i think this is where this goes and i couldnt find an eq thread so here is my eq thread.

if there is a thread(i failed to find it) please link me to it.

anyone with some time olz feel free to make a tutorial type post explaianing in depth. it would be much appreciated

ok i hear alot about EQ's i know that raising your low setting will increase your lows and same with highs,etc. but what exactly does all this mean? basically what im asking is:

what are mids, highs, and lows?
How do they function?
what do all the things on equalizers do?
What should you adjust them for?
How do they change your sound?(like making it more shallow giving it more girth...)
and stuff like that.

Left hand man of the fargoth fanclub! PM lamafunguy to join.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
lets watch this thread die like i should have on page 1
Last edited by mohawkkidJohn at Nov 26, 2007,
I cant go too deep into this because i havent had a whole lot of experience with EQ's, but i can give you the basics.

When someone says 'the highs, mids, and lows' they are talking about the actual high mid and low (a.k.a. treble mid and bass) frequencies being played. If you take your amp and crank the highs all of the frequencies above and around a certain frequency will increase in volume, this is why if you turn the bass up mids and highs down your higher notes will be very muffled and quiet. Hope this clears it up a bit. im sure others can get more specific

*edit typo
so it isnt like a balanced thing/ cause they way i thought of it was like this

bass + trebles + mids cant be over a certain amout together. like a fraction for instance.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
hmm. im not exactly sure what you mean when you say 'certain amount'. amount of volume?

There is no corillation between the three though. If you turn the treble up, the bass doesnt go down. If you have your three knobs turned up all of the way all frequencies will have a very high volume, there isnt a proportion involved
lows, mids, and treble refer to sound frequencies.
Lows = up to about 200-300 Hz (I think)
Mids = 200 Hz - 2KHz
Treble = above 2 KHz

ie, if you boost the mids, it means the sound within that spectrum ill become loudet. If you cut the mids, you will be frowned upon.
Quote by shrugs1434
hmm. im not exactly sure what you mean when you say 'certain amount'. amount of volume?

There is no corillation between the three though. If you turn the treble up, the bass doesnt go down. If you have your three knobs turned up all of the way all frequencies will have a very high volume, there isnt a proportion involved

yeah that is what i meant. how would i change them to get the sound i want? how do i know which 1 to change?

Quote by InvaderTSN
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
Quote by kyrreca
lows, mids, and treble refer to sound frequencies.
Lows = up to about 200-300 Hz (I think)
Mids = 200 Hz - 2KHz
Treble = above 2 KHz

ie, if you boost the mids, it means the sound within that spectrum ill become loudet. If you cut the mids, you will be frowned upon.

ok but how exactly does changing them make it sound?
like what does each change in your sound

ie scooping your bass/mids/treb would give you a _____ tone.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
Quote by mohawkkidJohn
ok but how exactly does changing them make it sound?
like what does each change in your sound

ie scooping your bass/mids/treb would give you a _____ tone.

The lows emphasize the lower register, If you turn them up to much, you'll get a "boomy" sound, if you turn them down too much, it'll sound thin.

Treble, as stated, are the upper frequencies. Turn them up too much, and it'll feel like an icepick through your eardrums. Turn them down too much, and it'll sound a bit muffled.

Mids are between lows and treble, and they make your sound fuller.

The best way to understand it, is to trey playing through your amps with one of them on 10 and the others completely cut. DO this for all three, and you'll get the jist. Then try blending them until you get the tone you want. Sounds too boomy? Turn down the bass. Sound a bit thin? try boosting the mids.

The best way to get the hang of it is to experiment until you get the tone you want.
thank you. well ive have also heard 3 band eq's 5 band eq's and 7 bands etc. what are the other bands? what do they do?and what types of music use which setting most? like deathmetal uses ____ most or blues uses _____ most...

Quote by InvaderTSN
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
Well, it's not like it's three separate boxes. Think of it as a scale that goes from zero to infinite. The human ear can hear frequencies between 20 Hz and 20000 Hz. A regular three band EQ divides it into three parts: when you boost the mids, you boost all the frequencies defined as mids on the particular EQ. An equalizer with more bands gives you better control, because each of the ranges you can boost are smaller.

Ie, instead of boosting/cutting all frequencies between 200 Hz and 20000 Hz like on a three band EQ, if you had a multi-band Equalizer, you could subdivide it into smaller frequency ranges, and boost the high mids or whatever.

To get an idea of different three band EQ settings for playing different styles, check out the "Ultimate Settings" thread in the gear form.
If you wish to discuss EQ as pertains to guitar effects, GG&A would be the best place for this.

If you want to learn about EQ regarding recording, go to Riffs & Recordings

*Closed*
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out