I have been playing guitar for years and have always had a problem with my right forearm getting to sore to finish songs that are a lot of down picking. For example Master of Puppets from metallica. I can play the song fast enough, but I can't keep up after a minute into the song. I work construction and swing a hammer all day long so I really don't feel that strength is the issue. I know it has something to do with my technique. I have tried several different things with no success. Does anyone have any pointers?
Use your wrist as much as possible without using your forearm. It takes some practice if you are used to using your arm, but just practice only using your wrist and you will eventually get better with it, and it's a lot less painful.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
i get the same exact thing all the time. and so does the other guitarist in my band. maybe we should both take what mafro said into consideration.
Use your wrist more. I usually rest my palm onto the bridge and use my wrist only.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
angel of death by slayer used to give me the same problem.. eventually i got it perfectly.. then master was a breeze.. sicne its all downpikcing..

just takes practice and time
i have that too, i tried to keep playing it started hurting even more and after i stoped it "burned" for like half an hour...bad idea i guess

better listen to mafropetee
---
i got tired of my signature and i no longer has one

---
the pain comes from too much tension in your fore arm (surprise!)

best way to get around it is to practice the songs while watching yourself in a mirror. some people say its sounds stupid, but how the hell can u look stupid when your by yourself?

any who, watch yourself play in the mirror playing normally. if u notice any pains, or too much tension you should stop and analyse how you can fix the problem (raising of the shoulder counts, its not 'emotion' most of the time when you do it).

the best way is to practice the song slowly to a point where you feel very fluid in your movements, but not forcing it too much. speed the songs tempo up slowly and if u see /feel tension build up, slow back down.

its that or tendinitis :/ but i doubt it.

p.s
tension is the body's response to situations where it isnt comfortable. so if thats any indication as to how your progressing, u will notice as you become more comfortable with your playing, everything will feel effortless.
You use different muscles chugging downstrokes than you do swinging a hammer. Anyway, follow the above advice and try to find a technique that is the least stressful and tense, and just build up your wrist strength.
Dimebag is overrated. Sue me.
Quote by Hadeed
the pain comes from too much tension...

practice ... slowly to a point where you feel very fluid in your movements, but not forcing it too much. speed ... up slowly and if u see /feel tension build up, slow back down.

-tension is the body's response to situations where it isnt comfortable. so if thats any indication as to how your progressing, u will notice as you become more comfortable ..., everything will feel effortless.

everyone re-read that, because it carries over to so much more than just playing an instrument. Its more difficult to make small adjustments with your muscles when they are tense. you tend to overreact with your movements and generally lack precision.
Like its been said, its just your body adding tension because you push it in a slightly uncomforable manner.
Rest your hand on the brdige so that you use the base of your palm as a pivot. You should be able to rapidly alternate pick/down pick for a few seconds without feeling anything in your arm. Keep trying till you find this position and practice with that.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
ive always been told that if you feel pain while playing you should stop, at least until the pain goes away because you might be doing more damage than you are doing to get better.
Thanks for all of the help. My problem was that my arm was just too tense. I concentrated on relaxing and I can play fast picking songs almost effortlessly now