Page 1 of 2
I have an oral book report that is due in a few weeks and I would like your recommendations of any good books you know. Keep in mind however, it needs to be on level with an honors 10th grade lit class, and I would prefer something in the fantasy adventure or sci-fi genres. So shoot me your ideas!

EDIT: I also hate books that are too allegorically complex X( (i'm not good with symbolism and ****)
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Last edited by C.C. Deville at Nov 26, 2007,
you could read Dune.
If you can play music with enthusiasm and an honest effort, then no matter how flawed, noisy and unclean the music is, you are a musician. If you play just to be the best, you are not a musician, nor are you worthy of any musician's recognition. - me
Smoke by Melanie Jane Banner.
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
read one of the Halo series of books, but if you do, i recomend starting witht he first one, The Fall Of Reach, it takes place before teh game, and kinda tells you how master chief came to be, and even if you havn't played hte game, it's still an amazing story
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
lol, oral.

right, now thats out of the way....

...erm, dont read a lot of books, sorry!

1984?
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
haha from i think dune is a bit TOO long for this
Quote by C.C. Deville
I have an oral book report that is due in a few weeks and I would like your recommendations of any good books you know. Keep in mind however, it needs to be on level with an honors 10th grade lit class, and I would prefer something in the fantasy adventure or sci-fi genres. So shoot me your ideas!

EDIT: I also hate books that are too allegorically complex X( (i'm not good with symbolism and ****)

You said ORAL!
Quote by C.C. Deville
haha from i think dune is a bit TOO long for this

nonsense. I read it in a week
If you can play music with enthusiasm and an honest effort, then no matter how flawed, noisy and unclean the music is, you are a musician. If you play just to be the best, you are not a musician, nor are you worthy of any musician's recognition. - me
Quote by C.C. Deville
oral

olololololol

Anyway, do something short and easy to analyse in detail; also rather obscure and uncommon.

Something different, interesting and very thought provoking (on so many levels) would be "Roadside Picnic". You'll see about the title. A great sci-fi story, from which the STALKER movie and game are based. It's not overflowing with symbolism, like you said. It spends much more time developing themes and raising questions, if that makes sense.

Even if you don't report on it, read it anyway. It's great. I think you can find it as a free e-book too.

EDIT: OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOGM THEY ARE MAKING A FILM OF IT!!!! Starring John Travolta, of all people.
Last edited by Vermintide at Nov 26, 2007,
Sabriel

I thought it was good. There's Lirael and another one which I forget the name of after.

Edit: Abhorsen is the last! Doubt it's spelt that way though.
I second on Life of Pi

idk how simple the book can be (cause this one is a bit, not severly under youre level, but i liked it for some reason) but i liked the book Shades Children, i did a report on it last year and got detention for ending the report "oh, and here's a count of how many times they said f**k in the book =]", but clearly you dont have to be dumb and do that haha
Northern Lights? Reasons: amazing book, fairly short with some great concepts and inventions.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████

You'll Never Walk Alone
Last edited by kidsilcon at Nov 26, 2007,
anything by Michael Crichton, I recommend The Andromeda Strain, Timeline, State of Fear, and Jurassic Park
Anything by Isaac Asimov, I recommend Caves of Steel, The Foundation Trilogy and The Stars, Like Dust.
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
LOTR
and if you wanna get a little rough, Red Dragon by Thomas Harris
I have one due in a month or so for 10th grade British Lit. class.

I read Heroin Diaries.
i'm kinda liking "a clockwork orange" it seems like something i would be interested in but after reading some reviews it seems like the slang in the novel is hard to get by. Any opinions on that?
Enders Game.
Quote by noxiosimitator
I play guitar long then half the people here .. and I suck double as much

EDIT: on the guitar
EDIT EDIT: in playing with my guitar
EDIT EDIT EDIT: I give up
If you're into scifi read some Philip K Dick.
Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep is a bloody good read.
Better yet, read I Am Legend, my Richard Matheson.
The Stand, Cell, Christine, Misery, Carrie etc...All by Stephen King.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Quote by Cyberbob
If you're into scifi read some Philip K Dick.
Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep is a bloody good read.
Better yet, read I Am Legend, my Richard Matheson.

im guessing thats what the movie coming out is based on... seems interesting ill look into it
Quote by C.C. Deville
im guessing thats what the movie coming out is based on... seems interesting ill look into it

Read Enders Game. Just go do it. Now.
Quote by noxiosimitator

Definitely Agree with Enders Game by Orson Scott Card

Great read, and I recommend picking up the other books in the series as well. I'm on Xenocide myself, book 3.
A Brave New World...
Clockwork Orange

also a book that is really gaining popularity at the moment is "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini, the first novel published in English by an Afghani writer. Takes place in Afghanistan and brings marvelous perspective to things happening in the Middle East today. He just released another book which I haven't read but The Kite Runner was really good so I'm going to go after it.. think it's called like "A Thousand Splendid Suns."

Anyway, good luck.
man so many good looking books suggested here haha idk which one to go with
Quote by C.C. Deville
man so many good looking books suggested here haha idk which one to go with

Enders Game.
Quote by noxiosimitator

Quote by Cyberbob
Life of Pi, just cause it's an amazing read.

I want to read that book so bad...

Anyway, I would go for A Clockwork Orange. It's my favorite book, but you may find yourself re-reading parts of it 'cause of the nadsat. It's not hard to understand though, and you'll get a feel for it as you read the novel. That was one of my favorite parts while reading it.

Dune is also good. Read it! And maybe Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury. Or if you want a more comical approach, pick up Slaughterhouse 5 or Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut.
Quote by C.C. Deville
i'm kinda liking "a clockwork orange" it seems like something i would be interested in but after reading some reviews it seems like the slang in the novel is hard to get by. Any opinions on that?

It can be bemusing at first but after a few chapters the language is quite easy to understand. It's an amazing book though.

I think you'd like Fight Club too... read both!
Terry Pratchett Terry Pratchett Terry Pratchett Terry Pratchett Terry Pratchett Terry Pratchett Terry Pratchett Terry Pratchett Terry Pratchett Terry Pratchett Terry Pratchett Terry Pratchett Terry Pratchett Terry Pratchett Terry Pratchett Terry Pratchett Terry Pratchett Terry Pratchett Terry Pratchett Terry Pratchett Terry Pratchett Terry Pratchett.
1984 BY GEORGE ORWELL

omg. great book.
in which the population is enslaved by logic bureaucracies.
LaLaLa ZoomZoomZoom
Quote by lukephillips000
Terry Pratchett Terry Pratchett Terry Pratchett Terry Pratchett Terry Pratchett Terry Pratchett Terry Pratchett Terry Pratchett Terry Pratchett Terry Pratchett Terry Pratchett Terry Pratchett Terry Pratchett Terry Pratchett Terry Pratchett Terry Pratchett Terry Pratchett Terry Pratchett Terry Pratchett Terry Pratchett Terry Pratchett Terry Pratchett.

I concur. If you want a fantasy book but with lots of references to the actual real world, try any of the Discworld series. His latest book, 'Making Money' is spookily similar to what's happening in Britain right now. His best book is probably 'Thud!' though.

Other sci-fi type books that might be useful to you are 'Brave New World' or 'Slaughterhouse 5'.
Page 1 of 2