As the title states, I'm new to music theory. I was interested in it before, for a very brief period of time, before losing interest once again. I have decided to at least learn some, but I don't know where to begin. If it helps, I'm really into Buckethead and other experimental guitarists.
i dont know bout buckethead, but bout theory you should learn:
intervals
scales
chords
chord construction
(the 4 thngs are very related)
Ok, I'm just now looking into music theory... What purpose does it serve? I've been playing two years now... and been writing music for about 6 months. I've basically taught myself by what sounds good together and what doesn't. I can free-style solo, with or without backing, I can play BG riffs at will (not like that is ever terribly difficult if you aren't looking for something complex).

I guess the bottom line is, why should I take the time to learn music theory... is it going to give me a huge bonus as compared to just playing by whatever sounds good?

peace and coconuts,

-zC
^theory will help you write like never before. Theory isn't just whats written in the sticky, theory is basically writing experience put into words. What sounds good when and why.
Someone wrote (on these forums) the allegory, expecting to write good music without some form of theory is like getting a thousand monkeys with typewriters and expecting them to write shakespear standard plays. It's possible, and after a while it will happen, but shakespear with his theoretical play writing knowledge could do it better, faster.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by demonofthenight
^theory will help you write like never before. Theory isn't just whats written in the sticky, theory is basically writing experience put into words. What sounds good when and why.
Someone wrote (on these forums) the allegory, expecting to write good music without some form of theory is like getting a thousand monkeys with typewriters and expecting them to write shakespear standard plays. It's possible, and after a while it will happen, but shakespear with his theoretical play writing knowledge could do it better, faster.

True.

It's a tool. A damned useful one at that. It's up to the player whether they choose to use it or not. But like with any tool, it takes a little time to understand and get to grips with how to use it, before it starts to make things easier for you. Knowledge is power and all that.

And to the TS, try the sticky if you haven't looked at it already. It's worth a read.