So im taking German in university and im failing miserably at it. Just wondering if anyone else here has taken German before and how they did. Studying techniques would also be awsome.
Took it for two years. Year two they gave me a different teacher who was an ass, and I failed it miserably.

Wie gehts?
well all im taking is an introductory course right now, probably no different than what you learnt.

edit: mir geht es gut... i think
Last edited by fuzzypicklez at Nov 26, 2007,
I was under the impression that German is easy for most native English speakers.
:stickpoke
Quote by fuzzypicklez
well all im taking is an introductory course right now, probably no different than what you learnt.

edit: mir geht es gut... i think

You go it good? : P. I've never heard that before, but it does sorta make sense I suppose, Im not a german pro or anything, but I would think, Ich bin gut? hehe

Im in my third year of it.
Honestly the best thing for me is to just talk it.
Find someone who speaks it well, and just have a conversation for ten minutes a day.

Then make notecards with important words on them.
Make rhymes for rules or something.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
Thats how we really learned it. Get a friend that can speak it and have a basic conversation with them in German.

Till then, Auf Wiedersehen (bet i spelled that wrong)
Use it as much as possible, speak all the time and read as much as you can. It's like practicing anything else.

I took it for three years, and I've taken many other languages. Nothing beats being in the country whose language you are trying to learn.
Oppression, quiet and Repressed
Swept under the seams
the bed of the acquiesced
where we sleep, insomniac dreams
I remeber one time i said "ich bin gut" to my teacher and she told me that was wrong and told me something else I think what I said was it but im sure something got lost in the memory bank. I think its because "wie gehts" is short for "wie geht es dir"
Any exposure would work as long as you found good translations.
Oppression, quiet and Repressed
Swept under the seams
the bed of the acquiesced
where we sleep, insomniac dreams
We actually had to translate some Rammstein songs. That **** made no sense what so ever but it would help.
I'm in my 5th year of German - 4 years in high school and now 1 in college. As of right now, I'm taking the introductory literature course, so I'm completely done with grammar. I didn't find it too hard to pick up after a couple of weeks and I suppose I have some skill in it.

As far as studying vocabulary (everyone's mind works differently though) I found a very useful method. I break a vocabulary list down into groups of ten with flash cards. I will study the first ten and once I get them down perfectly, I will move onto the next ten. Then after perfecting your knowledge of the second ten, you test yourself on the past twenty or all the cards you've gone over in total from the beginning to the end. Then once you do that, study the third ten and then test yourself on all thirty, etc. etc.

As for grammar, I never really had to study for it. It just kind of came to me and I understood and remembered it very easily. But some things I always keep in mind:

1.) Conjugated verb is always in the second 'element' of the sentence. The only exceptions are for suboordinate conjunctions or relative pronouns.

2.) The order of secondary information (words that are not objects) is always 1. Time 2. Manner (with whom, by what means) 3. Place.

3.) Nicht or auch or similar words usually work best after all the objects have been established.

4.) An indirect object always comes before a direct object UNLESS the direct object is a pronoun.

5.) MEMORIZE YOUR ENDINGS - adjectival, ein-word (mein, sein, ihr), and der-word (welch, dies, jen)

That's all I can really think of right now. If you have a specific question you can PM me and I'd be glad to help.

P.S. Sorry if my writing is a little 'off' - I'm still a little high right now.
"Let's not be too rough on our own ignorance. I mean, after all, it's the thing that makes America great." - Frank Zappa while on the Arsenio Hall Show

Quote by vintage x metal
On a side note, TS, love the username. I'd kill to be under you.
update: wOoT!!! I had a German test today and after pulling an all nighter I think I finally passed another one. This was our 10th one and I have only passed 4 of them before this so im pretty pumped if I made Nummer funf.
Learning the tables for "The " Helps a **** load,

Nom, Akk, Dat, Gen
Masc
Fem
Pl
Nt.

(Those that don't know, there are 16 different ways of using "The" in German
i did 6 years.

years 7 - 13. including A level.

just study the grammar loads. the vocab isn't too difficult.
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
Quote by Zach_F
You go it good? : P. I've never heard that before, but it does sorta make sense I suppose, Im not a german pro or anything, but I would think, Ich bin gut? hehe

Im in my third year of it.
Honestly the best thing for me is to just talk it.
Find someone who speaks it well, and just have a conversation for ten minutes a day.

Then make notecards with important words on them.
Make rhymes for rules or something.

It makes perfect sense in german

So, kommt jemand hier aus Deutschland oder Oesttereich? Ich wohne jetzt in Wien aber ich bin England/Schottlander. Wenn jemand hier aus Deutschland oder Oesttereich kommt koennte wir ein UGer treff machen. Vielleicht wird es lustig sein.