Well i'm getting ready to make a guitar and I was wondering what wood I should use. I will use it to play all different types of music from blues to metal. The two I am most interested in are swamp ash and mahogany although other suggestions are welcome.
Well im staining my telecaster that has a swamp ash back. Are you going to paint it a single color or stain it, or neither?
Just curious; why have you chosen those two woods?

But anyway...

With swamp ash you're going to get a bright and punchy tone. It's a pretty light wood which you will want to keep in mind when making your neck (so it doesn't dive to the ground). It also has a pretty good looking grain to it which looks pretty killer under stains.

Then with mahogany you're going to get a warm, well-rounded tone with great sustain. Gibson uses mahogany in many of their guitars. It's a little heavier than swamp ash, with a darker, close-knit grain to it.
Quote by Slavik
Just curious; why have you chosen those two woods?

But anyway...

With swamp ash you're going to get a bright and punchy tone. It's a pretty light wood which you will want to keep in mind when making your neck (so it doesn't dive to the ground). It also has a pretty good looking grain to it which looks pretty killer under stains.

Then with mahogany you're going to get a warm, well-rounded tone with great sustain. Gibson uses mahogany in many of their guitars. It's a little heavier than swamp ash, with a darker, close-knit grain to it.

Its heavy as ****......it really is. I dont know how heavy mahogany is, but my ash tele body was about 10-12lbs, not including the quilted top i put on. But it does have a bright punchy tone. Warmoth.com has a "tone chart" that you can scroll down and see what different types of wood offer.
Are you talking about ash or swamp ash? Every swamp ash guitar I've ever held was really light, especially compared to my mahogany Les Paul. I'm not sure if I've ever played on a plain ash guitar.
Signatures are overrated.
Quote by dogismycopilot
They are the same thing.

They are not the same. There are two specific types of ash usually used when making a guitar.

It will usually either be Northern Ash (Hard Ash) or Southern Ash (Swamp/Soft Ash). Hard Ash is a very dense wood that weighs a considerable amount more than Swamp Ash.

Swamp ash is lighter than hard ash and has a much more punchy tone quality to it, where as Hard ash has a much longer sustain.

Not the same at all...