Alright, heres the deal. I've been playing guitar for 3 years now, got some seriously good gear -Vox AC30, Fender Jaguar, PRS Se custom and some solid effects pedals.

But i want to start playing bass.

I love the bass tunes on heaps on Santana songs, namely Aqua Marine, and i love chris from muse.

So i was thinking of getting a bass setup. Theres a good deal for a Warwick Corvette Standard 4 string at my local rockshop. $700NZD i believe, maybe a little more. I'm not to worried about price, i'm more focused on investing in solid gear. So what do you think of the Corvette Standard?

Also, i need a decent amp. Bass amps leave me clueless. I want a decent practice bass amp, something that is good quality for recording, because i don't play to gig as a bassist. So a small bass amp that sounds good is also in order. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help. I'm a complete bass noob.

EDIT: So i discovered it isn't a warwick. its called "Rockbass by Warwick", which i am assuming that it is like squier to fender. does that lower is quality considerably?
Last edited by FunctionF2 at Nov 26, 2007,
well, I can't tell you too much about the corvette because I havn't tried it, but I've heard good things.

I can tell you a little bit about bass amps, forgive me if i cover something you're well aware of, but you said bass amps leave you "clueless" so I'll assume you have zero knowledge.

1. You won't find a practice sized tube bass amp, and likely not even a practice amp with a tube preamp. The ss tube disctinction does not carry into bass amps. Most bass players use solid state, yes even the great ones, so don't worry about that at all, it means less distortion (which would be nice on guitar) instead providing clean sound up until you start to clip which is important for a bass.

2. most effects aren't as important to many bass players (not a set rule) but chorus, a compressor, and overdrive are used a lot. If you want to try out a lot of styles, if you want to slap and pop or even tap, a compressor is a very good idea for a bass, If you can find a nice practice amp that has one built in go for it, if not, invest when you feel you need it. Think of a comp for bass like reverb on a guitar amp, some amps have a dedicated section for it, some don't have it, doesn't reflect quality or anything, it's just a nice feature some players like to have. You can always get a pedal or rack processor later.

3. 30 watts minimum for a practice amp, I say go for a 100w combo at least anyway. Take what you'd want for watts in an SS guitar amp for any occasion and double it. 15w ss super low end practice guitar amp=30 watt super low end practice bass amp.

4. Don't worry about multiple channels or distortion on your amp. Some high end amps have multiple channels or overdrive channels built in. Not many practice size amps. Don't worry about it, most bass players do this through pedals/DIs etc, not through their amps. The gain knob on most bass amps is pretty much clean gain all the way up.

People in these forums will likely recommend you try out some ampeg combos and some ashdown combos, these are most popular, you just have to try what feels good, the roland cube is fun too, I personally wouldn't record with it because the effects and modeling sound cheesy, it is a great songwriting device though and pretty cool (built in comp and multi effects!)

If you get a combo with a 15 inch speaker make sure it has a horn.
Other than that, all I can say is try before you buy, you've been playing guitar a while, you should have a good musical ear, but try to get in the bassist mentality before you decide on one. I'm sure the great people on the bass forums here will give you some nice specific suggestions about what amps to try. I hope I settled some major differences between guitar amps and bass amps.

*edit: OMG I'm sorry that is so long.. a cookie for anyone that reads the whole thing.. other than the TS, he asked for it.
thanks man. thats a lot of good information. and yeah i asked for it lol. i'm not too worried about distortion on bass, but chorus and compression sounds good.

Anyone got any ideas about the warwick rockbass Corvette?
Rockbass are a solid starter bass manufacturer. Probably the best in the price range for starter basses.

If you don't play with others, any wattage bass amp will do that sounds good to you.

For playing with others, 100W is bare minimum, 150W better.

Just stay away from Behringer.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Yes, the rockbass corvette is nice (see my profile if you want a picture). I have it since summer, and I have to say that I am fully satisfied with it (even though I would prefer a satin finish now, but that's not a problem). Nice sound, playability, and quality. I paid for it 450 euros with active pickups (873 NZD).
Dingwall Afterburner I 5 string
Warwick Blue Cab 30 practice amp
Quote by thefitz
But hold on - you're debating on whether or not to buy a bass or keep your house? That's pretty fucking hardcore!
I own a corvette standard which I bought for 2000NZD at the rockshop....
If the rockbass is anything reflective of its more expensive counterpart, I just recommend buying it. Most likely it will be a solid bass, Warwick hasnt been known to make bad gear.

As far as an amp i recommend a Ashdown Perfect 10. Its like 30 watts, which is far enough for practice and is defintely a decend sounding amp.
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.