Well I decided to save up for a Mesa Single Recto but I need to get a new cab first, 'cause 1. This Crate POS isn't gonna cut it, and 2. I want to go the 212 route cause I'm sick of carrying a half stack around.

I've always heard that Mesa amps and cabs go together like...something that goes together really well. Sorry, I'm no good at analogies.

...But, Vader cabs give me that same sense of heavy duty, tight modern-ness (if you know what I mean), and it's alot cheaper to go the way of Vader.

I can try out Mesa cabs at my GC but I have no way of playing Vaders, which is why I ask.

Help is much appreciated.

-Holden
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
Like peas and carrots?

I've heard good things about Vader and Mesa cabs, so this post doesn't really help you, except for the peas and carrots thing.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
like penis and vagina?

vader cabs trump mesas IMO. they have a clearer sound. huge, without being muddy.
They also handle 400 watts and i always understood it that it is best to push a speaker to pretty close to blowing without doing it. like a 50 watt amp with a 100 watt cab... but a single recto pushes 50 watts right? so it couldn't even begin to push those speakers to the point where they sound best
Setup
Shecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S2170 Prestige
Crate GT120
Ibanez Tube Screamer
Dunlop Cry Baby Original

Quote by GOD*OF*ROCK

And i was all like, no dude show me your DICK
^ alot of people(including myself) think that sounds muddy. the speakers will move with that recto for sure. but they wont break up.
Quote by Lumpelope
They also handle 400 watts and i always understood it that it is best to push a speaker to pretty close to blowing without doing it. like a 50 watt amp with a 100 watt cab... but a single recto pushes 50 watts right? so it couldn't even begin to push those speakers to the point where they sound best

There's 2 types of overdrive: Tube breakup and Speaker breakup. I personally don't care for speaker breakup.

I'm surprised so many of you prefer the Vader to the Mesas. That's good news for me, less money.

Do the Vaders use V30s? It doesn't say on their site.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
Sweet, I guess I'll be ordering a Vader 212 soon.

Can anyone recommend any brands that make custom sized road cases? I can't find any that have the right dimensions for a Vader.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
I would consider the Genz-Benz G-flex (used of course) or Port City's Wave 2x12 combos. They're a theile (spelling) style cab with a great sound.

Dave Wiener from Steve Vai's band uses them.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
I would consider the Genz-Benz G-flex (used of course) or Port City's Wave 2x12 combos. They're a theile (spelling) style cab with a great sound.

Dave Wiener from Steve Vai's band uses them.

I didn't realize the G-Flexes fetched such a good price used. Another thing to consider that I can't try out >.<

I've never even heard of Port City...Can anyone else comment?
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
Last edited by TehNez at Nov 25, 2007,
Quote by TehNez
I didn't realize the G-Flexes fetched such a good price used. Another thing to consider that I can't try out >.<

Port City
Mills Acoustics
Vader
Tone Tubby
Ear Candy

all specialize in cabinetry. Amplification isn't their focus, nor should it be. They're going to eat just about every company that specializes in amplification's cabinets alive.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by TehNez

I was considering the G-flex cabs a while back, but a few people I know told me they're muddy. which turned me to the same Vader cab you're talking about.

c'mon. it's $450 shipped. how can you argue with the price of an incredibly solid cab with good quality speakers? the eminence legends aren't the best on the market, but they're on the better end of the stick.

I plan to order the Vader 212 next week. I plan to pair it with a VHT Pitbull, which I'm buying this week. yeah, it's upgrade time. next it's a guitar. been looking at the Jackson DKMGT. they're pretty reasonable used.
Jumping Jax Champion 1965!
It depends on the size of the room. If you're right up on it, yes it's quite muddy because of all the bass coming through those holes. If its in a large room it gives a pretty good, well rounded tone.

Better speakers in it is a huge + as well. My buddy had a V30 and GT12-75 in his.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by 2_Fast_2_Vader
I was considering the G-flex cabs a while back, but a few people I know told me they're muddy. which turned me to the same Vader cab you're talking about.

c'mon. it's $450 shipped. how can you argue with the price of an incredibly solid cab with good quality speakers? the eminence legends aren't the best on the market, but they're on the better end of the stick.

I plan to order the Vader 212 next week. I plan to pair it with a VHT Pitbull, which I'm buying this week. yeah, it's upgrade time. next it's a guitar. been looking at the Jackson DKMGT. they're pretty reasonable used.

Yeah, I may order it next week, but I'm thinking a new guitar is more important, so probably sometime next month. Be sure to let me know how it is
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
Quote by 2_Fast_2_Vader

I ended up with a G-Flex because it was less muddy than just about everything else I tried. On the downside my clean channel is deader than it was with the other cabs I tried, but the dirty channels seem a bit sharper and more aggressive.

I did not have an opportunity to test a Vader when I was cab shopping.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Sort of a silly non inportant opinion but whatever.
I think that Vader cabs are sort of ugly. Yes, I know it has nothing to do with the sound/value/reliablility etc. BUT, I highly value aesthetics as an important factor when buying stuff.....so I say go with MESA.
Origonally Posted by Lauke_101
And you're right

Gibson>Moog>KJL>Homebrew 2x12

Saving 4 any one of these:
Soldano Hot Rod
Splawn (anything)
Laney GH50L
Cornford Roadhouse
Marshall JCM2000
KJL 4x12 to match KJL head
Quote by Butters8754
Sort of a silly non inportant opinion but whatever.
I think that Vader cabs are sort of ugly. Yes, I know it has nothing to do with the sound/value/reliablility etc. BUT, I highly value aesthetics as an important factor when buying stuff.....so I say go with MESA.
Lol, I totally agree. I think Vader cabs are pretty fugly too. They look like some hillbilly built them in his garage and sprayed them with truck bed liner. (no offense to the Vader cab owners, I'm sure they sound good)

I'm quite partial to Mesa cabs myself. I really like V30's and the cabs look clean and neat.
I personally enjoy having speaker breakup as part of my tone. It let's me run my amps gain a bit lower and I feel it is essential to having a very warm sounding high gain tone.
I also have a 400 watt H&K 4x12 and I find the speakers to sound cold and lifeless because they are so stiff and don't breakup much at all. Even with a 120 watt head.

Pushing a 400 watt cab with a 50 watt Single Rec. will probably have the same result. Who knows though, you may really like the resulting tone and it may work for you. These are just my opinions on the matter.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Last edited by Van Noord at Feb 4, 2009,