Hey guys, I apologize if this has been covered already (which I'm sure it has), but I'm going to ask anyway.

I'm in a "garage band" and we want to record our songs. What we've been doing, is basically, plugging a condenser microphone into our computer, and playing live and recording through Audacity. It works, but it's not exactly studio quality. I know nothing about pre-amps and mixers, and whatever else. Can anyone give me advice, on the best way to record a whole band? We've been thinking about getting a device to plug our guitars directly into the computer, and layering, but that doesn't resolve the problem with drums...

Thanks for the help everyone...
I think there's a program you can buy from Wal-Mart or any other major store like that. I'm not sure what it's called. But they sell a lot of different kinds.
Quote by minibrowny
Word on the street is, this girl called axel i think it was, spent the night in a disused barn eating owls.
Quote by mulletman500
I like my women like I like my coffee... male.

Yeah, but I sing like an amputee though.
Why?
'Cause. Can't hold a note, can't carry a tune.
To solve the drums problem you can buy some Shure SM57 mics. They're one of the most versatile mics (or so I've heard). You might want to buy a small mulit track recorder with a decent amount of tracks for drum recording, but if you get a mixer aswell, you can reduce all the mic'ed up drum parts to about 2 tracks.

I hope that made sense, and I hope it was right, but your best bet would be to head to the Riffs and Recording section of the forum, there's a tonne of stuff there.
Take a look at the Riffs and Recording forum, there are a lot of issues you need to think about.
There is poetry in despair.
do what you said with the interface; then for the drums use the condenser mic. Do whatever works for you but the pros record every drum (snare, kick, high tom, low tom, hi-hat...) on a different track. The problem is going to be getting everything timed up. im learning how to do that, its kinda complicated, though I'm sure good software helps, I definately dont have any suggestions there.
by interface do you mean, guitar-to-computer? I've seen the devices that turn the 1/4" connector into a USB, but how else can I do it? I see pre-amps and stuff like that all the time and have no idea wut to do with them, but I'm sure they'd help ha.
Wahtever you do , don't do what wyantsm said. If you are multi tracking drums , you need to do them all at the same time, not one at a time.

Right, how many instruments aare you recording altogether, and how much money are you willing to spend ?
There is poetry in despair.
use a metronome, play each instrument seperatly to the metronome and put it in a multi tracking audio program.

mix everything, make sure nothing clips.

export.

then there's all the good stuff about effects, compressors, eq and all the hush things studios do.

you won't get anywhere near studio quality if you don't know what you're doing and you're not willing to spend money to get it done.
Quote by wyantsm
do what you said with the interface; then for the drums use the condenser mic. Do whatever works for you but the pros record every drum (snare, kick, high tom, low tom, hi-hat...) on a different track. The problem is going to be getting everything timed up. im learning how to do that, its kinda complicated, though I'm sure good software helps, I definately dont have any suggestions there.

They each have their own mic, yes, and so they have their own track, but they are all recorded at the same time.

Anyways, TS. Really it all comes down to how much money you want to spend, and how much you yourself know about recording.

If you have a Mac or access to one, use Garageband. It's not as great of software as Pro Tools, but it will do the trick. As for the recording itself, you could do the guitars and bass on their own individual tracks, plugging into the computer, and then live record the drums. The drums will probabaly sound much more distant than the other instruments at first but once you edit it it should be alright.

Alteratively you could buy a Multi-Track mini studio. Boss make some that are decent.
I'm not looking to spend much...maybe $200...I have a condenser mic, and 3 behringer xm8500 mics...that's it....We're going to be recording bass, 2 guitars, vocals, some backup vocals and drums. If you guys could mention specific products (with links) that would be wise to purchase, I'd appreciate it.