I am definitely leaning towrads a Marshall Amp for Christmas, I was thinking 300 - 600 dollars. Suggestions please!! I want a good rock tone out of my amp if that helps any. I play classic rock and blues.
No marshall for you with that budget good sir

edit: unless you buy used.
Quote by Chikitty_China
Good lord. You are amazing.

Quote by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
Quote by bizzle06
I am definitely leaning towrads a Marshall Amp for Christmas, I was thinking 300 - 600 dollars. Suggestions please!! I want a good rock tone out of my amp if that helps any. I play classic rock and blues.

Oh there are coming guys here soon that are gonna be sooo jealous of you because you buy a Marshall while they're stuck with their Randalls, Rolands, Peaveys or whatever lol, but don't worry :p Marshall's still great
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Quote by Hultan
Oh there are coming guys here soon that are gonna be sooo jealous of you because you buy a Marshall while they're stuck with their Randalls, Rolands, Peaveys or whatever lol, but don't worry :p Marshall's still great

But you want to switch to Orange
Quote by Chikitty_China
Good lord. You are amazing.

Quote by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
Maybe switch to Orange, but that's Orange
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
ignoring your price range (lol), you should save up more and get a JCM900 with a 1980 cab.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Quote by bizzle06

There are no Marshalls worth getting in your price range unless you go used, and even then I don't think there's anything that's ideal.

Peavey Classic 30 or Crate Palomino V32

Quote by DiveRightIn63
ignoring your price range (lol), you should save up more and get a JCM900 with a 1980 cab.

For classic rock and blues? Riiiight....
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
in your price range id look at the peavey windsor. Its not great but its basically a marshall clone in your price range (almost.. you can probably haggle down to 600 for the head and cab)
Gear:

American Strat
Epiphone Valve JR head - Volume Mod'ed
Custom 1x12 with Private Jack speaker
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss DS-2 Distortion
Boss MT-2 MetalZone
Ebow

Gretsch Acoustic
The only thing you'd be able to get would be an MG or an AVT.

DO NOT DO THIS.

Save up and wait for a JCM 800 or something. And before you get bent on Marshall, go and try a plethora of amps, then you'll know what you really want.
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
You can get decent halfstack for 600 but nothing beats a marshall tube amp.
Also orange amps are good for a vintage rock sound.

RIG
-2 B.C. Rich Metal Masters
-Takamine G320
-Boss Metalzone
-Fender Frontman 15R
-Crate XRL15R
-monster cables
METAL HEAD 13
Quote by FMH
You can get decent halfstack for 600 but nothing beats a marshall tube amp.
Also orange amps are good for a vintage rock sound.

You really can't y'know...

..oh, and you can put your gear in your sig
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull

i guess we have different ideas of classic rock. definitely not for blues, though.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no Marshalls worth getting in your price range unless you go used, and even then I don't think there's anything that's ideal.

Peavey Classic 30 or Crate Palomino V32

he might be able to get lucky with a dsl 401. ive seen them go for 600, but then he'd have to pay shipping too...
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Why does it have to be a Marshall?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
^exactly what i was thinking. i love the classic marshall tone that comes from cranked plexis and jcm800s, but if i was playing classic rock and blues -- especially in that pricerange -- i'd look elsewhere. a peavey classic might work well for you, but also look into used fenders and the like. you might be able to find a blues deluxe used in your pricerange.
Why else? It's the most publicised brand on the market.
Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez RG 320 FM
ESP LTD AX-50
Boss MT-2
Boss CH-1
Belcat Delay
Digitech Jamman Solo
a marshall dsl401 can be found in that price range used
in fact, i once found one at that big guitar center sale for just $300! and i had the money, just not with me
Quote by 8footsativaist
Why else? It's the most publicised brand on the market.

following that superior path of logic, everyone on these boards should like soulja boy and justin timberlake more than dream theater and radiohead.
I have still somehow managed to never hear that Soulja Boy song.

I am part of the untainted.

I am Legend.

Tone > Brand name
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
just get what you want dude. just spend $600 on a Marshall that you think it's worth $600. there's the $600 worth of logo.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
The Answer is: NO.

Tell people your budget, what music you want to play, they'll recommend and amp.

