Edited to fit in line with suggested format.
I'm looking for a high quality head, less than 1400 at this point, but adding about 350 per month(willing to wait a bit, but I don't want to wait for 5-6 months). I'm looking to play shredsy stuff, Vai/Satriani/Zaza if I could find tabs. Current gear is Gibson L-6S -> Digitech Metal Master -> Crate GX15R. I'm not too bad skill wise, and I'll just practice till I sound decent if all I can hear is mistakes. Prefer strongly to not buy used.
I have the Steve Vai 30 Hour Workout. If you want it, pm me with your email address.
6 person(s) served.
Last edited by aeginotu at Nov 26, 2007,
Marshall JCM2000, if all you wanted to get was HIGH gain, then get a 5150/6505
You probably dont need a head/cab and combos (although not as sexy as a half stack) are MORE than sufficient for any room. So having said that, I suggest the Carvin V3. $999 shipped to your door (if you ask them nicely) and it'll do everything from Coldplay to the heaviest of Rectifier tones. You'll save a bunch of $$$, too.
I have one and love it.
While I know a half/full stack is far more than I need, I want something I won't need to upgrade for a long time and can use if I ever do a show. Any idea where I could try out a Carvin(I'm in chicago)?
I have the Steve Vai 30 Hour Workout. If you want it, pm me with your email address.
6 person(s) served.
Meh afraid you cant unless you know someone who has one

Just listen to clips and watch videos of it

And if you dont like it just send it back
Perhaps you could get an Engl or something? High-gain isn't my territory, so I can't point you in the direction of a particular model, but they're worth a look.
Unless you find a used one, you'll have to just trust all the hype around Carvin's products and buy direct from them
Good thing is, though is that they offer a ten day, no questions asked return policy from the day you receive the amp so you can test it out in rehearsal or whatever.

I've had several Carvin amps (MTS3200, X100B & V3) and loved them all.
Vai uses them and you seem to be a Vai fan. Go w/ the Legacy! It's a great amp for under 1G.
I'm not sure if this belongs here, but what kind of pickups would give me a good tone for what I'm looking for. I've got stock pickups in a Gibson L6-S, it is ALL maple.
6 person(s) served.
bogner ecstacy, engl se, soldano, vht pittbull, maybe splawn too (haven't tried splawn)? diezel vh4 (not amazing cleans, though)...

bunch of options.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Don't ecstacy's run like $3000?
6 person(s) served.
er... possibly.

I'm just used to the US being so much cheaper than over here...

you did say you could save up, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That'd take like a half a year though...
US is cheaper for some things, high end stuff is pretty similar universally I think.
Less wait is better though, I'm really sick of my trashy set-up. I'll try out everything I can at a GC when I'm off vacation. Would they have a JCM2000 there?
6 person(s) served.
maybe, but if you ask me you can do much better in the US than a jcm2000 for the price they go for- marshalls are one of the few things you americans do have to pay through the nose for.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Are Marshall 1960A/B cabs good for what I'm looking for?
If not, what are some good cabs/speakers?
6 person(s) served.