About a year ago I set a goal for myself to try to play a solo show/gig. While I have only been playing guitar for about a year and a half, I feel I am ready for my first one. After all, no matter how much you prepare there is always room to improve and there's no sense waiting till I'm 80 years old. I had a couple questions for people who have done this before.

What is the usual length expected of a solo guitar show? 15 songs?

While I have done some writing of my own, I feel like the songs I cover sound better. Is it okay to mix covers with your own songs?

Any other suggestions you may have are appreciated. For my first time, I am going to try to get a spot at a local coffee shop or something like that. Something small where I can wet my feet a little. Thanks!
Advice...hmm...Dont throw up before hand like i did.
"Even though I've found God, I still love blow jobs, and I still say fuck." - Dave Mustaine

You know, when you, like, you grab a woman's breast and it's... and you feel it and... it feels like a bag of sand when you're touching it.
15 songs!? No way. Nobody wants to listen to you for that long Just play 3-6 songs at some sort of open mic event. If people like your sound, they'll let you know. If they don't, you'll be out of there quick enough.

For your first gig a few covers would be a good idea.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
perhaps try a cover to get the audience interested and then play your own stuff
its always good to cover songs when first starting out, that way people can recognize songs you are playing and maybe realize you are talented if you play them well
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
its ok to mix your own songs with some covers...

its always good to set up your own equipment for peace of mind... ive had bad experiences with other people setting my stuff...

theres my advice ^^
I'd do like, a 5 song setlist, 3 covers and then 2 originals. Do a cover first, though, then the audience will be interested. Near the middle (3rd song) do an original.
The.
Remember to actually BRING your instruments...

Yes i am speaking from experience
Chances are your first few songs will get you warmed up and use to being on stage so those should be your most farmiliar or your most well known. The harder songs should be towards the end after you get comfortable. And also im saying stay away from anything sloppy in case the moment gets the best of you and you **** up something that didnt sound that great to begin with. So just start with something slow easy and catchy to get you in the rhythym, remember the more fun you have with it, the more the crowd will.
yeah 3-6 is good for an open mic...
i would start off with a cover that people would know to get people interested then go into some origional... intermix one MAYBE 2 covers in.

do some squealies in the name of Dime at the end...
Quote by LaGrange
remember the more fun you have with it, the more the crowd will.

+5645483265
there's nothing more important than having fun with it, bro
if you've got a smile and you're moving it'll make people more into what you're doing and hide any mistakes that may happen
odn't look like frankenstien... SMILE! have FUN! do a little shimmy-shake in the chair
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
any time, man, good luck with it
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
my first gig, I'd been playing for a month. It actually went really well...mainly cos the songs were easy.

still yeah mix in your own with covers, its always good to here new stuff

oh and if you can, have half a pint before you go on. It relaxes you a bit but doesn't effect your playing
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
half a pint? lightweight, half a pint does nothing to anyone. anyways TS whered you get the idea of 15 songs? lol thats like a marathon, i dont think ive even seen headliners with that big a setlist.
If you run into any trouble, flip your guitar in the air.
Quote by Crazymike100

You disgust me.

Quote by jack_off_joel
bro u are definately gay

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
A backstabbin' bitch who calls himself the 'oracle'?

Quote by 100%guitarmad
I AM GOING TO HAVE TO REFER TO THE FIRST QUOTE IN YOUR SIGNATURE

UG loves me so much. Do you?

MY NAME IS JACOB. CALL ME THAT.
just play everything clean and dont look like an idiot. dont just stand there but dont act like youre the greatest thing ever.
Do you know my name?
Do you know my NUMBER?
15 songs lol i dunno i played a solo piano recital wayy back when and i did close to 15 songs so i thought that was reasonable haha
Quote by ch715dallat
half a pint? lightweight, half a pint does nothing to anyone. anyways TS whered you get the idea of 15 songs? lol thats like a marathon, i dont think ive even seen headliners with that big a setlist.

I'm not a lightweight mate, its just if I start drinking pints, I'll carry on drinking them untill I am pissed. Half a pint chills me out...a bit like a bottle of beer after work
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate