I'm looking for a good leather or hemp bass strap. Are there any companies that are known for making nice guitar / bass straps? I'm looking for something a little wider than a regular 5$ strap (I've noticed that bass players sometimes wear wider straps.. Am I right in this observation?). Any ideas?
get'm get'm brand.
[img]http://www.fan2band.com/DynamicImages/97465_906_49_1997.gif[/img]
I use an onori strap....Its really pretty thick and comfy for me...I got it because my last strap broke after a month of use while I was playing...luckily I caught my bass before it hit the ground...I decided to get a nice thick leather strap to minimize the chances of that happening...sadly, I didn't invest in strap locks at the time and my bass slipped off one day...I didnt catch it that time.

anyways, if you're interested in onori

http://www.onorimusic.com/topgrain2.htm

I have the L7P...I think....only complaint, its so thick that straplocks are hard to get on.
i use a massive planet waves strap, made from the regular material straps are made of, but its padded so its extra comfy
I just came to the sad, sad realization that I own $230 of Levy's straps. Look into them, they have a strap for everyone. And 3 for me.

However, the ugly-as-sin Planet Waves Padded Comfort Strap is... padded and comfortable. It really is. Also, look into neoprene - a good material for bass straps.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
A hemp bass strap doesn't seem very comfortable...

Yamaha also has this bass strap with air cell pockets in it. Seems like a cool idea, although I haven't tried it.
Quote by NC777
I'm looking for a good leather or hemp bass strap. Are there any companies that are known for making nice guitar / bass straps? I'm looking for something a little wider than a regular 5$ strap (I've noticed that bass players sometimes wear wider straps.. Am I right in this observation?). Any ideas?

go for hemp then you can smoke your strap man
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
don't get suede or unfinished leather; it sticks to your shirt and is really uncomfortable.

I just use standard cheapo-straps, they never restrict movement. But if you want a really good wide strap, get a Planet Waves 3 1/2" woven poly strap. It's super-smooth, padded, and REALLY comfortable. I use one on my P-bass because it's really neck heavy, and helps distribute the weight more evenly. but my other basses get the $4 Fort Bryan or Ernie Ball straps
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
While hemp has that counterculture Phish head mystique and does "breathe", it wears badly (frays) and doesn't offer the level of comfort a good padded leather strap does. Levy's are worth the money and your back and shoulders will thank you, esp. if your frame and shoulders are on the small side.
You can always try to make your own strap, then you can make it as wide as you want...and you can make it out of hemp or whatever if you really got ambition
Quote by thefitz
I just came to the sad, sad realization that I own $230 of Levy's straps. Look into them, they have a strap for everyone. And 3 for me.

However, the ugly-as-sin Planet Waves Padded Comfort Strap is... padded and comfortable. It really is. Also, look into neoprene - a good material for bass straps.

thats the one i have, yeah its ugly as crap, but it was only 20 bucks, and it is so comfortable
Quote by Zar938
i use a massive planet waves strap, made from the regular material straps are made of, but its padded so its extra comfy

Gets my thumbs up! I believe the material is called neoprene, but don't quote me.
Would leather straps hold up better than normal straps? I threw a regular strap on my bass and the thing ****ing broke because the bass weighs so much.
Quote by Hergiswi
Would leather straps hold up better than normal straps? I threw a regular strap on my bass and the thing ****ing broke because the bass weighs so much.

While they distress a bit overtime, my leather straps have all outlasted my other straps both for guitar and bass. My current one I used to use on my 13 pound Accubass and its held up quite well.
Quote by mountaindew88
don't get suede or unfinished leather; it sticks to your shirt and is really uncomfortable.

+1

I have a suede strap I use for my five-string, and while it goes really well with the color (brown strap with an orangeish sunburst... or something), I have to lift it to move it.

However, I have a black leather strap that I've used with my four string ever since I bought it which was four years ago or so and it's held up really well. Only cost me ten bucks, I believe.
i have gone through about 20 cheap-ass 2" nylon straps. i now use a LM, 3" leather strap, with Schaller locks, and i love it. the width matters more than the brand. Levy's make excellent straps, also. i paid $25 for mine, with no regrets.
I use a Perri's leather airbrushed, its fairly wide, comfortable, and cool designs (i got the tribal one)