning the pentatonic scales, what other scales should i be focusing on? because me and my singer/other guitarist are going to learn the scales and then we are going to like start recording

and also whenever i improvise in the pentatonic minor, it always ends up sounding the same, i need to learn some different licks, what do you suggest to discover new licks?
yes i know those, ive been playing for bout 2 years now, but what i meant about learning scales was learning them all over the neck
If you're gonna write songs, you'll have to focus on chord construction and progressions first. There's no point in writing solos if you have no context to put them in.
Quote by kyrreca
If you're gonna write songs, you'll have to focus on chord construction and progressions first. There's no point in writing solos if you have no context to put them in.

any suggestions for that?

and we already have a couple of simple progressions
You need to learn shapes to play all over the neck, you can either figure out the shapes by knowing what notes are in the scale your using and finding where those notes lay all over the neck, or do it by intervals if you find working with numbers easier. Or perhaps the easiest way to see someone who has mapped your scale all over the neck and just memorise it.

Im not sure what sort of genre music you wishing to write. Though im sure you can start writing songs before you know scales.

If any of thats confusing im sure theres in depth information in the lessons part of the site.

Goodluck.
well learn the major scale and all the modes. do the modes in order and that way you will travel up the neck. also be sure to practice all the shapes of the pentatonic. once you know the modes, try to mix them in with the pentatonic when soloing. i dont usually like to stick to just one scale all the time. if you think the song needs more notes, add them in.
well, in order to come up with some sick and interesting chord progs, it def. pays off to learn a little theory first. think about this for a second, imagine a major scale, now take every note in that specific scale and construct a chord using each individual note in that scale as the root for each chord. the trick is, you are using only the notes from that major scale to create that chord, so some will be minor chords and some will be major. this combination of major or minor chords relative to a certain major scale defines what key the song is in. and, no matter what key you are in, the order of the chords will be the same. the 'I' chord is always major, 'ii' is always minor, 'iii' is always minor, 'IV' is major, 'V' is major, 'vi' is minor, and 'vii' is diminished. you can do the same thing with a minor scale but the chord qualities will be different. now just place those chords into a progression, ie.) I-IV-I-V etc. keep in mind the V chord will always resolve to the I chord so it's nice to end on a V-I cadence.