Reason being Marshalls do make great amps, but you have to be able to afford it. And you can't. Don't confuse their great amps for their lower end stuff.. I did!
Quote by henza_x
The Answer is: NO.

Tell people your budget, what music you want to play, they'll recommend and amp.

Reason being Marshalls do make great amps, but you have to be able to afford it. And you can't. Don't confuse their great amps for their lower end stuff.. I did!

so did i.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Hultan

STUCK?!

DID YOU JUST SAY STUCK?!

There are actually lots of amps I'd rather have than some Marshalls tbh.

Marshall aren't as great today as they used to be.

Anyway threadstaret, check out a Ceriatone 18 watter too. Great Marshall 18 watt clone.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by bizzle06

The best, lowest end Marshall is the DSL401, and that sells for over $1000. And, frankly, there are lower priced amps out there that I like A LOT better. The Traynor YCV 50 Blue does a great Marshall crunch for less money, and offers better cleans as well.

For your budget, the best amp would probably be a Peavey Classic 30. New, they sell for $600, but you can regularly find them for $400 and under, used.

Please don't buy an amp just 'cause it says, "Marshall" in pretty cursive letters on the front. Many, many people have ended up with crappy, overpriced amps that way.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by Hultan

this guy brings phailness to this thread. why the **** would a marshall be better just cuz the brand name? if i played like heavy heavy death metal like behemoth, or children of bodom, why the hell would i be jealous of a marshall? there are rolands, randalls, and peaveys that r better than marshalls (depends which one, and wat music u play). this guy probably thinks MGs would own randalls, rolands, and peaveys.
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
Either buy a used tube combo now (some other brand) or save up way more money for a real, non-MG non-AVT Marshall. Valveking is an option new but I find that Marshall users don't think it sounds much like a Marshall, and I concur.
Quote by slatsmania
The best, lowest end Marshall is the DSL401, and that sells for over $1000. And, frankly, there are lower priced amps out there that I like A LOT better. The Traynor YCV 50 Blue does a great Marshall crunch for less money, and offers better cleans as well.

For your budget, the best amp would probably be a Peavey Classic 30. New, they sell for $600, but you can regularly find them for $400 and under, used.

Please don't buy an amp just 'cause it says, "Marshall" in pretty cursive letters on the front. Many, many people have ended up with crappy, overpriced amps that way.

+1

for comparison, here in the UK the traynor is about 50% more expensive than the dsl401.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by musicfreak003
this guy brings phailness to this thread. why the **** would a marshall be better just cuz the brand name? if i played like heavy heavy death metal like behemoth, or children of bodom, why the hell would i be jealous of a marshall? there are rolands, randalls, and peaveys that r better than marshalls (depends which one, and wat music u play). this guy probably thinks MGs would own randalls, rolands, and peaveys.

But who cares about like heavy heavy death metal? can't listen to that sh*t anyways.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Well the point was that Marshalls isn't the "end of all amps".

Rather opposite. I kind of dislike Marshalls. They can barely do their good amps good, the reissues being WAY INFERIOR to the originals.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Hultan
But who cares about like heavy heavy death metal? can't listen to that sh*t anyways.

Why don't you just stfu before you embarrass yourself further? Marshall amps have a special status in rock history, like Fender and Gibson guitars, that much is true. That doesn't mean that Marshall amps are the best amps in the world. The name means nothing. There are heaps of manufacturers that make better amps, and that don't ruin their reputation by selling overpriced low-end amps solely because of a well known logo.

And even if you don't enjoy death metal, there are lots of people who do. For their style (and most other styles) there are much better amps than Marshalls.
ive found three jcm 2000 this week for about 575...didnt buy them cuz i want a mesa dual recto.
Quote by kyrreca
Why don't you just stfu before you embarrass yourself further? Marshall amps have a special status in rock history, like Fender and Gibson guitars, that much is true. That doesn't mean that Marshall amps are the best amps in the world. The name means nothing. There are heaps of manufacturers that make better amps, and that don't ruin their reputation by selling overpriced low-end amps solely because of a well known logo.

And even if you don't enjoy death metal, there are lots of people who do. For their style (and most other styles) there are much better amps than Marshalls.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?