i was playing with my bassist friend the other night and we came up with a pretty sweet bassline. im trying to write a guitar part around it, but i have no idea where to start. this will be my first time writing a song so any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.
Is it a pretty simple, walking bassline or is it relatively complex? If it's the first, try to build chords based in the note being played on the bass. Not necessarily the root, but somewhere in the chord's triad. If it's complex, try to build a simple, complementing riff or lick in the same key as the bassline.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
i think its relatively complex compared to most bass parts. its not just 4 notes over and over, its actually like its own little riff. i dont know how to find the key its in though. i have a basic understanding of theory, but not that much.
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.
counterpoint ftw.... but that may be a little outta reach for you (especially if yer asking the question about how to do this) i'd say figure out the scale and write a counter melody to it
Post a tab of it, I'll let you know what key it's in.
Learn some theory. Easiest way to write stuff is to find out what key you're in then write stuff appropriate to that key.

I would be going with building chords off the bass line IF that's possible. If not maybe have the guitar play the same thing?
sig goes here
Quote by Kartman
Post a tab of it, I'll let you know what key it's in.

its not the exact tab, but its something along the lines of
0-0-0-0-2-3-------------2-3------
---------------0-1-1-1-1-----1-3-5
---------------------------------------
-------------------------------------

i have a book called the complete idiots guide to music theory that im reading right now. ive read through most of it already but i havent taken the time yet to understand everything it was talking about.
Quote by Yakult

Quote by DubStar92
Last edited by Ktool The Girth at Nov 26, 2007,
Quote by Ktool The Girth
its not the exact tab, but its something along the lines of

We have the notes:

E, F#, G, B, C, D

Thus, it is in E minor.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
Quote by MadassAlex
We have the notes:

E, F#, G, B, C, D

Thus, it is in E minor.

thanx so much for all your help everyone. i hope one day ill be able to return the favor.
Quote by Yakult

Quote by DubStar92
Quote by MadassAlex
We have the notes:

E, F#, G, B, C, D

Thus, it is in E minor.

G Major would be much more appropriate.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Quote by BassistGal
G Major would be much more appropriate.

how do i tell which scale it is? i know it has to do with the notes but i cant quite remember how.
Quote by Yakult

Quote by DubStar92
e minor or G major it doesnt matter the both work i think yr thinking of modes not keys and Either way one isnt better than the other it just depends on what feel you want for the song
Quote by Ktool The Girth

this is not E minor no matter which way you cut it. if this is standard tab like this

Quote by Ktool The Girth

G-0-0-0-0-2-3-------------2-3------
D----------------0-1-1-1-1-----1-3-5
A---------------------------------------
E-------------------------------------

then your notes are

G,A,Bb,D,Eb,F

which are all the notes in G minor (it could also be D phrygian but it really looks like G minor by all the G's at both the beginning and the end)

the only note missing from G minor is C

i recommend G minor

NOW if its upside down from standard tab like this

Quote by Ktool The Girth

E-0-0-0-0-2-3-------------2-3------
A----------------0-1-1-1-1-----1-3-5
D---------------------------------------
G-------------------------------------

Then it would be kinda E minor, it would essentially be E minor with a flattened fifth (theres probably some kind of technical name for it but i would just look at it like E minor with a flattened fifth)

E, F#, G A, Bb, C, D (this is the best way i could think of to write it out, really though scales are supposed to have either sharps or flats or both, ideally you could also look at it as E minor with a Bb accidental)
Last edited by z4twenny at Nov 26, 2007,
Quote by MadassAlex
We have the notes:

E, F#, G, B, C, D

Thus, it is in E minor.

Well, no it would be G minor. If I'm reading that tab right, it's being played on a bass, so the highest line in the tab would represent the G-String, so it's in G minor.
just keep playing G minor chord over that bassline if you are playing rhythm/acoustic. if playing lead come up with a simple riff you can do once in a while since your basing your song on that bassline while the other instruments are playing g minor chord.
eh my 2 cents