So today I went to my local music store and tried out a few amps: The Orange Tiny Terror, the Mesa Heartbreaker (or something like that, haven't really heard of it before) and the Peavey Valveking 112

Well the Tiny Terror, I was expecting QUITE a bit from it, seeing all the reviews from everyone here. I was very disappointed, I tried it out for at least 30 minutes, and I couldn't get the right tone out of it, sounded very muddy and quite fuzzy. Same with the Mesa.

( No flaming, that's just my opinion )
Now, the Valveking, I fell in love almost instantly. The Distortion on it was just right, and it had quite a lovely sounding, but not the best, Clean Channel, and it handled, blues and rock quite well.

So overall, the Valveking was the best out of the 3. I'm going back tomorrow to try out the Maxon Od808, the Digitech Whammy, and a Vox ClydeMcCoy wah. I'll report back to you all and let you know how it went.

My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
Last edited by I Be Andyy at Nov 26, 2007,
Well the Tiny Terror, I was expecting QUITE a bit from it, seeing all the reviews from everyone here. I was very disappointed, I tried it out for at least 30 minutes, and I couldn't get the right tone out of it, sounded very muddy and quite fuzzy. Same with the Mesa.
Er, how loud were you playing them exactly? The Valveking sounds a lot better at low volumes but cranked up a bit, the TT and Mesa would outclass it by a long way...
Well, the TT was up at halfway for a while till I turned it down, becuase it got a bit annoying. And the Mesa I didn't turn up too loud because of the loud Buzz it had.

And about the B-52, i'll make sure and try it if they have it
My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
nice spam.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

When I heard the TT demos from the Orange reps earlier this year, they cranked the crap out of it (yes, very loud), & it sounded considerably better well past half way up IMO, pretty dang nice rock tone. I agree it's a bit weak & fizzy below that without an OD. I'd try it w/ an OD first before you give up on it, but if you love the VK, go for what suits you, obviously!
Nice spam, well stated. Thanks!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
I tried the Valveking recently and loved it as well, I got the chance to crank it and it sounded great for £260. I'm getting one for christmas.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Well, I played with the Mesa for around 30 minutes as well (I wanted to really know if I liked it or not) And I had honestly never heard of it before, But most Mesa's are pretty good, so I was tempted to try it out. I played with the knobs, and Still it sounded the same, a tad muddy, very loud humming, and it sounded more or less for the tiny terror, at about twice the price..I did not, though, try it loudly, on fear the buzz would deafen me.

And I didn't get a chance to go today to try out the pedals, But assuming they have them, I'm going to try out a Maxon OD808, EHX Big Muff, and a Danelectro Wasabi Forward-Reverse Delay, and probably the Digitech X Series, <<I know they have those, because they have a pedal board full of 'em with the amps. They don't have the Digitech Whammy or Vox Clyde McCoy though...

My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
Last edited by I Be Andyy at Nov 27, 2007,
Rawr, Didn't go again today, But I AM going tomorrow..Anyone have a few other distortion pedals/wah pedals/others that you could point me towards?

My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
Quote by I Be Andyy
Well the Tiny Terror, I was expecting QUITE a bit from it, seeing all the reviews from everyone here. I was very disappointed, I tried it out for at least 30 minutes, and I couldn't get the right tone out of it, sounded very muddy and quite fuzzy.

Yep, that happens if you turn up the gain too much. The preamp volume should really be below halfway to avoid that sound.
Alrighty, today I didn't get to try out my OD-808 and Clyde Mccoy wah like I wanted to, because they dont have them in-stock

BUT, I did try out the: Boss DS-2, Boss MD-2, Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde, and some large black distortion, Sorry, can't think of the name right now I'll get back to you on that one..

But anyway I started out with the DS-2...I was looking for more of a mid-high gain pedal, this just couldn't cut it. The distortion was simply muddy and unappealing.

The Boss MD-2, exact same pedal, different Looks..

Jekyll And Hyde- I loved it! It was an amazing pedal, Lovely Gain, the boosts gave it that extra "Oomph", and it can do Several styles of music..And MAKE sure when you try this one out, you don't just turn on one Overdrive (the red light) turn on the green one with it! Sounds amazing for More 80's Rock or Ac\Dc-ish sounds.

I'll let you know about the other one when I think of the blasted name!

Peavey Dirty Dog! Alright, it was a good pedal, it had pretty good gain, but I just felt the Jekyll and Hyde was a bit better, you definitely need to try this one out to see if you like it or not. What works for some, doesn't work for others.

(Note: These views on these pedals are just MY opinion, make sure to try them before Excluding them from your list. And also, don't flame me because you don't like something I said, just do the world a favor, and click away from this thread.)
My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
Last edited by I Be Andyy at Nov 29, 2007,
Was it the new V2 Jekyll and Hyde you tried?
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Quote by jxljxl
Was it the new V2 Jekyll and Hyde you tried?

No, it wasn't the new one, it was the older version. Sorry it took me so long, Been cramming for finals.
My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
ohmagawd. in my opinion the TT is miles ahead of a VK... In fact, I'd rather have a valvetronix than a VK. But to each their own. And also the TT takes some time. The night I got it, I didn't think it was anything too special and i was slightly disappointed, in fact. After a week or so, I became more comfortable with it and I loved it! You have to know how the volume/gain knobs work with each other to get the most out of it. Also, the Tone knob makes WAY more of a difference than you might think. The TT needs a patient player. That's the only way you'll get it to rock your socks off. Also, it helps if you're cranking it. And it is more of a classic rock amp. i use it mainly for blues and classic rock. If you were trying to get it to sound "br00tal metallzzzz" and just cranking the gain and wondering why it sounded shitty, that would be why.
And yes I realize that it's just your opinion that it isn't good. This is just my opinion
Quote by rush5757
ohmagawd. in my opinion the TT is miles ahead of a VK... In fact, I'd rather have a valvetronix than a VK. But to each their own. And also the TT takes some time. The night I got it, I didn't think it was anything too special and i was slightly disappointed, in fact. After a week or so, I became more comfortable with it and I loved it! You have to know how the volume/gain knobs work with each other to get the most out of it. Also, the Tone knob makes WAY more of a difference than you might think. The TT needs a patient player. That's the only way you'll get it to rock your socks off. Also, it helps if you're cranking it. And it is more of a classic rock amp. i use it mainly for blues and classic rock. If you were trying to get it to sound "br00tal metallzzzz" and just cranking the gain and wondering why it sounded shitty, that would be why.
And yes I realize that it's just your opinion that it isn't good. This is just my opinion

Haha, thanks for the non-flammyness. But yeah, I tried different settings with the gain and tone, and couldn't really get it, and I am looking for something a bit more "gainy" than what the TT can provide. I mean, for classic rock, yeah it can handle it. Also, I wasn't looking for an amp to crank, more of a bedroom level at the moment.

Happy holidays Mate!
My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA